TAI TF-X / Milli Muharip Uçak MMU Kaan

I don't get why people think that this aircraft is smaller than F-22 or even KF-21? (It is not)
has anyone said its smaller than the KF-21?
I think most people agree, its main body is thin (although the cockpit area is large)
but its quite long. possibly to accommodate the tandem bays
TheWarzone claimed so, thats why I kind of ranted

Can someone link me the official timeline or schedule of the project?
I heard that the plan had changed drastically last year: accelerating overall schedule, flying Ground Test Unit(which had done taxing recently), etc.

Can someone link me the official timeline or schedule of the project?
I heard that the plan had changed drastically last year: accelerating overall schedule, flying Ground Test Unit(which had done taxing recently), etc.
First flight of GTU-0 (not ground test unit) is scheduled to take place in late 2023.

First flight of Block 10 will take place in 2025.

Mass production still planned for 2029.

It has two side and two tandem belly bays.

View attachment 695938

now that there are clearer pics,
I think that the two small crevices in the bulkhead isn't where the side weapon bays are supposed to be, but maybe that these are the landing wheel bays instead , since its obvious now that the side bays open sideways not downwards

It has two side and two tandem belly bays.

View attachment 695938

now that there are clearer pics,
I think that the two small crevices in the bulkhead isn't where the side weapon bays are supposed to be, but maybe that these are the landing wheel bays instead , since its obvious now that the side bays open sideways not downwards
This is the side bay

View attachment 696069
yes i know, see our earlier posts. I already drew an outline of where the side bays are
the discussion we had was about the earlier gaps on the side pointing downwards

The nose section looks odd. Pointed up like the bow of a boat. However, an interesting addition to the 4.5/5th generation fighter club!

Last edited:
The nose section looks odd. Pointed up like the bow of a boat. However, an interesting addition to the 4.5/5th generation fighter club.
Call me crazy but this prototype has more 5th gen features than any other (supposedly) 4.5th gen aircraft.

Also the paint job (livery) is terrible. This is the climax of 50+ years of hardship and work, and here you come and showcase it with an ugly digital camo. Absolutely horrific.

The nose section looks odd. Pointed up like the bow of a boat. However, an interesting addition to the 4.5/5th generation fighter club.
Call me crazy but this prototype has more 5th gen features than any other (supposedly) 4.5th gen aircraft.

Also the paint job (livery) is terrible. This is the climax of 50+ years of hardship and work, and here you come and showcase it with an ugly digital camo. Absolutely horrific.
I won't stay for long. Don't worry.

I would imagine that later on they could unveil a special livery commemorating the 100 years since the founding of the Turkish republic. Pakistan did an interesting livery with their first JF-17

637e5bad93d27f0018906e06

nice, we finally have some side view pics!
I hope that we can get some high resolutions of the the third pic so we could figure out its bay arrangement.

its really interesting how far forward the intakes are.
from the front view, it looks like the lockheed/boramae/FC1-31
but from the sideview it looks quite different and unique

its also a lot thicker than the mock ups too

a comparison of the real plane and the mock up they kept using

looking back, its obviously different
but the general lay out is roughly the same
View attachment 696240
The main changes vis-a-vis the mock-up are the tailbone (meaning enlargement of the fuselage) and the location of the weapon bays. In short the aircraft got a bit fat which is a good thing in a 5th gen aircraft's case.

Plus the F-35 style hinged horizontal tails, which according to a few pages back are the size of an F-16 main wing, this thing is huge.

Plus the F-35 style hinged horizontal tails, which according to a few pages back are the size of an F-16 main wing, this thing is huge.
Yeah everything about this plane screams a high altitude air supremacy fighter (large control surfaces, EOTS&IRST, large radome, powerful engines, etc.)

I mean look at the size of that vertical stabilizer. It truly might be as big as an F-16 wing.

20230323_001437.jpg

Also the F-15-like underslung main landing gear. The intake location recalls the YF-22.

Attachments

• 050317-F-1234P-055.jpg
    050317-F-1234P-055.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 58
The nose section looks odd. Pointed up like the bow of a boat. However, an interesting addition to the 4.5/5th generation fighter club!

My theory is that it provides a greater field of view for the EOTS mounted on top of the radome.
I don't get your rationale

Roll a sheet of paper into a cone and hold it up to your nose until it is completely covered. Look down that pipe. Now flatten the top of the cone a little bit and see if you observe any difference looking forward.

a comparison of the real plane and the mock up they kept using

View attachment 696240
Note, that mock-up' picture is heavily distorted. Thus represent its proportions even more different to the actual aircraft. Anyway, mock-up general layout is similar with TF-X

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230323-183638_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323-183638_Samsung Internet.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
What is 4.5 gen in it?
The way public consciousness goes (stealth=5 gen), it's 5th gen. Simple and straightforward.

Are they using asymmetric thrust to steer the aircraft?"

I expect it's because residual thrust from two engines already is quite high, so modulating taxi speed by changing only one throttle probably gives finer adjustment. They might also be checking how asymmetric thrust affects handling. Steering would almost certainly be effected in one of the usual ways, either with asymmetric braking (though with the narrow track I'm not sure how well that would work) or nose wheel steering.

You are forgetting about supermaneuverability and advanced avionics as to what makes a fifth generation fighter Ainen.
'advanced electronics' is hard to quantify - what is advanced? TFX makes all the checkboxes - which isn't too unexpected for an aircraft designed in 2010s, (to be)flown in 2020s, and introduced in 2030s..
30 long years since F-22.

p.s. not all 5th generation aircraft are supermaneuverable(per definition; some unflown prototypes were outright unmaneuverable.
And TF-X will probably be quite maneuverable.

Overall - for that 5th gen is used, it's clearly it.
And beyond that broad meaning - generations the way they exist just suck. :)

p.s. the way its body is configured really reminds me of A6J - with the bay opening in a different way.

I notice that there is no HUD, will there be a F-35 style helmet?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 21.55.12.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 21.55.12.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 50