The Mexican Navy tried to buy Su-27s back in 2006. There is a need a for a high-performance fighter than can catch and force down business jets. While I agree the F/T-7A makes sense (as does the F/A-50) the Typhoon might be cheaper, available much sooner, and is twin-engined.
I'm aure there are other jets that are more optimally suited for this role.

The Fighter Attack variant of Leonardo's Master trainer could be an other possibility snne.

The P4E SD Contract has been signed, laying the foundations for the next major upgrade package.

The System Definition isn't yet a full development contract though. Such a D3Q contract is due when the SD phase is finished, or at least close to be finished.

Key features covered by the SD phase comprise:
- Common Radar Interface compatible with all radar variants
- New task based management operating principle for the sensor suite as a whole
- DASS enhancements (likely new digital ESM receiver and SDS)
- IOC for German EK variant (initial integration of the Arexis and possibly AGM-88E)
- RF Interoperability enhancements to ensure proper RF interoperability between new/upgraded systems

The actual scope might be greater than what is publicly announced, but AMK seems not to be in for the moment.

Service life extension is being investigated as well under the SD contract, but I don't expect it to have an immediate impact.

15 x Typhoon EK to Germany - Now called EK instead of ECR. Airbus has said is unlikely that just 15 will be ordered. However, these are upgrades of existing airframes*
I'm expecting ~30-35 (total) Typhoon EK to Germany, close to 1-for-1 replacing the Tornado ECRs.

Italy might get some, but will probably rely on F-35 capabilities to approximate the ECR/EK.

I'm aure there are other jets that are more optimally suited for [chasing down business jets].
Not many that are also cheap. You need a supersonic aircraft to chase down a business jet, most of them can do M=0.9 and change, at 45,000ft (I'm in a pilots group on FB, I've seen M=0.96 at 47k posted for some of the high end bizjets). So there's an armed T-7, an FA-50, or a real fighter. The M346 Master is only supersonic in a dive, max speed is 590knots.

A Tranche 1 Typhoon will definitely do that job well and not be absurdly expensive to operate, and will have good spare parts support from everyone who still has Typhoons of whatever Tranche.

The P4E SD Contract has been signed, laying the foundations for the next major upgrade package.

The System Definition isn't yet a full development contract though. Such a D3Q contract is due when the SD phase is finished, or at least close to be finished.

Key features covered by the SD phase comprise:
- Common Radar Interface compatible with all radar variants
- New task based management operating principle for the sensor suite as a whole
- DASS enhancements (likely new digital ESM receiver and SDS)
- IOC for German EK variant (initial integration of the Arexis and possibly AGM-88E)
- RF Interoperability enhancements to ensure proper RF interoperability between new/upgraded systems

The actual scope might be greater than what is publicly announced, but AMK seems not to be in for the moment.

Service life extension is being investigated as well under the SD contract, but I don't expect it to have an immediate impact.
Wasn‘t part of P4E Taurus cruise missile for EF?

Have they tested the Taurus cruise missile on Eurofighter at all? I thought that after the RAF clearing the Storm Shadow the Luftwaffe would have been quick to clear the Taurus as well.

Have they tested the Taurus cruise missile on Eurofighter at all? I thought that after the RAF clearing the Storm Shadow the Luftwaffe would have been quick to clear the Taurus as well.
Yes. It was testet already and while it is a close call it works. But i don't now if uprated engines and / or AMK are needed

Chancellor Scholz - English Translation via X

"We want a strong aerospace industry in Germany and Europe. This includes planning security in the defense industry. That is why we are ensuring reliable orders - including the order for 20 more Eurofighters in this legislative period. #ILA24"

View: https://twitter.com/Bundeskanzler/status/1798300549588353071

The translation from X is not accurate from my point of view.
If someone from germany say "starke Luft- und Raumfahrtbranche" it does not automatically mean a strong aerospace industry. It could include a strong aerospace industry but could also mean a strong aerospace business with buying chinese products and sale them further as european products.

I'm expecting ~30-35 (total) Typhoon EK to Germany, close to 1-for-1 replacing the Tornado ECRs.

Italy might get some, but will probably rely on F-35 capabilities to approximate the ECR/EK.

Not many that are also cheap. You need a supersonic aircraft to chase down a business jet, most of them can do M=0.9 and change, at 45,000ft (I'm in a pilots group on FB, I've seen M=0.96 at 47k posted for some of the high end bizjets). So there's an armed T-7, an FA-50, or a real fighter. The M346 Master is only supersonic in a dive, max speed is 590knots.

