Apparently I did not remember correctly. Fixed.

Well you could do non-flying trainers without all the expensive avionics specifically for that role, you could even use the real things. The difference is that they are not racking up high-G flight hours in unforgiving environments.
Yes, you could probably use some of the higher-hour airframes for all the weapons handling stuff, because you need to make sure the weapons get plugged into the data bus correctly.

You will save a lot of flying time because the CCAs will not need to fly every time, you can simulate them in the combat systems of the 6th gen plane.

But you're still going to have to fly some live hours for practice.

That depends mostly on the sensors and other systems fitted as to how expensive the CCA is. IIRC, well over 40% 35% of the cost of the F35 is all the sensors and systems. Cut the systems down to a single IRST/EOTS and no radar or DAS, you get a much cheaper aircraft even if it does used the same engine and skin materials as an F35.

Go down to LO shaping with minimal RAM usage and you save more money. Since most of the RCS is determined by external shape, you get a lot more leverage from shaping than from RAM.

Edit: obviously I didn't remember correctly... mea culpa.

I can see removing some of the same systems, and maybe going cheap on a few, but if this thing is going to be autonomous at all it will need a suite of sensors just for the AI to fly it. Whether its radar, ultrasonic, IR, or TV it'll need to know where it is and what's around it to taxi, fly, and land. Not only that, having a higher quality radar or IRST would be extremely useful as you can send the cheaper unmanned drone ahead with its sensors and have it do the scouting for your manned fighter in the back.

Maybe that means one or two recon CCA's with all the sensors and a few strike CCA's with only basic guidance sensors, but I wonder if most governments will want to gimp their strike CCA's like that by relying on another craft for targeting.

I can see removing some of the same systems, and maybe going cheap on a few, but if this thing is going to be autonomous at all it will need a suite of sensors just for the AI to fly it. Whether its radar, ultrasonic, IR, or TV it'll need to know where it is and what's around it to taxi, fly, and land. Not only that, having a higher quality radar or IRST would be extremely useful as you can send the cheaper unmanned drone ahead with its sensors and have it do the scouting for your manned fighter in the back.
But do you need both a high end radar and an EOTS and a DAS installed on the same airframe?

If not you have whatever your AI requires and then either radar or EOTS or DAS. I know most of the CCA concepts were talking about EOTS only, even for the air-to-air capable versions. Not sure I agree with that, I'd rather have the CCA emitting radar and the manned plane flying passive.

Nicknamed 'Goblin Shark' now

Here's its namesake.

537321-alamy-j7ye66-a3282fa69177742853997bb0b7e714fb.jpg sttxftlngdbqoooyk6xa.gif

Has there been any clarification about what's going on with the vertical tails?

Aha, good point! Not by Airbus, who call it the Wingman Concept of course. A nickname is a colloquial name, so I thought that the author might have picked it up from chatter at the show, but he coined the term himself. Oh well, it may end up in common use. I think it does look more like a goblin shark than a spiny lumpsucker.

View: https://twitter.com/Hush_Kit/status/1797988351284502541

Hush-Kit Aviation News, History & Satire

@Hush_Kit

Me. I thought the low intake makes it look a bit like a Goblin Shark.

There is actually a UAV called the Goblin Shark though:

Last edited:
OMGI6CL5OFH2HA7UCGLFAT3K5Q.jpg

This chart should be made dimensionless by dividing each value by the yearly combined projected average total DoD budgets of the participants in each programs. Otherwise it doesn´t mean much.

What is the drain of resources in % for France, Germany, Spain regarding their defence effort? What is it for UK/Japan etc...

What is the drain of resources in % for France, Germany, Spain regarding their defence effort? What is it for UK/Japan etc...
Agree, good question. The GCAP and FCAS countries seem fairly similar in terms of their financial strength.

The US economy is 2x larger and defense spending is 2x higher in % so their total equipment spend is 5x higher. But they are also spending more than 5x as much based on the above graph….

GCAP (Japan, UK, Italy)
$14 trillion GDP (PPP)
x 1.7% defense spending
= $240B defense budget
Equipment budget is 24.5% so $60B/yr.

FCAS (Germany, France, Spain)

$12.2 trillion GDP (PPP)
x 1.6% defense spending
= $200B defense budget
Equipment budget is 27% so $55B/yr.

US
$28.5 trillion GDP (PPP)
x 3.5% defense spending
= $1,000B defense budget
Equipment budget is 29% so $300B/yr.

Last edited:
According to the nbr above (that I haven´t crosschecked myself):

So 2% for the USA per programs*
3% for FCAS countries**
3% for GCAP countries**

However, IMOHO, NGAD is somewhat at the end of a 10 years effort, hence R&D spending are maxed out regarding Euro prog that should see some drastic increase.

*value rounded at 6Bn each
**values rounded at 2Bn each

Last edited:
Poland plans to join Franco-German fighter plane and battle tank projects
Asked about the possibility of Poland joining the MGCS and SCAF projects, Kosiniak-Kamysz responded to journalists after a trilateral meeting of defense ministers: “Regarding large-scale weapon systems, at the initiative of France and Germany, I showed openness today. I am open to our Weimar Triangle allies strengthening our ties in all these areas. » “We are interested in closer ties, including in the field of the defense industry,” he added.

Poland plans to join Franco-German fighter plane and battle tank projects
Would be great if they could, but they were already rejected once in the MGCS front and considering all the outcry when Belgium joined as a mere observer status, I don't really see either of it happeneing.

GCAP Tier 2 seems much more plausible. Then again, it rather seems more politically motivated than based on actual possibilities, as this is definitely something the new heavily pro-EU and pro-Germany governement would like to pull off.

Would be great if they could, but they were already rejected once in the MGCS front and considering all the outcry when Belgium joined as a mere observer status, I don't really see either of it happeneing.
It actualy would make sense to get poland in now given the new state of Europe and poland being a one with the largest tank fleets makes it perfect. Also would help against more orders outside of europe.

It actualy would make sense to get poland in now given the new state of Europe and poland being a one with the largest tank fleets makes it perfect. Also would help against more orders outside of europe.
That is true from a more pragmatic and rational point of view, but industrial protection and politics are often what gets in the way.

Though come to think of it, maybe the large export deal with Korea might have given France and Germany a reality check.