Boeing 737 MAX family NEWS ONLY

No. All pilots have that responsibility.

Since they were aware of passengers reports, they could have simply directed the cabin crew to confirm/infirm the report (fresh air abnormally entering the cabin) and, in case of any doubts, direct one of them to pass their hands around the joint while in flight*. Easy and Quick.

Pilots are not requested to be Engineers or Mechanics. But they are trained and supposed to make themselves proficient to troubleshoot safety problems (at least alert when a potential one surface). There is much more than starring at charts or the 1st class menu.

*They are the ones supposed to know that there is an emergency exit hidden there
How do I know you're full of it and have an axe to grind?

At altitude the air would have been LEAVING the cabin. There would have been NO place where abnormal fresh air entered the cabin, only more air than normal through the regular vents.

Guess what? They DID detect that, and decided that at the end of the day, they were going to look at it.

Fresh air is the clue here (heat exchange with outside air). This is commune language as used by passengers by the way but, obviously, can lead to confusion here. No air is really entering the cabin as you correctly noted (and I think I mention it latter in my posts).

Guess what? They DID detect that, and decided that at the end of the day, they were going to look at it.

But please ask yourself, when you are about to get on the motorway and see a red light blinking in the dashboard, do you still push forward for that 100miles run?

Last edited:
But please ask yourself, when you are about to get on the motorway and see a red light blinking in the dashboard, do you still push forward for that 100miles run?
You do realise the entire airline industry runs on Minimum Equipment Lists? Including for ETOPS 370.

Aircraft fly every day with full loads of passengers with the aviation equivalent of multiple 'red blinking light(s) on the dashboard', some of them potentially getting over six hours away from the nearest diversionary airport, because they have been evaluated to be safe to fly in that condition.

The Alaska Air 737 Max had reportedly fallen below the ETOPS MDL, but not below the non-ETOPS MDL. It was allowed to fly with a full passenger load in that condition. If you have a problem with that, then you should be complaining about the entire concept of Minimum Equipment Lists, not just Alaska Air 1282.

Question for those more familiar with cabin aircon: if the outflow air is taken from under the floor, what's the flow route from cabin to underfloor?

The Spirit factory in Prestwick Scotland which does Airbus work, the part of the factory in Belfast which doesn't do Airbus work and the plant in Subang, Malaysia are apparently all still on the market looking for a new owner. Not acquiring the complete Ireland/Scotland operations might be why Airbus came down from their initial $1bn demand, I was surprised Airbus picked up the Morocco operation as well.

Airliners are not instrumented like a laboratory gig. The gauges and procedures are indicative regarding the type of problem and more troubleshooting is expected to close on a faulty system. A technical investigation can´t stop at staring at the instrument panel. You know that. Mechanics do have often to trace back the faulty system and pilot´s indications are key to that.
Yes, they are. And there has been nothing reported that would point a mechanic troubleshooting the pressurization system towards the plugs. I would more likely suspect the electrical connections at the Pressurization Controller before a crack or leaking door.

Look. The pressurization system on the older planes is pretty dumb. You tell it to maintain X pressure differential, it vents air out to hold the pressure there. It doesn't say, "Hey, wait, I'm needing a lot less outflow door that I should be using at this engine RPM, something isn't right." It's not like say, the Mass Airflow Sensor and ECU on a 2000s Chrysler Hemi, that says "I'm seeing a lot more air than I should be for how much throttle there is, something is wrong" and throws the engine into limp-home mode when Joe hotrodder hooked up a supercharger to his Hemi for Moah Powah!!!!

It might be possible to have such a system installed without modifying the airframe, as long as the motors that control the outflow valve are steppers and know where they are in their travel. Then you could simply reprogram the Pressurization Controller with a map comparing outflow position with commanded differential pressure versus engine RPM (and therefore how much bleed air you're packing into the tube).

When those passengers reported thd problem, a significant piece of evidence was disregarded that should have been taken into consideration.
Where were these passengers seated and can they describe to the cabin crew where they heard the sound? Can the cabin crew relay that information to the mechanics?

That it would be by pedantism, inattention, fatigue, miscommunication, that very fact is there as surely as an uncompleted plane being put into service by Boeing.
IMOHO, the NTSB should have that covered in their investigation as well. It makes no sense otherwise.
Have we seen a Final Report from the NTSB?
If not, how do you know that the NTSB isn't covering that?

The plug blowing out at such a low alt would also indicate that an appropriate pre-flight inspection could have detected a faulty panel adjustment.
Do me a favor.

Go try to see where the plug physically is on the aircraft, while you're standing on the ground 20 feet below it.

Now try to see if the plug is standing proud of the surface at any point. I'm willing to bet that the design actually has the skin of the plug sitting on top of the fuselage skin. That will make it stand 1-2mm proud of the skin around it, without a gap. It would also make it impossible to see light through any gap due to the shape of the fuselage.

The faulty pressurization indicator in the climbing portion of the flight (at such a low alt, just above cabin pressure activation) could have seen another crew electing to turn back or circle the time the cabin crew made an inspection...

All this are signs that the craziness certainly didn´t stop at Spirit or Boeing.
You are pointing at that cabin pressurization fault as if it's some smoking gun. IT IS NOT A SMOKING GUN. All it says is that the Controller cannot maintain ordered pressure differential. It could be that the primary controller itself is failing. There could be an electrical fault somewhere. In no way does it suggest that the cabin doors, baggage doors, or the door plugs might not be sealing properly.

The plane was literally on it's way to the Alaska Airlines maintenance depot at the end of this flight. What the hell more do you want to do?

Question for those more familiar with cabin aircon: if the outflow air is taken from under the floor, what's the flow route from cabin to underfloor?
It follow the differential of pressure. Just replace P by V as in electricity (potential). Same principle.

