Boeing 737 MAX family NEWS ONLY

Two stories for you:

Why the second one, you ask—of what relevance?

Many employees have a side-hustle to make ends meet…and that doesn’t have to be a second job.

The first story shows top-down problems—treating employees like second class citizens.

That can lead to the second story.

Say you work in a big company—it isn’t just your actual manager you have to answer to—speak up about co-workers, and you can wind up in the hospital real fast. That’s a second source of worry.

That’s the bottom-up problems.

The things you hear over a Motorola…

Over time, such an environment will cause your best people to throw up their hands and walk out.

—and here we are…
public -

Howdy !

My intent for the second question posed above, was to see if others might weigh-in;
and provide any additional information....if my conclusions were off.
I should have been more clear.

While the junior worker did the door plug install in error, it seems implied that he at least made some time accounting inputs to the system for the work he did. Given the size, weight, and unwieldy proportions of the door plug, one would think there was a second worker present for at least the initial placement of the plug...and perhaps the identified worker's time accounting reflects that.

As regards the initial door plug removal, it sounds like nothing was " documented "; and cognizant worker(s) are " stonewalling " it with investigators.

With regards,
357Mag

With regards,
357Mag

I don´t think you would need someone to help installing the door plug. Those doors are designed to be functionally manipulated by a single man.

I don´t think you would need someone to help installing the door plug. Those doors are designed to be functionally manipulated by a single man.
That depends on how heavy it is, Boeing Salt Lake’s shop safety policy is 35 pounds is the maximum allowable single person lift threshold, 75 pounds is the two person lift threshold. Anything above that requires mechanical assistance such as a crane or cherry picker type device. I’m honestly not sure if that differs site to site, but I’d say it would be similar. I know a raw AOE door is just shy of 30 lbs out of the mill from raw stock. A full size plug would probably be more, though it definitely wouldn’t weigh as much as a functional door.

Unionized workers voted to rebuff the last Boeing package and for the largest strike since 2008:

About 33,000 union members at Boeing have started to walk off the job on Friday after they overwhelmingly rejected a proposed four-year contract with the troubled aircraft manufacturer.

The strike, the first at the company in 16 years, will virtually stop commercial airplane production at one of America’s biggest manufacturing giants and its largest exporter, dealing a potential blow to the US economy. Depending on the length of the strike, it could cause problems for nearly 10,000 Boeing (BA) suppliers, which can be found in all 50 US states.

The company has a total of 150,000 US employees, and it estimates its own annual contribution to America’s economy at $79 billion, supporting 1.6 million jobs directly and indirectly.
[...]
The most recent strike at Boeing was in 2008 and lasted 57 days. Holden said members are prepared to “stay out” as long as it takes to get a better deal this time.

Based on how they got themselves into this position? Training is utterly unimportant, all executive compensation appears to be based on number of airframes completed.

It will likely require the DOJ to demand all of these ideas as penalty actions from the violation of Boeing's plea agreement before Boeing gets the memo.
It's hard to communicate scale of just how bad things were there. As mentioned in another thread I was there, my second to last day was when the DOJ announced the violation of the DPA (I had resigned two weeks earlier). Almost everyone who could remember the good years in the 90's was gone. For obvious reasons I won't go into details, but I saw the training piece and DPA firsthand.

The FAA Section 103 report lays things out pretty well, it's well worth the read"

Section 103 Report

It's hard to communicate scale of just how bad things were there. As mentioned in another thread I was there, my second to last day was when the DOJ announced the violation of the DPA (I had resigned two weeks earlier). Almost everyone who could remember the good years in the 90's was gone. For obvious reasons I won't go into details, but I saw the training piece and DPA firsthand.

The FAA Section 103 report lays things out pretty well, it's well worth the read"

Section 103 Report
*reads*

Ouch. Ho Lee Fuk that's bad.

I don't think you'll see any real change in Boeing's post-McD acquisition corporate culture till the Boeing senior management is held criminally and financially liable for Boeing's repeated criminal misdeeds.

I don't think you'll see any real change in Boeing's post-McD acquisition corporate culture till the Boeing senior management is held criminally and financially liable for Boeing's repeated criminal misdeeds.
One of the people I currently work with was at Collins with Kelly years ago. His take is that he was brought in for the sole purpose of cleaning out the management house. Your milage may vary...

