Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

The F-35A has an optional drag chute, originally specified by Norway.
Do you know if the chute can be removed and quickly replaced with a pre-packed replacement, instead of needing a dedicated Parachute Rigger at the dispersed sites?

That's what I thought...I would think they need a lot more rollout than the F-18s.

Only if the F-18 is using the hook to catch a cable, but regular Finnish highways are not equipped with cables.
The F-35A may come in faster, but is better at aerobraking and has a break chute.

Only if the F-18 is using the hook to catch a cable, but regular Finnish highways are not equipped with cables.
The F-35A may come in faster, but is better at aerobraking and has a break chute.
The Finns don't have a portable cable system?

The four-minute recording captures the bizarre circumstances for the three unidentified people involved: a North Charleston resident calmly explaining that a pilot just parachuted into his backyard, the pilot who doesn’t know what became of his F-35 jet and a puzzled dispatcher trying to make sense of it all.
[...]
“Ma’am, a military jet crashed. I’m the pilot. We need to get rescue rolling,” the pilot said. “I’m not sure where the airplane is. It would have crash landed somewhere. I ejected.”
[...]
In a separate eight-minute dispatch call released Thursday to the AP, an unidentified official tried explaining that they had “a pilot with his parachute” but no information about what happened to his plane or word of a crash. He said “the pilot lost sight of it on his way down due to the weather”.

The official also recalled hearing a “rather loud noise” about 25min prior that “sounded something like a tornado, possibly a plane”.
[...]
The Marines said features that erase a jet’s secure communications in case of an ejection – a feature designed to protect both the pilot’s location and the plane’s classified systems – may also have complicated efforts to find it.

“Normally, aircraft are tracked via radar and transponder codes,” the Marines said. “Upon pilot ejection, the aircraft is designed to erase (or ‘zeroize’) all secure communication.”
More at the link. Thunderstorms and low cloud ceiling hampered search efforts.

Interesting factoid in the GAO report that a 12-aircraft F-35 squadron needed 13 C-17 loads of support equipment to deploy, and this was stated as being much more than legacy fighters.

Congresscritter: "Oh, so if half the aircraft can't fly, then we'll leave them home and will need only 6 1/2 C-17s to carry the support equipment for the fliers! Remind me to cut the waste in the C-17 budget"

In other news: Fred Brooks has spun up to orbital escape velocity.

so I guess by the 2030s, the Czech AF fixed wing combat fleet will be 24 F-35s and 20-ish L-159s, with the Gripens being returned? sold?

After a bit of googlefu it looks like they are outer wing pylons, made by Konsberg. Could be Norwegian showcasing the locally made pylons whilst landing on Finnish highway?

They are indeed the outer wing pylons which are canted for LO and airflow reasons.They're a standard fit for Norgie F-35 as they carry AIM-9X. They're regularly in use intercepting Russian AF so I'd expect them to have them fitted at all times.

so I guess by the 2030s, the Czech AF fixed wing combat fleet will be 24 F-35s and 20-ish L-159s, with the Gripens being returned? sold?

The stated plan is to extend the lease on the Gripens through 2035, when the F-35s are all in service. After that, presumably returned to Sweden, since they are leased rather the purchased. At that point, Gripen C/D will be basically end-of-life anyway, so I'd expect them to be disposed of.

Re: The L159A, there was an offer to supply them to Ukraine earlier this year. Not sure if that is being taken up, but it could impact the Czech AF inventory by the 2030s if it is.

F-35 will be introduced from 2031-2035.
Leasing of Gripen C/Ds will be extended until 2035, this deal should be finalised soon.
The fleet of 24 L-159 along with Gripens to be retired in 2035.

The Gripens will be returned to Sweden yes, as they are owned be the Swedish AF.

The video makes it look like they have a very slow stall speed, though hard to tell from that angle.

I think what's happening is that the camera is much further away than it looks like it is, and is using very powerful zoom. This makes the rate that the aircraft grows bigger in view to be much slower than if the camera was closer with less zoom.

I think what's happening is that the camera is much further away than it looks like it is, and is using very powerful zoom. This makes the rate that the aircraft grows bigger in view to be much slower than if the camera was closer with less zoom.
The wider piece of straight road is 3 km long, there. I don't think they allow anybody on it during flight operations.
A long focal length was definitely used.

^ yeah they just received 3 new build L-159T2s, and I believe they plan to convert 5 older models to the T2 standard.

After hearing all these news about F-35 operating costs, the desire for F-15 variants, etc..
I would not be surprise that the next generation "Hi-Lo" mix will not be a heavy fighter and a light one like the past
but of a 5th/6th gen plane and a cheaper to operate 4th gen one (which may be heavy or light), along side with drones..

After hearing all these news about F-35 operating costs, the desire for F-15 variants, etc..
I would not be surprise that the next generation "Hi-Lo" mix will not be a heavy fighter and a light one like the past
but of a 5th/6th gen plane and a cheaper to operate 4th gen one (which may be heavy or light), along side with drones..
At least for another decade or so, any drones used for MUMT are going to need a 2-seater aircraft as the drone "quarterback." That's likely to be a 4th gen heavy fighter for the near future, unless something weird goes down with the USAF 6th Gen programs.

They're replacing with L-159 T2 right?

To quote from the source (google translated):
The eventual acquisition of 24 F-35s would have a major impact on the shape of the entire tactical air force, because the F-35s would be able to perform a full spectrum of tasks without the need to use other platforms, such as the L-159, thanks to their capabilities. Currently, the tactical air force has 24 L-159 aircraft in addition to 14 Gripen C/D. In the case of the acquisition of the F-35, it is assumed that there will also be a gradual attenuation and, after 2035, the complete grounding of all L-159s, which will also result in an average annual cost saving of approximately CZK 600 million and at the same time unification on a single platform.