@Scott Kenny :
- controllers are generally chosen to be fail-safe regarding the parameter they sample (at least statically - but you have a test function when there is any doubt). Repeatedly pointing at it when a cabin breach is signaled is like having a plumber ordering you to crank up the TV volume when you report hearing a leak. Is that really the kind of professionalism we want this industry to rely on?
- The available preliminary NTSB report is attached to one of my previous post. It does not mention in any way passengers alerting the crew on previous flights.
- Since you mention it in bold, CAPITAL and Underlined, Smoke is a very good way to detect any leak in a pressure vessel (remember fixing that inner tube that got punched somewhere when you were a teen?)

Last but not least, and regrettably, I see we can´t really have a conversation on that topic. Guessing most have better to do for the long w.e, and whishing you the best, let´s give it a break.

Last edited:
One thing that I have not seen (or perhaps noticed) is whether the previous alarms were Repeats or just Recurs. Drives your criticality (urgency) and troubleshooting in different directions.

It follow the differential of pressure. Just replace P by V as in electricity (potential). Same principle.

@Scott Kenny :
- controllers are generally chosen to be fail-safe regarding the parameter they sample (at least statically - but you have a test function when there is any doubt). Repeatedly pointing at it when a cabin breach is signaled is like having a plumber ordering you to crank up the TV volume when you report hearing a leak. Is that really the kind of professionalism we want this industry to rely on?
That pressurization alarm has more than 5 different triggers.
Again, from the QRH posted on scribd, but differently presented:
"This indicates that the primary automatic cabin pressurization controller was disabled by a fault condition, which can be caused by
  1. a problem with the controller itself,
  2. one of the valves it controls,
  3. an excessive pressure differential,
  4. an excessive rate of cabin pressure change, or
  5. a high cabin altitude."
Emphasis mine.

So when troubleshooting, you have multiple things to test. On the ground and in the air for each one.

Furthermore, the system does not say which of those 5+ possibilities caused the alarm. So you have to test all of them. Only one of the alarm triggers points towards the fuselage having a leak in it.

- The available preliminary NTSB report is attached to one of my previous post. It does not mention in any way passengers alerting the crew on previous flights.
Was the passengers reporting a weird noise mentioned before the NTSB started their prelim report?

- Since you mention it in bold, CAPITAL and Underlined, Smoke is a very good way to detect any leak in a pressure vessel (remember fixing that inner tube that got punched somewhere when you were a teen?)
The pressurization test procedures need to be followed as written, and I do not recall one ever authorizing smoke in the cabin as the test.

The pressurization test procedures need to be followed as written, and I do not recall one ever authorizing smoke in the cabin as the test.
It would be an interesting experiment in social dynamics with fare-paying passengers on board. Probably fine on a charter flight for the Pyromaniac Society, other passengers might not approve.

Yes, I'm quite aware that there will be a flow from high pressure to low pressure. What I want is the actual route taken. We know there's a flow from air-con pack to cabin through the air-con ducting, and from the underfloor area to the outflow valves, but what's the route out of the passenger cabin to the underfloor area. Floor vents? Through the galley? Whatever?

Last edited:

Smoke to detect a leak in a bike tyre? Weird, use a bucket of water like everyone else.

Well, unless you are that Jamaican kid, you´ll use a water bucket like everyone else. That was implied :D

It´s just the principle that is the same (but smoke instead of bubbles).

But if you need an excuse to hose that pretty new cabin crew hostess...

Last edited:
Yes, I'm quite aware that there will be a flow from high pressure to low pressure. What I want is the actual route taken. We know there's a flow from air-con pack to cabin through the air-con ducting, and from the underfloor area to the outflow valves, but what's the route out of the passenger cabin to the underfloor area. Floor vents? Through the galley? Whatever?
IIRC, there's a floor level vent in the interior panels.

Air flows in through a big diffuser in the top of the cabin and through the eyeball vents above each seat.

(And I think you tagged the wrong dude about using smoke to find a leak in a bike tire.)

(And I think you tagged the wrong dude about using smoke to find a leak in a bike tire.)
I started out commenting on using smoke in the cabin for pressurization testing, made the point about using a bucket along the way, then figured out everything else was probably wrong and deleted it, so was left with just the bucket of water - too lazy to move it to another post, and figured it was close enough people would realise the attribution.

What often baffles me is how things have kinda came full circle, after Boeing was "tainted" by MDD, post 1997 takeover...

- 737 MAX death toll: 346 people - for criminally stupid corporate reasons

- DC-10 death toll, March 3, 1974: 346 people - for criminally stupid corporate reasons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Airlines_Flight_981

I know it just a dumb coincidence, but it baffles me nonetheless...

That's what I thought, plenty of scope for whistling noises.
you need a significant differential of pressure for that thing whistling. Think blowing in a saxophone.
Let me know, what do you think is the pressure in the cargo hold?

Also, have you heard anyone complaining about the vent valves in an airplane*? Airplane cabin are very noisy. That you hear the whistling of an airstream means its powerful. Abnormally powerful I should say...

*At least the non-organic ones

you need a significant differential of pressure for that thing whistling. Think blowing in a saxophone.
It doesn't take much, you just need airflow through, or across, an appropriate orifice. And it certainly doesn't take a deliberately designed orifice, my crutches will often whistle in the breeze.

As for pressure in the underfloor area, pretty much the same as in the above floor area, the issue is air circulation, not pressure differential. Air-con systems work on airflow due to fans, not due to pressure differentials, which in a small enclosed volume would soon equalise.

Let me know, what do you think is the pressure in the cargo hold?
Pressure in the cargo hold is the same as in the cabin.

The outflow valve is a door big enough for a human to crawl through and is located at the aft end of the after baggage compartment.

Back
Top Bottom