Boeing Starliner

It’s missed its first docking window. CAPCOM advises that they "lost the first docking window" and are still reviewing thruster data. Commentator mentions that the second window opens at 12:33 pm US/Central.

A5/Starliner CFT: Mission control has told the crew to hold off on entering the 200-meter-wide "keep out sphere," a protective zone around the space station; in a call to the crew, the CAPCOM said "here's the deal right now. We are zero fault tolerant for (not understandable) control, so we cannot technically get into the keep out sphere. However, we would like you to go ahead and fly us in to 200 meters and stationkeep at 200 meters under manual" while controllers continue their analysis

View: https://x.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1798747671739683312

A5/Starliner CFT: In what is a fluid situation to say the least, NASA now says analysis shows the Starliner has the redundancy they need to push into the keep out sphere and press ahead with docking at the second opportunity; but first, the team is going to conduct additional hot-fire tests of three jets in an attempt to recover the two RCS thrusters that are still off line and to double check the performance of the third

View: https://x.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1798753808925011992

The Space Bucket has uploaded a video about the Starliner docking with the ISS despite RCS problems:

It seems Boeing’s Starliner Spacecraft can’t quite get away from various complications on its first crewed mission. Earlier today and not too long after the additional helium leaks were found, the decision was made to call off the initial docking as five of the spacecraft’s thrusters failed. As a result, NASA and Boeing decided to push the docking back a few hours as they dealt with the problem and ensured everything was safe to proceed.
Thankfully this eventually resulted in a successful docking with the ISS, marking the first crewed flight on Starliner to reach the orbiting laboratory. It does however beg questions about whats to come in the next few days. Here I will go more in-depth into Starliner’s initial approach, the loss of thrusters, what to expect in the near future, and more.
Chapters:
0:39 - Thruster Failure
3:42 - Similar Problems

The Space Bucket has just uploaded a video concerning the Strainer's ongoing helium leaks:

It’s now been about 6 days since Starliner docked to the International Space Station for the first time with Crew, and already teams are starting to prepare for undocking and reentry. This includes ground teams assessing the five helium leaks on Starliner to determine if they pose any risk for the return mission.
A recent statement suggests that they don’t plan to leave the station until June 18th at the earliest. That gives the crew time to complete more Starliner-related tests at the station and ground crews to check and make sure the spacecraft is operating as intended. Here I will go more in-depth into the current state of Starliner, the impact of its leaks, the crew’s progress, and more.
Chapters:
0:34 - Helium Leak Status
3:51 - Starliner's Return

So if starliner un-docks and the thrusters won't fire / the helium leaks cause big problems is there a way to go and get them back?

I'm guessing not, can't see Dragon having a way to attach pull them back to ISS.

I think i'd be asking for a lift back in Dragon personally!

So if starliner un-docks and the thrusters won't fire / the helium leaks cause big problems is there a way to go and get them back?
How is it to undock if thrusters don't fire. And why wouldn't they if they know the helium pressure before undocking?

How is it to undock if thrusters don't fire. And why wouldn't they if they know the helium pressure before undocking?
Well thats why i ask as i'm not and rocket scientist.

Let me be more specific for you.

It undocks, with a leak they think is ok. The thrusters fire to undock, they then have a worsening leak, with failing thrusters, so the ship is now free floating with no propulsion.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide an answer or insite into that?

Well thats why i ask as i'm not and rocket scientist.

Let me be more specific for you.

It undocks, with a leak they think is ok. The thrusters fire to undock, they then have a worsening leak, with failing thrusters, so the ship is now free floating with no propulsion.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide an answer or insite into that?
not going to leak that fast and there are multiple systems.

The hand-wringing over these leaks is very overblown. These are tiny leaks in the scheme of things, at least for right now, with large reserves of helium on board. And they seem to be completely stopped while the vehicle is docked.

As for the helium leak, flight engineers have examined the leak rate and confirmed that Starliner has sufficient margin to support a return trip to Earth. With Starliner docked to the ISS the manifolds are all closed preventing any helium loss until the return trip which takes just seven hours. Even with the manifolds open and the rate of leak there is sufficient helium to support 70 hours of flight time.

