That's not a "hull plug" that's a "payload option module" that fits inside the hull between the fore and aft superstructures.

The length will remain the same regardless of which "payload option module" is installed.

And no, I don't think this is intended as a "swap-able module"... it will be installed while building, and will only be changed in a drydocking for a major overhaul or repair.

That's not a "hull plug" that's a "payload option module" that fits inside the hull between the fore and aft superstructures.
It seems to be intended - or at least the Congressional Research Service thinks so - that it's a hull plug to increase 'payload' capacity. Which, in practice, probably means being able to add more cells to offset reduced VLS capacity when 34.5" weapons replace 21" weapons at a 12 for 32 ratio. I doubt very much that any group command capability is part of that fit.

It's a 'module' in the same sense as the 'Virginia Payload Module', and I'd expect that it's something that's added to the ship at build, or else never fitted.

Wonder if the USN graphic showing the possibility of inserting a hull plug in the DDG(X) (if DDG(X) ever goes into build) were the Navy thinking of space required for 'AAW Flag Space'.
I'd imagine the AAW flag spaces would be in the superstructure (or alternatively buried in the hull underneath the superstructure) along with the CIC, and included from the very start at build.