Yup and then you have the new hottest that is the US Army V280 Valor.

Which as I understand it, basically fixes many of the issues the Osprey had and improves on the idea a good bit.

Will not surprise me if alot of V22s get replaced by the V280s.

It is also one of the most operated platforms in the DoD. I have no numbers for say, F-22 or F-35 or any contemporary air platform. Also it is the first operational tilt rotor. I am not trying to say that it is without faults. I remember that when the AH-64 came out it was castigated as a gold plated monster that could not get out of the hanger. UH-60 was called "Lawn Dart". I am sure there are many other stories for successful aircraft. It is not the greatest platform but it has served its purpose well.

It would be difficult, since the V-280 has a smaller cabin and no ramp. The Marines have committed to several important systems on the Polaris MRZR Alpha vehicle, for example, which fits in a V-22 but not inside a V-280.

It would be difficult, since the V-280 has a smaller cabin and no ramp. The Marines have committed to several important systems on the Polaris MRZR Alpha vehicle, for example, which fits in a V-22 but not inside a V-280.
Which is why I said alot not all.

Likely will end up seeing a similar type of deal that the Relationship between the Osprey and Valor as the Blackhawk type and Chinook/Stallion has.

Basically the Valor does the light duty quick in out deal with a few squads of marines, while the V22 brings in the Polaris. Basically one becomes the sedan you drive everyday and tge other is tge truck that you brake out when needed.

That is if the Marine is just an Army Valor with folding wings. Likely be far different if such thing do happen.

It's possible that the V-280 could replace the AH-1/UH-1 but probably not the Ospreys.

The V-280 may take less hangar space than an Osprey, but amphibious ships have only so many spots for launching helos at the same time. Swapping V-280s with 14 troops for V-22s with 24 troops is a 40% cut in the number of troops you can land in a single wave.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Which is why I said alot not all.

Likely will end up seeing a similar type of deal that the Relationship between the Osprey and Valor as the Blackhawk type and Chinook/Stallion has.

Basically the Valor does the light duty quick in out deal with a few squads of marines, while the V22 brings in the Polaris. Basically one becomes the sedan you drive everyday and tge other is tge truck that you brake out when needed.

That is if the Marine is just an Army Valor with folding wings. Likely be far different if such thing do happen.
You are aware (maybe?) that the USMC has, for at least the last 60 years, operated a 3-tier vertical-lift force?

Left is 1963, right is 2023.
Heavy lift: CH-37 CH-53A/D CH-53E CH-53K (transitioning from CH-53E)

Medium lift: CH-34 CH-46 MV-22B

Light lift: CH-19 & OH-43D UH-1E UH-1N UH-1Y

If the USMC buys the V-280, it will be to replace the UH-1Ys - just as the US Army is buying it to replace their UH-60s.

Given the USMC mission and desire for more speed and range, plus the extended range challenge of the Pacific, it seems a logical choice for them. I would not be surprised if they are not already working the requirements. The only competitor at this point might be the AW-609 I would think.

Arbitary metric, 700,000 hrs/464 V-22 equals an average of only ~1,500 flight hrs per aircraft to date, for a $56 billion program cost plus its O&M costs and at first glance it doesn't appear a great return for the treasure heaped on it.
Other than there is NO other VTOL platform in any inventory that can cross the Pacific Ocean (with supporting air refuel) and land at most open spaces, roads, ships, etc. Nor to my knowledge are there ANY other VTOL platforms that CRUISE at ~230 knots and conduct missions in half the time of a conventional helicopter. There is an F-15E crew who bailed in Libya that might find it a good investment as well as several missions into the Sahal (sp) where kidnapped folks were recovered. Haiti in less than a day from North Carolina. Europe in two days (with equipment and tools needed for operations. The USMC has developed special units around the MV-22 for emergency actions in unstable areas, because other than C-17/C-130 lift they are the only ones who can make it AND it is the only one that can land at the embassy. Which has been done more than once.
It is not without fault, as it is the first of its kind that has been made operational and is very complex out of necessity. Until recently it had one of the best safety record in the US DoD. I do not know if that is still true, but it is not the worst. How many AH-64 have crashed this year? How many Blackhawk, F-18, F-16.
It is an easy target for the pundits (most of whom barely know the front from the back of rotorcraft) who arbitrarily use it to make market share.

