Interesting that the export version would be larger like a Hornet to a Super Hornet with an additional fuel tank and with more internal stowage for additional equipment, beyond the 4 Meteor/8 short range missile bay added to the EX version from the base version. Possibly also reflecting South Korea having a shorter range requirement than other potential users

Interesting that the export version would be larger like a Hornet to a Super Hornet with an additional fuel tank and with more internal stowage for additional equipment, beyond the 4 Meteor/8 short range missile bay added to the EX version from the base version. Possibly also reflecting South Korea having a shorter range requirement than other potential users

Really? IMO this is just impossible ... South Korea surely won't develop a new larger variant just for export!

Those two articles posted.
I also wonder if its a back door method for South Korea to develop a carrier variant without committing to a carrier program upfront.
no where does it say the SA version is larger. The article on the previous page, and the Korean language one only mentions that SA will be a customized version.

With an additional Aux fuel tank and larger internal volume for additional equipment (probably integrated targeting pod as the domestic versions rely on a underwing E/O targeting pod). Though it says the details of the export version havent been frozen yet.
There was also the previously announced carrier version KF-21N with 20% larger wing area and strengthened undercarriage before they retooled the lineup.

Last edited:

Korean authorities are probing a Telegram channel that claims it has KUH-1 and KF-21 factory documents from KAI for sale, the telegram channel posted photos of KUH-1 parts.

That does not sound too good WatcherZero, especially when Boramae was progressing so well and now this.

Something tells me they're never going to make this aircraft LO.
An EA aircfraft is by definition never LO

something is off about that image.
looks like there are two pilots crammed into the single seater
Yeah, placeholder image

Economy class spacing, totally normal.
I certainly would not like to be the back seater in the Boramea EW that is for sure. It would be a tight squeeze helmutkohl. No doubt that is only an early design that will be changed given time.
I don't know why you guys seriously think that is an actual engineering design model when there have been literally multiple images uploaded just in this thread of double seater variant prototypes.

Order for 20 ¨KF-21 at roughly $70M per plane, probably not including the $10M per engine:

The contract value includes development contract fee to KAI and excludes engine and radar costs.

The actual procurement cost per aircraft is $79 million.

How does that compare to other Fifth generation fighters on per plane cost?
It's about $10 million over an F-35A at flyaway costs. Given the opacity of Chinese pricing and the mostly vaporware status of the Su-57, that's probably all you're going to get.

$10 million more than the F-35A for initial production is a pretty solid price point.

It's about $10 million over an F-35A at flyaway costs. Given the opacity of Chinese pricing and the mostly vaporware status of the Su-57, that's probably all you're going to get.

$10 million more than the F-35A for initial production is a pretty solid price point.
That's wrong. Average flyaway cost for F-35A is $82.5 million for Lot 15-17. That $79 million figure for KF-21 is somewhere in the middle between weapon systems cost and procurement cost. It is definitely cheaper than the F-35 already.

Yeah, placeholder image

I don't know why you guys seriously think that is an actual engineering design model when there have been literally multiple images uploaded just in this thread of double seater variant prototypes.
70/90s kid rising up to high positions.

tumblr_97ddf3219f406a355dd55bda3f7c2de6_74fa47ec_640.jpg

Being a little spoiled brat, realising childhood dreams. No harm done and you can always claim AI will be the finest backseater ever.

That is excellent news the first batch of Boramae fighters for South Korea. I wonder who the lucky squadron will be that will host the first KF-21s?

This program is moving fast which is very good and they do need the capability based upon the current climate.

That is excellent news the first batch of Boramae fighters for South Korea. I wonder who the lucky squadron will be that will host the first KF-21s?
I would presume that it would squadrons which formerly operated the Phantoms, as it seems that it will be more or less a replacement for that aircraft for now.

I thought it was going to be the Phantom squadrons that would get the Boramae as they are in need of being replaced, the last thing that I saw was a South Korean air force Phantom launching a Popeye missile in a photo that was in Air Forces Monthly.

I would presume that it would squadrons which formerly operated the Phantoms, as it seems that it will be more or less a replacement for that aircraft for now.
No, all Phantoms are getting replaced by Lightning IIs (and have been replace by F-15K). KF-21 will first replace the F-5(KF-5)E/F and later the F-16PBU.

Stand-off deep strike pre-ATOs currently assigned to F-4s and its Popeyes will be transferred to F-15Ks operating Taurus and the new KF-21 operating Chunryong.

First unit to receive KF-21 will be the 18th Fighter Wing (K-18) that has two squadrons. They will receive all 40 Block 1 aircraft and transfer the remaining F-5 variants to the 10th Fighter Wing.

Second to Receive KF-21 would be the 10th Fighter Wing (K-13) which has 3 squadrons. One of them operates F-4 and will be disbanded this year following the retirement of Phantom. Remaining 2 will receive the first 40 Block 2 aircraft.

Third to receive the final 40 Block 2 aircraft will be the 19th Fighter Wing (K-75). They operate 3 squadrons, one of them being KF-16U (Block 72) and the other 2 operating PBU (Block 32). I don't know if they will transfer the block 72 aircraft to the other KF-16 operating units.

Currently RF-16 based on the Block 52 aircraft has replaced the RF-4 but following the Viper upgrade, the new mission computer is allegedly causing compatibility issues with the Israeli and Korean ELINT/RECCE pods. So from what I've heard, part of the the F-16PBUs being replaced by KF-21 will be used as the new RF-16 instead of being put on reserve/completely retired