SCALP / Storm Shadow / MdCN

The Storm Shadow's warheads would do a lot more damage than an SDB-I's warhead would.

Think its Storm Shadow (ignore the fact there are 2, thats the slow shutter speed on the camera). By the size of it and the bridge (even with some blurring) thats not SDB.

Also US statements in the last day or 2 have advised that GLSDB will not arrive before 'Fall'

View: https://i.imgur.com/VhcPXcW.png

Last edited:
I guess you must be right. Maybe it's because the warhead is designed more for penetration than area effect. A simple unitary warhead would probably have done a better job here. Did a decent amount of damage nonetheless.

1687526272918.png

The Storm Shadow's warheads would do a lot more damage than an SDB-I's warhead would.
I agree with you, the craters are two small for a Storm Shadow warhead explosion, if it was in fact a Storm Shadow, the bridge would have been destroyed, not stand still.

Definite confirmation that it was in fact Storm Shadow...

Pantsir S1 tried to intercept and clearly failed....to continue its long record of fairly dismal failure...range from the launcher was around 3-3.5km....point blank.

View: https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1671965086959673357?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Yeah, I thought the second missile hit, but that turned out to be the bridge.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX2IbhPdxy0

Definite confirmation that it was in fact Storm Shadow...

Pantsir S1 tried to intercept and clearly failed....to continue its long record of fairly dismal failure...range from the launcher was around 3-3.5km....point blank.

Where are you getting all this information from, i.e. that it didn't hit with the second attempt, that range was 3.5km and that Pantsir is altogether a dismal failure? Because I for one cannot glean any of that from this short, heavily censored clip. If anything I'd lean toward the second missile likely hitting, and if it indeed was a point blank engagement, such a crossing target is actually not the easiest of engagement scenarios for a beam rider.

Serbs can take down F-117 with S-125... I'm aware that this example works both ways, and that's precisely the point: singular examples and all that. It's not that getting shot down by Pantsir (once) would suddenly render StormShadow a dud, or that failing to intercept it (once) would be proof of anything regarding either weapon system. It's how supposedly intelligent contributors jump to ludicrous conclusions that don't take two minutes of thought to know aren't supported by the evidence.

Which other SHORADS (preferably Anglo-French...) would've done better in the circumstances? Proof? I for one find it quite notable how similar that proposed Turkish SHORADS is to Pantsir, given that they've faced it in multiple theatres, captured one example and - to judge from their sparkly video clips - could let their TB2 walk all over it with impunity. Somehow that all doesn't quite compute, does it?

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought the second missile hit, but that turned out to be the bridge.

1) Where are you seeing a bridge in that video?*
2) What about that video says that the engagement was even related to the bridge attack? The footage could be weeks old, for all we know?
3) As the other video of the strike against the bridges shows (and is well known anyway), StormShadow makes a steep terminal dive to the target. To me it looks like the missile remains straight and level during the tail chase part of the engagement before the second explosion?

* If you do, would you be interested in buying it from me?

1) Where are you seeing a bridge in that video?*
2) What about that video says that the engagement was even related to the bridge attack? The footage could be weeks old, for all we know?
3) As the other video of the strike against the bridges shows (and is well known anyway), StormShadow makes a steep terminal dive to the target. To me it looks like the missile remains straight and level during the tail chase part of the engagement before the second explosion?

* If you do, would you be interested in buying it from me?
Only going by what the video says. The image quality is honestly terrible, so bad that it probably makes little difference whether the operator is sober or not. I think that is the treeline for what it's worth though.

Last edited:
British cruise missile Storm Shadow (produced in France) shot down in the Berdyansk area.

Attachments

• photo_2023-06-30_11-54-22.jpg
    photo_2023-06-30_11-54-22.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 33
  • photo_2023-06-30_11-54-23.jpg
    photo_2023-06-30_11-54-23.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 27
  • photo_2023-06-30_11-54-25.jpg
    photo_2023-06-30_11-54-25.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 26
  • photo_2023-06-30_11-54-26.jpg
    photo_2023-06-30_11-54-26.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 30
One Storm Shadow may have been shot down. Except there were 11 of of them, raining havoc on a Russian helicopter base in one of the most ambitious cruise missile bombing raid by the ukrainians to date.

(nota bene: I expressly not only dodged russian sources, but also ukrainian ones.)

"Only going by what the video says. The image quality is honestly terrible, so bad that it probably makes little difference whether the operator is sober or not. I think that is the treeline for what it's worth though."

...lol what is this???

One Storm Shadow may have been shot down. Except there were 11 of of them, raining havoc on a Russian helicopter base in one of the most ambitious cruise missile bombing raid by the ukrainians to date.

(nota bene: I expressly not only dodged russian sources, but also ukrainian ones.)
Only 6 according to this, but there were 10-11 explosions in Berdyansk.

View: https://twitter.com/UKikaski/status/1674733884846514179?s=20

1688151447264.png

Apparently these are the non-penetrating parts of the missile (wing mount, outer casing, engine) that are often left lying in the soil after a successful underground bunker penetration.

EHJot4OX0AE42D-

Apparently these are the non-penetrating parts of the missile (wing mount, outer casing, engine) that are often left lying in the soil after a successful underground bunker penetration.

Not surprising really as they've done there job when the missile impacts its' target, no doubt there's similar wreckage when a Paveway or a JDAM strikes a buried target.

Those stealthy cruise missiles really do shrink the envelope of interception for surface to air missile systems. Very effective ordinance. With some clever tactics you could devastate vital infrastructure for at least hours/days.

Ruskies cannot put their air defense everywhere and all the time. I fear this war could be a harbinger of scarier things to come.

Those stealthy cruise missiles really do shrink the envelope of interception for surface to air missile systems.

Well, there is the video of a failed interception of a Storm Shadow by a couple of SA-22 Greyhound missiles.

Probably not Forest Green, if it is the weapons bay. External carriage only.

There was talk about the RAF putting the Storm Shadow onto the P-8 Forrest Green but I have not heard anything about it recently whether they have done it or not.
Never heard anything official about arming the P-8. RAF and MoD are very quiet about that as they've had to purchase a small stockpile of Mk.54 torpedo's, despite the fact the UK has a large stockpile of superior Stingray Mod 1's....its all rather embarassing, and they'd rather not talk about it...

Suspect you may have been thinking of this...

View: https://imgur.com/vpPjTYt

Well it looks like the SA-22 Greyhound is not as shit hot as the Russians claimed, at least when it comes to trying to intercept cruise-missiles.

I don’t think we have enough data to judge. Also the Stormshadow is a pretty high end cruise missile; it’s probably not a trivial effort to engage one.

Wings not fitting is an urban myth;- the real sequence of events that lead to MRA4’s failure is detailed on the link below by someone who lived it every day ;- namely me

The fuselages were a major factor because every single one of them was different and hence each one needed a different set of wings. Each plane was essentially a different design, you just can't work like that. Additionally, because some of them were banana-shaped they had to play around a lot with stability augmentation systems to stop it flying like a drunken one-legged pigeon with one and half wings.

As for the wings not fitting, whether they actually tried or figured it out pre-build necessitating a redesign is debatable, but it was definitely one of the other.