Hmmm!!!

The Independent is not what I'd call a useful source for this kind of topic.

The departure was delayed to avoid conflicting with a scheduled spacewalk (which was itself delayed for technical reasons, but no one is talking about abandoning ISS because of it.) Having delayed, they aren't going to pull the departure forward again.

The Independent is not what I'd call a useful source for this kind of topic.

The departure was delayed to avoid conflicting with a scheduled spacewalk (which was itself delayed for technical reasons, but no one is talking about abandoning ISS because of it.) Having delayed, they aren't going to pull the departure forward again.
Depends how much you buy the spin NASA is putting on this in their press releases about the delay.

NASA, Boeing to Discuss Starliner’s Mission

NASA and Boeing will discuss Starliner’s mission and departure from the International Space Station as part of the agency’s Boeing Crew Flight Test in a pre-departure media teleconference at 12 p.m. EDT Tuesday, June 18.

NASA, Boeing, and station management teams will evaluate mission requirements and weather conditions at available landing locations in the southwestern U.S. before committing to the spacecraft’s departure from the orbiting laboratory.

Participants in the news conference include:
• Steve Stich, manager, NASA’s Commercial Crew Program
• Dana Weigel, manager, NASA’s International Space Station Program
• Mike Lammers, flight director, NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston
• Mark Nappi, vice president and program manager, Commercial Crew Program, Boeing

The Space Bucket put a video a few ours ago concerning NASA pushing back the Strainer's departure date date from the ISS:

Boeing’s first crewed Starliner launched earlier this month on the 5th and arrived at the International Space Station on the 6th. What was originally intended to be an approximately week-long stay has since been extended by quite a bit. The agency just announced that the new target return date will be June 22nd, about another week away.
The reason has to do with the margin being available, and teams wanting to complete additional testing on the spacecraft along with ensuring they pick a good return date. Here I will go more in-depth into the recent extension, the remaining plans while at the station, what tests need to be completed, and more.
Chapters:
0:31 - More Testing
4:01 - Time At The Station

They specifically said that they are going to do additional non related test and then leave both astronauts take a break for the w.e before attempting a re-entry. That seems pretty reasonable.

Regarding the leak, this is not a valve issue at this stage but a gasket type of failure in a flanged assembly (manufacturing issue from one single contractor source). Their say is that they need 10 times less thruster time than they have available helium left.

It doesn´t seems at all catastrophic as reported here and there.

So what will happen to Starliner if the undocking is deamed too risky, more importantly what will the astronauts do to get back?

So what will happen to Starliner if the undocking is deamed too risky, more importantly what will the astronauts do to get back?
Ask Elon.....

Seriously, the only viable scenario (not easy but not impossible) is to rush SpaceX to launch a Crew Dragon with only two astronauts, leaving the two seats empity for both Suni and Butch. Obviously there are several trivial matters like hardware availability, windows, time constraints and the last (but not least) to find a couple of SpaceX pressurized suit of the appropriate size.

Unfortunately when NASA has issued the COTS contract has never thought about common interfaces, with the dramatic results that a Boeing's seat couldn't swap with SpaceX's seat and Boeing and SpaceX suits doesn't share the same connectors.....

The setbacks is to have two more crews onboard the ISS for a long time (months for sure).

According to Wiki ( i know but struggled to find info elsewhere)

Space x have 4 Crew dragons currently:

Endeavour: Currently docked at ISS
Resilience: adapted for Jared isaacman Polaris mission

Endurance: Due to be launched to ISS Aug, with 4 astronauts, so that's an option if needed, just launch with 2
Freedom, Due for launch Oct, so probably not ready to do a quick launch.

If NASA and boeing decide to de-orbit Strainer empty, rather than risk crew if they have big concerns, shortish term transport is available.

Quite right The K2, Boeing will have to think long and hard about it's future in the space industry after all these problems with Starliner before even launching another to the station.