Ukrainian Air Force F-16

It's quite possible that the Russians have found some way to fox the system, and trick it into believing friendly aircraft are enemy targets, and via versa.
It seemingly happened in western Ukraine.
It's just too far from Russia.

Not for things like logic bombs and waveform agents. Some of the attacking drones could have even been vectors for such an attack. Deception ECM and Information Warfare (more commonly known as Cyber warfare) comes in a lot of different shapes and sizes.

Last edited:
Not if the drones themselves were the ones conducting the EW. But then it was put down to 'a lack of coordination' so that could just mean the air force didn't give the SAM operators the IFF frequency, which could be why the air force commander has been fired.

Not if the drones themselves were the ones conducting the EW. But then it was put down to 'a lack of coordination' so that could just mean the air force didn't give the SAM operators the IFF frequency, which could be why the air force commander has been fired.

Translation: someone fucked up by not doing their job properly in coordinating things between SAM system operators and the F-16 pilots.

Yeah that’s puzzling as they are both US systems.

Patriot missiles also accidentally shot down F-16 and allied assets during the Gulf War. Many F-16 pilots feared friendly fire more than Sadam’s surface to air assets. IFF could reduce friendly fire incidents but not remove them all together.

This IVEWS would be very useful for Ukrainian F-16s.
Not sure if the A/Bs could hold a jammer internally?
The base of the C/D models vertical tail is much broader as it was to hold the ALQ-165 ASPJ (Which was partially cancelled)
1725591748236.png

So it would appear that the F-16 either got too close to a Russian cruise-missile it shutdown and was downed by the resulting shrapnel by flying into it or it was an "Own Goal" shutdown by a PAC2/3 due to improper use of IFF.

Thank you to the Admins for concatenning all those posts inside a new thread

May I suggest to (or to be ready to) rename this thread: Western Mustangs of the Ukrainian Air Force (or similar) since the M2K are coming...

May I suggest to (or to be ready to) rename this thread: Western Mustangs of the Ukrainian Air Force (or similar) since the M2K are coming...
Yep, plus gripen(with some work done even) and even eurofighter in sights.
The latter seems especially interesting - in retrospect, Ukrainian problem isn't money per se, it's training bottlenecks.

As unsuitable ef-2000 as it is(IMHO, at least - even tf.1 will be the most capable fighter proposed) - it is ultimately an established training process, with countries willing to risk their personel at least in the rear (UK), and one not too overloaded with exports.

OK, no problem, for me. It could be modified whenever needed

It would be interesting to include "Ukrainian" "F-16" "Mirage 2000" and "Grippen" in order to work as "tags" for always getting the most accurate results from the search engine.

Seconded!

OK, no problem, for me. It could be modified whenever needed

It would be interesting to include "Ukrainian" "F-16" "Mirage 2000" and "Grippen" in order to work as "tags" for always getting the most accurate results from the search engine.
I've seen a few threads with a crapton of tags/keywords, I'm just not sure how well making changes after creating the thread works on the software.