1701553369796.png

Last edited:
VMAO stood for "Versatile Marine Attack and Observation", I believe. it was a proposed development in the early '90s for a platform to replace the AH-1W, UH-1N and OV-10D. It was supposed to be a tandem seat V/STOL aircraft with a range of 500nm, cruise speed of 325 knots and 30 minute dash speed of at least 350 knots. Carrying defensive armament and external tanks it was supposed to have a ferry range of 2100nm at at least 210 knots. Normal weapons load would be at least 12 PGMs (I don't know if they meant Hellfire, TOW or what), 38 rockets, 2 AIM-9X, and 1500 rounds of 20/25 mm ammo.

Clearly, they were looking at a Tilt-Rotor, and I suspect size would have been closer to that of the XV-15, which would have made development easier that the much larger V-22.

Given the Defense environment of the '90s, this wasn't going to happen.
And now we have the V-280 to fill that spot.

In my opinion....
1. The V-22 offers a set of capabilities that greatly aid the warfighter. How many times in afghanistan have we seen rotary wing aircraft pushed too far, too high, too hard. The V-22 is an ideal system for the conflicts we are engaged in today.
2. The original JVX was to be operational in *1988*. Pre-production V-22s were flying in 1990 - but only now are they operational, after billions of dollars and years of delays. At what cost do we get these capabilities?
Sadly, we discovered that some parts of the XV-15 did not scale up like we expected them to. See also the XFV-12.

Don't think I've ever seen anything on the drawing in the lower left hand corner.
Canard FSW folding rotors... That's way up there on the mid 1980s wild list.

That would be a tempting variant to model, along with the SV-22B. I've been sorely tempted to also do one in US Forest Service markings as a fire bomber using a mini-MAFSS and taking on water from a lake in hover mode.
You have no clue how much the USFS would love to have fire bombers like that...

While it is feasible that a new wing could be developed that moves the engines to a permenant horizontal position, the wing could not be made straight like the V-280 due to the relative position of the prop rotors to the ceter of gravity in helicopter mode. Someone with more aerospace engineering background will have to remark if there are any other aerodynamic issues associated with the modification of the wing to accept a non-rotating engine component.
It would be a slightly swept forward wing like that currently fitted to the V-22, it just would have fixed engines instead of tilting ones. This would simplify a number of aspects.

It would be a slightly swept forward wing like that currently fitted to the V-22, it just would have fixed engines instead of tilting ones. This would simplify a number of aspects.
I believe this is the current anticipated "re-wing solution" that the USMC is talking about for the aircraft update in the early 2030's timeframe.

I believe this is the current anticipated "re-wing solution" that the USMC is talking about for the aircraft update in the early 2030's timeframe.
And in the late 2030s they're probably going to buy V-280s to replace all the H-1s, so that all their VTOL stuff has the same rough performance capabilities.

And in the late 2030s they're probably going to buy V-280s to replace all the H-1s, so that all their VTOL stuff has the same rough performance capabilities.
This assumes the Bell FLRAA makes it into production. Given the ineptitude of the U.S. Army's ability to field rotorcraft, this is not a given.

Regarding the XV-15 going into production, it was never intended to and produceability was not a consideration in its design. In fact, many parts of it were scavenged from other programs and aircraft. Although arguably NASA's most successful aircraft, it was always intended to be strictly a technology demonstrator. They weren't looking for anything more than that. In fact, NASA was originally going to ground the second XV-15 after it finshed a series of tests, and Bell leased the aircraft from them and explored more of the envelope and did those demonstrations that generated so much favorable publicity.