A Tranche 1 Typhoon will definitely do that job well and not be absurdly expensive to operate, and will have good spare parts support from everyone who still has Typhoons of whatever Tranche.
The Typhoon is very expensive to support and has much lower availability than a Rafale. Any obsolete Tranche 1s are better parted out for current operators than sold on to an unsuspecting developing nations.

There’s also the question of why the Mexicans would need to intercept extremely high end business jets? If anyone hasn’t noticed, the Mexican drug cartels largely control events on the ground and don’t require expensive aviation assets to conduct their trade.

The Typhoon is very expensive to support and has much lower availability than a Rafale. Any obsolete Tranche 1s are better parted out for current operators than sold on to an unsuspecting developing nations.
Tbh that's on Luftwaffe and et al. though... I'm sure that on the hands of others who take their security more seriously, the availability could actually increase; it's just that I'm not sure if Mexico is one of these countries.

Wasn‘t part of P4E Taurus cruise missile for EF?

Apart from the fact the requirements/priorities change permanently, i wasn't planned to my knowledge at this stage. I expect that P4E will be eventually split into increments and it might well be that Taurus comes at some time around 2030+. The carriage trials performed in 2014 were conducted in support of Storm Shadow, it were air data gathering trials only. For full Taurus integration full carriage envelope trials, separation tests and weapon system integration is required. That's a lot of work to do.

The Typhoon is very expensive to support and has much lower availability than a Rafale.
I have no data about operating costs but regarding availability, this is simply not true. German Eurofighters used to have a bad rap when it comes to availability not so long ago but that was an entirely self-inflicted problem. Measures were taken to improve the situation and according to the Bundeswehr Material Readiness Report II/2021, German Eurofighters now have a availability rate of over 80% which is pretty good. Havent heard any complaints from other Eurofighter operators about their supposed lack of availability either. In contrast, in 2021 French AF Rafales had an availability rate of only 55% while their Navy counterparts did slightly better at 61%. This is according to official French parliamentary reports.

"Whactch'ya think?"
Erm, rubbish?
You can't even see the screen for the glare, let alone with a helmet on and visor etc., looks in a worse state than my work computer screen.

Same thoughts here Scorpion82, I do not like this screen at all. Let's wait and see if this is just another prototype.

I have no data about operating costs but regarding availability, this is simply not true. German Eurofighters used to have a bad rap when it comes to availability not so long ago but that was an entirely self-inflicted problem. Measures were taken to improve the situation and according to the Bundeswehr Material Readiness Report II/2021, German Eurofighters now have a availability rate of over 80% which is pretty good. Havent heard any complaints from other Eurofighter operators about their supposed lack of availability either. In contrast, in 2021 French AF Rafales had an availability rate of only 55% while their Navy counterparts did slightly better at 61%. This is according to official French parliamentary reports.

To add to this....the RAF and its partners. RSAF, RAFO and QEAF have got the per hour flight costs of Typhoon down to late model F-16 levels....under the Project Tytan banner....not sure if this work has been shared with the other operators as it does rely on certain constructs within the UK and BAE manage the servicing of RSAF, RAFO and QEAF Typhoon.

They will certainly opt for a LAD, for advantages of sensor resolution exploitation and flexibility in reconfiguration. It has it's clear advantages, albeit I prefer the more traditional approach, I understand the route being taken.

Let's see if they go with the BAEs Large Area Display I think that would help boost BAE Systems technology by a long way timmymagic.

It's a shoo in. BAE have been developing it for an age, plus it will be on the UK's T3's with ECRS Mk.2 as its a necessary upgrade, with Striker II helmet.

Sorry about the annoying presenter though...

Not your fault. But indeed he's annoying. The entire series is a joke, if you ask me. Long gone are the times when Eurofighter was still producing at least some interesting public materials. Anyone remembers the old Vortex magazines? And there was another one preceding the current EF WORLD. Even the website itself was more interesting in the past.

I can agree with you on that point Scorpion82, I do not know who redesigned the Eurofighter website but I do not like the way it currently looks.

I can agree with you on that point Scorpion82, I do not know who redesigned the Eurofighter website but I do not like the way it currently looks.

Apparently the marketing/PR guys at EF GmbH. Albeit there have been some silly things piblished in the past already, such as GBU-24 on inboard wing pylons and other heavy stores on models and graphics/renderings, albeit these weapons don't even fit there.