Furry avatars of doom

oh-oh-copy-2-jpg.791678

Yep. Been there, done that. Our big red Charlie, who later intimidated cows AND the neighbours' evil tempered Dalmatian, bolt upright when the light went on :eek:

Attachments

• Larry_Chief_Mouser.jpg
    Larry_Chief_Mouser.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 24
Polydactyl cats are interesting... and one does wonder if they act as built-in snowshoes?

Male kitten with 23 toes.

View attachment 736856
My brother and his wife have a polydactyl Maine Coon, which they've called Polly. She also has a long bushy tail. These are all the result of artificial selection, but they tell me they serve well in cold, snowy climates. I do warn them that since she has thumbs, their days might be numbered. Here she is at two years old.

IMG_4355.JPG

What do you mean the bloody tech priests have fouled up again?! I thought those CATs of theirs didn't have any organic components...

My brother and his wife have a polydactyl Maine Coon, which they've called Polly. She also has a long bushy tail. These are all the result of artificial selection, but they tell me they serve well in cold, snowy climates. I do warn them that since she has thumbs, their days might be numbered. Here she is at two years old.

View attachment 736914
Frankly, at this particular point in time, when following the global news cycle, I'm starting to feel like this here planet just might be so much better off if we just ceded control to our benign and benevolent feline overlords... All in favor of slit pupil four limbed furry legged mammals taking over control please rise...

Frankly, at this particular point in time, when following the global news cycle, I'm starting to feel like this here planet just might be so much better off if we just ceded control to our benign and benevolent feline overlords... All in favor of slit pupil four limbed furry legged mammals taking over control please rise...
If all humans vanished, they'd probably have a good chance of succeeding us over the next few million years (I know, evolution isn't teleological). We've distributed them worldwide, they're numerous, intelligent, highly adaptable, good at hiding, and establish human-independent populations easily (inevitably, in fact). Despite being obligate carnivores, they're small, meaning that they don't require so much mass of prey, which was one of the filters for the KT event.

If all humans vanished, they'd probably have a good chance of succeeding us over the next few million years (I know, evolution isn't teleological). We've distributed them worldwide, they're numerous, intelligent, highly adaptable, good at hiding, and establish human-independent populations easily (inevitably, in fact). Despite being obligate carnivores, they're small, meaning that they don't require so much mass of prey, which was one of the filters for the KT event.
One caveat in this scenario is how domestic dogs would fare in that situation. Due to the vastly different sizes and associated physical capabilities of dog breeds, I think it is likely that at least in North America larger dogs would eventually more or less successfully interbreed with wolves and coyotes and form roaming packs that would hunt as coordinated units. With cats typically being solitary predators, I have reason to believe that one of our cats became the victim of coyotes in our Southern California neighborhood, so in certain areas stuff like this is already happening. But then again, depending on population density, abandoned house cats might well form a clowder (I've repeatedly encountered social groups of feral cats in the more or less wild in different locations) and go to battle bloody tooth and claw with those darned canines...

Last edited:
I sense there might be a SF story line somewhere in this scenario...

Here I thought the Panda’s “thumb” would be the deciding factor.

Kzinti

Last edited:
I was thinking that in the absence of humans, global distribution would be key - feral populations would be isolated but in many different locations and habitats with different pressures. More rolls of the dice.

All those science fiction stories about the end of humans are nothing more than the aftermath of the Cold War. It is almost impossible for all humans to be exterminated by something that we cannot defend ourselves against using technology and if there is something powerful enough to exterminate us, it would also do so with monkeys and raccoons.

Cats would survive by eating each other... but without hands and with his usual inability to cooperate... they would not survive the next asteroid.

Supposedly another furry creature you should fear.

455986582_1046752813684284_250916485688642703_n.jpg

However, the poor beastie is very misunderstood.