Covid-19 Vaccine - Where, How & Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking at today's Covid numbers, I see we've now got two thirds of the eligible population completely vaccinated (66.7%). Single dose figures (87.4%) are increasing more slowly (59K/day vs 158k/day), probably because most of the people remaining unvaccinated are vaccine-hesitant in one form or another (it's likely to include a significant bias to the younger age groups who aren't so much anti-vax as they don't see a point in getting vaccinated given the limited risk at their age) and because of a greater focus by the vaccination effort on getting everyone double-dosed who is at greater risk.

Last edited:
"policy" Another word that has a negotiable meaning. In the U.S., many states are fully open, but that does not mean the prevailing health measures have gone out the window. Or are not subject to revision.

"scoring political points" is not good policy. Or headlines like [not a real headline]: "Johnson's Policy for UK poses Danger to the World."

Hopefully, the U.S. follows suit. Already, at least one alarmist has predicted "the end of the world" since we, meaning the general public, "don't know what's coming." It appears real professionals who monitor this daily are prevailing.

TLDR: UK put France into a special quarantine category over rising cases of the Beta variant in Metropolitan France, but lots of people in France pointing out almost all of those are on Reunion in the Pacific. Easy mistake to make if that's the case, whether anyone has the guts to admit it is a bigger question.

Jenrick (who has form for skipping Covid restrictions) : It's not just the PM, TfL and the rail unions are all signed up to this.
TfL and the Rail unions : Staff at two critical signal centres are signed up, no one else.

Politics latest news: Isolation rule to remain until Aug 16 despite pingdemic chaos, says vaccines minister
People must continue to isolate after being alerted by the NHS Covid app until Aug 16, despite concerns that the pingdemic could see a return of food shortages and undermine critical infrastructure, the vaccines minister has said.

Health and social care staff who have had both vaccinations will be exempt, if they receive a negative PCR test, from today. However, amid estimates that 1.73 million were isolating yesterday - including Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak - Nadhim Zahawi said those in other professions would have to wait until next month for a reprieve.

"We want to try to get to Aug 16, where if you’re double vaccinated you don't need to isolate," he said. "The Aug 16 date is for the rest of the economy to allow more people to be protected by two doses."

Asked about the prospect of supermarket shelves being left empty, he told Sky News: "I don't disagree with you, but businesses are rising to the challenge... Key workers and businesses, small, medium and large - it is difficult, this is not a normal year, but the NHS app has proven its worth, and it is saving lives."

He also suggested there would be no changes to the NHS Covid app's sensitivity, saying it was right to "clinically advise people, with that sensitivity, that they have come into contact with people who have tested positive."

Et merde... it will happen in France, too. My girlfriend advanced her second shot by some days. I can't, because of my job.
And my 78 years old mom don't want to be vaccinated. At least she doesn't risk a lot, in her relative isolation in a remote village in the remote countryside... but still.
Maybe she will change her mind when barred access from a department store ? Macron stick-and-carrot approach has little influence on her life and where she lives... because it is a mostly remote area. No cinemas or theaters to be barred from: there is none !

Ahem... It's the End of the World... again. We now return to the Daily Disaster... uh, Mainstream Media.

In my opinion, the United Staes should set up state border checkpoints. Last week, I saw a license plate from North Dakota in my state. Somehow, that struck me as worse than seeing California license plates in my state. Today, Wall Street fell after hitting a record 3,500 last week. Looking past the "fell" part, a multi-billion dollar deal and an IPO were also announced. Balanced review is essential.

Taiwan, New vaccine Medigen:
Taiwan's government on Monday approved the emergency use and production of Medigen Vaccine Biologics Corp's (6547.TWO) COVID-19 vaccine candidate, a major step in the island's plans to develop its own vaccines to protect against the coronavirus.

The vaccine candidate has yet to finish clinical trials and no efficacy data is available, but Taiwan's health ministry said studies so far have shown that antibodies created by the shot have been "no worse than" those created by AstraZeneca's (AZN.L) vaccine.

TLDR: UK put France into a special quarantine category over rising cases of the Beta variant in Metropolitan France, but lots of people in France pointing out almost all of those are on Reunion in the Pacific. Easy mistake to make if that's the case, whether anyone has the guts to admit it is a bigger question.

FYI: in the Indian Ocean, near Mauritius (they were both created, Hawaii-style, by the same volcanic hot spot). Also an easy mistake to make ;)

Stunning place BTW, definitely on my list of destinations to return to once it's safely possible again!

Scientists have discovered a new coronavirus in UK bats that is related to Sars-CoV-2, the infection which causes Covid-19.

An undergraduate researcher from the University of East Anglia (UEA) collected fecal matter from dozens of lesser horseshoe bats, and genome sequencing found the previously unknown coronavirus in one of the 53 samples.
Ivana Murphy said she hoped the discovery would not lead people to persecute bats, adding: “Like all wildlife, if left alone they do not pose any threat.”

The virus, identified by experts at Public Health England, has been named RhGB01. It is unlikely to threaten humans unless it mutates, and there is no evidence it has yet made the jump to us, experts said.
Andrew Cunningham, of the Zoological Society of London, added that humanity may have underestimated the spread of sarbecoviruses and, by extension, the possibilities for their mutation or recombination into a form that can jump the species barrier to humans via intermediate hosts.

He said: “This UK virus is not a threat to humans because the receptor binding domain (RBD) – the part of the virus that attaches to host cells to infect them – is not compatible with being able to infect human cells.

“But the problem is that any bat harbouring a Sars-like coronavirus can act as a melting pot for virus mutation. So if a bat with the RhGB01 infection we found were to become infected with Sars-CoV-2, there is a risk that these viruses would hybridise and a new virus emerge with the RBD of Sars-CoV-2, and so be able to infect people.

“Preventing transmission of Sars-CoV-2 from humans to bats, and hence reducing opportunities for virus mutation, is critical with the current global mass vaccination campaign against this virus.”

Status
Not open for further replies.