Regarding LHX, the Tilt Rotor proposal (maybe two, Boeing has always been circumspect about whether they actually would formally propose a Tilt-Rotor, although they were designing a small one). For reasons never fully explained, the Army suddenly lowered its requirements from what was originally announced to what a conventional rotorcraft could achieve, and gave no credit for anything beyond that. They also gave very high emphasis to hovering performance. A Tilt-Rotor can hover all day, but in those days not as efficiently as a conventional helo because of the downwash over the wing (they've improved proprotor design since then). Combat experience has shown that mobility/agility is more important than hovering efficiency in the scout/attack role. In addition, the Army lowered the maximum allowable weight to just below what an LHX sized Tilt Rotor would weigh, and also restricted how powerful the engine the contractors could propose to use could be to just below what was planned for a Tilt-Rotor. Ironically, before it was canceled, the Comanche had exceeded the weight limit and was as heavy or heavier than a Tilt-Rotor would have been. To lift this weight, the Army allowed the engine to grow into the range that the Tilt-Rotor designs would have used.
Interesting observation. My last design job at Bell before exit to Structures was the XV-15 wing. IIRC Charlie Bowen had the transmission design (a nightmare with twin shafts to both engines to from 'mixing box' for engine loss contingency)- and my nightmare was the wing flex in jump takeoff making flap design 'interesting'.

My next job was to build a NASTRAN model of the Iranian Seacobra and validate the protocols for the Army. I believe, without proof that I might have built the first NASTRAN model for an Army airframe. Don't know but it was fun and set me on a different career path.

Not disputing that parts were scavenged from other programs, but I am curious as I wasn't aware of that.

This assumes the Bell FLRAA makes it into production. Given the ineptitude of the U.S. Army's ability to field rotorcraft, this is not a given.
Granted.

But the V-280 is exactly what the Marines have been looking for since the early 1990s, before the UH-1Y/AH-1Z program.

While it is feasible that a new wing could be developed that moves the engines to a permenant horizontal position, the wing could not be made straight like the V-280 due to the relative position of the prop rotors to the ceter of gravity in helicopter mode. Someone with more aerospace engineering background will have to remark if there are any other aerodynamic issues associated with the modification of the wing to accept a non-rotating engine component.
The issues with XV-15 were not aerodynamic/Flight Mechanics so much as structural and elasticity - with exception engine failure in hover mode.

Jump Take Off was the most severe issue. The mid wing deflections were enormous. Also the Cg of the engine/pod/rotor system was at the pivot point of the rotating engine pod - all at center of CG range.

The cg in the prop rotor range of action must have a thrust axis at or near the Cg as elevators will provide zero pitch authority.

That said, as I mentioned earlier, the greatest danger to flight safety is engine failure in helicopter mode - which was the major design issue to provide two drive shafts to the transmission. Engine failure on one side is offset by second shaft engaging from the mixing box transmission - being driven by active engine..

If I remember correctly, the only non-original parts in the XV-15 (not counting the engines, instruments, ejection seats, and the usual off-the-shelf hardware) were the CL-84's landing gear and vertical start/stop oil system modifications to the Lycoming T53 engine (Boeing was proposing to modify a Mitsubishi MU-2 fuselage). It was originally conceived by Bell as a civil product with PT-6 engines and the drive and rotor systems designed and in development for that purpose. NASA required one-engine inoperative hover performance, which resulted in a more powerful engine (which required the addition of a bespoke gearbox added to the front of the original one to accommodate the T53's different output RPM. NASA's budget for the program also resulted in the use of the CL-84 landing gear and addition of sponsons for the main gear.

Yanked from the Boeing 360 discussion:
Couple of thoughts, although we are getting away from the Boeing 360.

When JVX was first mooted, no one guessed that Cheney would cancel it and Clinton would delay it. So, said vehicle was designed to operate from existing platforms. Since there were provisions in the design for the other services (including the stillborne Army version), you ended up with a heavier vehicle than you would have had for pure HXM, and on a lighter aircraft you could have smaller proprotors. However, although JVX was heftier, it still had to meet the Marines' requirement for shipboard compatibility. You see this in other multi-service aircraft: F-35, CH-53, F-111 (ooooo, bad example), etc. The F-14 would have benefitted from being two feet longer, but that would have an impact on how many you could park and move on the flight and hangar decks The V-22 is not as efficient with the 38 foot discs as it would be with 43, but it's good enough to meet the need. As I said, there may have been different proprotors on the Army V-22 (I'm not sure), but that version didn't happen.
Since the LHAs are no longer in service (thank all that is holy) and are no longer driving a width limit on the Osprey, how much bigger could we make the proprotors on the V-22 without needing to replace the wings? I'm talking just a proprotor swap, maybe a new reduction gearing in the engines due to the diameter. Something that could technically be done in the fleet, in the field with an (engine&)proprotor swap, not a major rebuild of the airframe at a depot.

Yanked from the Boeing 360 discussion:

Since the LHAs are no longer in service (thank all that is holy) and are no longer driving a width limit on the Osprey, how much bigger could we make the proprotors on the V-22 without needing to replace the wings? I'm talking just a proprotor swap, maybe a new reduction gearing in the engines due to the diameter. Something that could technically be done in the fleet, in the field with an (engine&)proprotor swap, not a major rebuild of the airframe at a depot.
They can't get any larger. As it is, the proprotors are very close to each other in hover and the fuselage in forward flight.

Last edited:
They wouldn't re-size the rotor without making it part of a comprehensive upgrade like a new wing, even if there were more clearance. It's just not worth it to go through the extensive development and test program required unless there's a serious step up in performance.

I am not sure that the distances on the newer Assault Ships is significantly larger.

Having had the privilege of knowing some of the men who designed the platform, they would agree that a larger wing and rotor would have optimized the platform. However, they were quick to point out that in the US Navy, one designs aircraft to fit the ship, not the other way around. Another interesting note Bell asked the USMC if they wanted the cabin to be large enough for the new HUMMV that was to come out. USMC HQ was adamant that the USMC was just fine with the M151 Jeep and would not be buying the expensive Army Jeep replacement. So, the fuselage was designed around the Jeep.

They can't get any larger. As it is, the proprotors are very close to each other in hover and the fuselage in forward flight.

Looks like they could add another foot or maybe 2, depends on just how close you can have the rotor tips to the fuselage.

And remember, the difference between a 38ft proprotor and a 43ft proprotor is only 30" of blade length.

They wouldn't re-size the rotor without making it part of a comprehensive upgrade like a new wing, even if there were more clearance. It's just not worth it to go through the extensive development and test program required unless there's a serious step up in performance.
It would provide much less downwash velocity, as the 43ft proprotors are 28% greater in area.

Looks like they could add another foot or maybe 2, depends on just how close you can have the rotor tips to the fuselage.

And remember, the difference between a 38ft proprotor and a 43ft proprotor is only 30" of blade length.

No. This is a night shot of an Osprey with the rotor tip lights on. As you can see, they clear the cabin by inches.

1702691647943.png

No. This is a night shot of an Osprey with the rotor tip lights on. As you can see, they clear the cabin by inches.

View attachment 714375
Bugger, that's closer than I thought it was. :(

Guess it would take a new wing to make a bigger proprotor work, and that really jacks the price up.

Also, didin't realize that there were lights on the rotor tips...

Bugger, that's closer than I thought it was. :(

Guess it would take a new wing to make a bigger proprotor work, and that really jacks the price up.

Also, didin't realize that there were lights on the rotor tips...

Turns out it's 1 foot, which is considered the minimum safe clearance.

And it's also defined by the need to fit on an LHA deck with a specific clearance between the rotors and the island and from the main landing gear to the deck edge. I don't think the deck has gotten notably wider on the later LHDs, so that's still a governing dimension as well.

The V-22 must be able to operate adjacent to the island on a LHA. Requirements for a minimum clearance of 12' 8" from the island to the right rotor tip and 5 foot clearance from the left landing gear to the edge of the deck (Figure 8) coupled with a 1 ft. clearance between the rotor and fuselage in airplane mode results in a maximum wing span of 45.83' and rotor diameter of 38 feet.
1702694116007.png

Last edited:
Turns out it's 1 foot, which is considered the minimum safe clearance.

And it's also defined by the need to fit on an LHA deck with a specific clearance between the rotors and the island and from the main landing gear to the deck edge. I don't think the deck has gotten notably wider on the later LHDs, so that's still a governing dimension as well.
I think the new LHDs are wider across the flight deck, but when it's a whole new wing to install bigger proprotors that's way too much of an ask. Plus, adding 30" of blade length means adding 30" of wing length, so the whole Osprey is now 10ft wider, 5ft wider from the LHD island.

I think the new LHDs are wider across the flight deck, but when it's a whole new wing to install bigger proprotors that's way too much of an ask. Plus, adding 30" of blade length means adding 30" of wing length, so the whole Osprey is now 10ft wider, 5ft wider from the LHD island.
And the aft fuselage would require lengthening as well, for clearance of the upsweep to the vertical tails during wing-fold.

MV-22B JDS Hyuga 2013 #3.jpg

v22_folded.jpg

And the aft fuselage would require lengthening as well, for clearance of the upsweep to the vertical tails during wing-fold.

View attachment 714394

View attachment 714396
Well, crud, that shoots down that idea. Be cheaper to just build new at this point!

And yes I'd stretch the whole fuselage about 5ft, 2.5 aft of wing center and 2.5 forward, to keep CG in place. Would make a lot more space for the CMV-22 COD variant.

At one point it is rumored that the USN (at the USMC behest) had considered a quad rotor variant as a heavy assault mover. First it could not fit on the elevator, and likely would have been tough to maneuver in the hanger. So it would have spent its life above deck. I imagine that the expected cost of gluing two MV-22 together quickly terminated the idea along with all the shipboard challenges. The Army found out in its JHL effort that the forward rotor wake was very stressful on the rear rotor and wing. Much effort went into the rear wing of the Bell JHL effort.

At one point it is rumored that the USN (at the USMC behest) had considered a quad rotor variant as a heavy assault mover. First it could not fit on the elevator, and likely would have been tough to maneuver in the hanger. So it would have spent its life above deck. I imagine that the expected cost of gluing two MV-22 together quickly terminated the idea along with all the shipboard challenges. The Army found out in its JHL effort that the forward rotor wake was very stressful on the rear rotor and wing. Much effort went into the rear wing of the Bell JHL effort.
Eyeah that was the Boeing Design that was basically a VTOL capable C130 spec wise wasnt it?

If such a design did make it into service most likely it been a C130 replacement with the ability to lift from and or supply the CV/LHA/Ds but not be station on such ships.

Eyeah that was the Boeing Design that was basically a VTOL capable C130 spec wise wasnt it?

If such a design did make it into service most likely it been a C130 replacement with the ability to lift from and or supply the CV/LHA/Ds but not be station on such ships.
That's what I'd do with it. Something that big does have some other sneaky potentials, too. Imagine ~4 of those flying to an LHD to support a direct insertion out of nowhere!

Both Boeing and Bell worked on designs for the JHL late in the effort. Boeing did the JPALS effort which was a dual rotor, four engine effort that looked to be able to make a fixed wing turbofan version as well. Bell Quad Tilt Rotor was never intended as a C-130 replacement while it was a U.S. Army effort. As the Army weight grew with the FCS program the platforms continued to increase in size until the platforms were almost C-17 sized. The downwash/outwash got to the point that the platform could make its own landing zones and it became financial 'unobtainium' as well. Much on this is in the JHL thread.

The original dual V-22 was both a Boeing and Bell effort from the JPO I think. It did not go far and was dropped fairly quickly.

From Army Aviation 1983/8.

Attachments

• 13.png
    13.png
    763.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 14.png
    14.png
    803 KB · Views: 53
Some lieutenants were hopping with glee at their coming holiday present, only to find out Father Christmas was not real.

From Army Aviation 1986/11.

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 11.png
    11.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 12.png
    12.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 13.png