Can only hope that he can clean house without triggering golden parachute clauses.
LOL, since so many of that type get paid with stock anyhow the golden parachute would be the rise in stock price from the market confidence restored by the elimination of the bad apples. ;)

All -

From what I've read of the section 103 report, it was the result of " expert panel " delving into the " Organization Designation Authorization " ( ODA ). The ODA was granted to Boeing to allow their own inspectors to provide inspections and oversight of Boeing work in-lieu of or as an adjunct to FAA-performed inspection oversight. The 103 reports findings and more to the point...recommendations to Boeing; are heavily weighted with ODA-specific references.

For more generalized findings and recommendations, I suggest a review of:
" Finding 16 " and it's associated " Recommendation 34 " which speak to
standards " compliance " and " Safety "; found on page 36.

See also:
" Finding 18 " and its associated " Recommendation 36 " found on page 37, which speak to the issues of " Training ".

The Expert Panel also addressed the need for Boeing to " grow the pipeline " of safe, trained and qualified workers....discussed within the pages mentioned.

The specific references above, were more inclusive of all " unit members "' ( UM ); also called employees.

With regards,
357Mag

As if a strike thats reportedly costing Boeing between $100m and $150m a day wasnt bad enough, the results of an internal workforce survey conducted by Boeing in May have leaked.

Only 47% of staff felt that they were not under pressure to lower standards to meet schedules.
Only 36% thought they had recieved enough training to meet quality standards.
Only 37% thought they had the tools and materials to successfully complete my work.

Raw numbers are impressive but would need to be presented against the average in the industry.
For example, the same questionary at the burger restaurant from your local street corner would score in all probability 100% for each of the above question ;)
Just go and ask the kids there.

Still, is it bad? Yes.

As if a strike thats reportedly costing Boeing between $100m and $150m a day wasnt bad enough, the results of an internal workforce survey conducted by Boeing in May have leaked.

Only 47% of staff felt that they were not under pressure to lower standards to meet schedules.
Only 36% thought they had recieved enough training to meet quality standards.
Only 37% thought they had the tools and materials to successfully complete my work.

All -

Unfortunately, Boeing continues to live up to our low expectations.

I myself wrote and E- mail to " Aviation Week ", describing the evils of Boeing / Spirit Aero
biasing " rate " ahead of quality. It was not printed. I tried to communicate with members of the Investigation Committee, but was turned away because I was not amongst their constituents. I sent an E-mail to a retired Navy Admiral that Boeing garnered as a Safety subject matter expert. I was told his company forwarded my E-mail to him, but I received no contact back.

Unrealistic manufacturing " rates " and incessant supervisory /management demand that these rates are met...is THE core driver central to Boeing's associated challenges.

With regards,
357Mag

I myself wrote and E- mail to " Aviation Week ", describing the evils of Boeing / Spirit Aero
biasing " rate " ahead of quality. It was not printed.

Have you emailed AW&ST querying as to why they haven't published your letter?

Have you emailed AW&ST querying as to why they haven't published your letter?
NM -
Howdy !

No...I did not inquire about why they didn't publish the E-mail.
I figure they have zillions to choose from. Beyond that, there are many others who write more eloquently than I do. And, we are now some months down the road since I sent the. E-mail to AW&ST.

Anywayz, much of what I said has been corroborated by more-recent FAA reporting ( link shown in above post response ). For example: the paragraphs on " Schedule Pressure Lowers Standards " seen near the bottom of page 4, and elsewhere throughout the report.

With regards,
357Mag

For more generalized findings and recommendations, I suggest a review of:
" Finding 16 " and it's associated " Recommendation 34 " which speak to
standards " compliance " and " Safety "; found on page 36.

They're not going to fix management retaliation for raising safety concerns without a few high-profile firings for cause. If it's still an issue at this point, it doesn't matter how large a clue-stick you apply to the problem managers, they aren't going to get it.

without a few high-profile firings for cause.

I don't think high-profile firings will be enough, I think that Boeing management will get a clue and stop retaliating when there are high-profile criminal prosecutions of senior Boeing managers resulting in them getting lengthy prison-sentences in federal prison AND being stripped of their various stock options.

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom