Surface Ships Need More Offensive Punch, Outlook

Uh, no. Can you read?
Yes. I'm thinking you shouldn't drink and post.

I’m suggesting the Burke’s’ Mk41s be ripped out in favor of a shorter, strike-length size G-VLS.

The current Burke Mk41 is as short as it can be and still fire Tomahawk and SM-3/6.

Yes. I'm thinking you shouldn't drink and post.

I’m suggesting the Burke’s’ Mk41s be ripped out in favor of a shorter, strike-length size G-VLS.

The current Burke Mk41 is as short as it can be and still fire Tomahawk and SM-3/6.
Yeah your right but the shorter he meant is actualy about the G-VLS which should exceeds the MK.41 size. He is proposing to cut it down into a shorter MK.41 strike length sized VLS.

Yeah your right but the shorter he meant is actualy about the G-VLS which should exceeds the MK.41 size. He is proposing to cut it down into a shorter MK.41 strike length sized VLS.
"Burke’s’ Mk41s be ripped out"

He's pretty specific I'd say. What is this "G-VLS" that he thinks Burkes are outfitted with?

It could if it uses its own cell design and not just 4 mk.41 cells (as i understand). Given that for 4 SM-6's we only need an 42 inch square tought for Safe measure and internal Walls we go up to 44 Inch square or 4 22×22 Inch squares. Mk.41 has only 2,06 Inch walls tought thinner ones should also be possible. But when we add them we get an 48,12×48,12 G-Cell. Small enough to fit 4 into the VLS and have an exhaust system with an 37,75×100 in space. Well if my math is right.

I found a slightly different version of the description here :

“You could take an eight-cell Mk 41 out -- the modules come in eight cells -- you could essentially put a four-cell of this CPS launcher and it has one cylindrical exhaust,” he continued. “But those four cells could either be ‘quad-packed’ with all the traditional Mk 41 missiles, or you can hold a CPS missile in there.”

The repetition does seem to rule out the possibility that this was a mistake of some sort, so I guess they think they can do it. This version does leave a little more daylight for the "quad-pack" using a different type of canister than the existing Mk 41-compatible ones. But it's still very tight.

Now, back to the original question -- I don't think swapping in these hypothetical "densepack" strike-length G-VLS modules would help the Burkes that much. They might free up some volume, but remember that more than half the weight of a loaded Mk 41 is in the missiles and their canisters, not the permanent structure. This is especially true as you increase the proportion of Tomahawk/SM-3/SM-6 in the loadout. So if you keep the missile load the same, halving the number of modules needed might only save ~60 tons off the ship.

Yeah as its kinda hard to replace them and still leaving them.
He's pretty specific I'd say. What is this "G-VLS" that he thinks Burkes are outfitted with?
G-VLS IS the Lockheed Martin VLS which comes after MK 41 / MK . 70 and kinda replaces / supplement it. Tought the official concept until now is too large for a replacement in the Burke without large modifications which is why he said strike length sized G-VLS.

Lockheed proposed a growth VLS (G-VLS) with the same deck footprint of a Mk 41 but the depth to handle CPS, so way deeper than standard strike-length Mk 41. They say that this G-VLS can hold 4 CPS or (somehow) also take 4 quad-packs of Mk 41-compatible missiles, for 16 cells in the deck area of an 8-cell Mk 41. @that_person was pondering the impact of replacing the existing Mk 41 VLS in a DDG with a version of this new G-VLS reduced to the same strike-length depth as the existing Mk 41 cells. In theory, that would allow you to carry the same number of missiles with half as many launcher modules, which should save some weight.

So if you keep the missile load the same, halving the number of modules needed might only save ~60 tons off the ship.
Closer to 96 tons. An empty Strike Length module is 32,000 lbs. Assuming we scale back from 12 to 6 modules, that saves 192000 pounds. And this isn’t accounting or any advanced in material science or other things weight reduction measures.

While not a lot of saved weight, that might be enough to increase cell length to something Mk57-size. Of course the extra height would need to go up and out of the ship, but that’s still something.

Other thing is a 44” tube can still accommodate wider missiles, even if they can’t get any longer. Thinking NTACMS and the 27” SM-3.

I really think there’s something here. Lockheed Martin evidently thinks the same, as they’re developing a version for the Burkes.

“You could take an eight-cell Mk 41 out -- the modules come in eight cells -- you could essentially put a four-cell of this CPS launcher and it has one cylindrical exhaust,” he continued. “But those four cells could either be ‘quad-packed’ with all the traditional Mk 41 missiles, or you can hold a CPS missile in there.”

The really interesting thing here is “cylindrical exhaust.” That’s a really strange choice. Any chance this is a coincentric launcher?

Think about it, something the size of CPS would need to be cold-launched, and the Navy has demonstrated repeated interest in coincentric launchers, going back to the 90s.

The really interesting thing here is “cylindrical exhaust.” That’s a really strange choice. Any chance this is a coincentric launcher?

Think about it, something the size of CPS would need to be cold-launched, and the Navy has demonstrated repeated interest in coincentric launchers, going back to the 90s.

We know CPS is cold-launched; it won't need any exhaust at all. But "one circular exhaust" would seem to rule out concentric canisters, since CCL requires one exhaust plenum surrounding each launch tube.

The repetition does seem to rule out the possibility that this was a mistake of some sort, so I guess they think they can do it. This version does leave a little more daylight for the "quad-pack" using a different type of canister than the existing Mk 41-compatible ones. But it's still very tight.
Yeah tought a thinner wall could be possible for it which would give ous a little bit more space tought we still would be somewere around 46-47 in cells which also is large. And that would be not very thick walls for it.

Fill the spaces around the missiles with styrofoam and it would be virtually unsinkable :D
On the other hand, it could be a case of something that isn't practical, until it is.
Tactical mobility and stealth isn't a thing in a "30,000+ public commercial orbital AESA arrays blasting the oceans 24/7" era. There is no hiding nor dodging satellite tracks or kill chains. There is only taking it on the chin.

This is only not so clear because only one side have this capability and there isn't enough space infrastructure to make shooting up there not an option for most conflicts.

What on earth are you talking about?
You said using a shorter launcher. Great. Now you cannot load anything Tomahawk length, which IIRC includes SM3 and SM6, and may include SM2ER and VL-ASROC.

SM3 you can argue about, I'm not sure how many the USN plans on using to deal with AShBMs. SM6s are also anti-hypersonic defenses. And if you get a launcher so short it can't take VL-ASROCs, don't even bother pitching that idea. ESSMs and ASROCs are ship self defense weapons, the Navy WILL NOT accept being unable to carry any of those in an effort to regain topweight.

You said using a shorter launcher. Great. Now you cannot load anything Tomahawk length, which IIRC includes SM3 and SM6, and may include SM2ER and VL-ASROC.

SM3 you can argue about, I'm not sure how many the USN plans on using to deal with AShBMs. SM6s are also anti-hypersonic defenses. And if you get a launcher so short it can't take VL-ASROCs, don't even bother pitching that idea. ESSMs and ASROCs are ship self defense weapons, the Navy WILL NOT accept being unable to carry any of those in an effort to regain topweight.
Guys do you read the Channel? Afterall we just talked it trought with sferrin. Yes the way He wrote it could be said to be missleading but we talked about it already. He means the G-VLS (what is designed for CPS) to be shortend to MK.41 Strike length so it fits in an arleigh burke class without needing extra structure to replace the MK.41 VLS. He was thinking that with that one could reduce the VLS Count while having the same VLS Cell capability as each G-VLS Cell is supposed to be able too quadpack an SM-6 (for example).

Yeah as its kinda hard to replace them and still leaving them.

G-VLS IS the Lockheed Martin VLS which comes after MK 41 / MK . 70 and kinda replaces / supplement it. Tought the official concept until now is too large for a replacement in the Burke without large modifications which is why he said strike length sized G-VLS.
Wonder whether this will also be integrated into the Typhoon, JTLV and other land based launchers?

Alright, I’m going to go over this one more time. Read these two articles real quick, they’re both really short.

Big takeaways from these articles
- Lockheed Martin is developing a new VLS system called “G-VLS”
- G-VLS is big enough to fit CPS
- Each G-VLS module is built to the same dimensions as a Mk41. But, because it fits CPS, a full G-VLS installation is ~15 feet taller than a Strike Length Mk41
- G-VLS has 4 cells, and each cell can quadpack Standards or Tomahawks. So you can fit 16 SM-6s per launcher instead of 8, all within the Mk41 footprint. This means you’re doubling the payload density.

What I am proposing:
Take a G-VLS installation (the new thing that can fire CPS), and cut it down to Strike Length. You now have a shortened G-VLS installation that can fire the exact same missiles as a Mk41. You’re going from ~40 feet —> 25 feet. It’s still Strike Length, you just can’t fire CPS from it.

Next, you rip all the Mk41s out, and install our shortened G-VLS. You could install just 6 modules and still retain the equivalent for 96 cells. Meanwhile, you need 12 Mk41 modules to carry 96 missiles. Quick napkin math says this will save nearly 90-something tons, and half the launcher space.

Any questions?

Alright, I’m going to go over this one more time. Read these two articles real quick, they’re both really short.

Big takeaways from these articles
- Lockheed Martin is developing a new VLS system called “G-VLS”
- G-VLS is big enough to fit CPS
- Each G-VLS module is built to the same dimensions as a Mk41. But, because it fits CPS, a full G-VLS installation is ~15 feet taller than a Strike Length Mk41
- G-VLS has 4 cells, and each cell can quadpack Standards or Tomahawks. So you can fit 16 SM-6s per launcher instead of 8, all within the Mk41 footprint. This means you’re doubling the payload density.

What I am proposing:
Take a G-VLS installation (the new thing that can fire CPS), and cut it down to Strike Length. You now have a shortened G-VLS installation that can fire the exact same missiles as a Mk41. You’re going from ~40 feet —> 25 feet. It’s still Strike Length, you just can’t fire CPS from it.

Next, you rip all the Mk41s out, and install our shortened G-VLS. You could install just 6 modules and still retain the equivalent for 96 cells. Meanwhile, you need 12 Mk41 modules to carry 96 missiles. Quick napkin math says this will save nearly 90-something tons, and half the launcher space.

Any questions?
Are you using empty launcher weights or loaded weights?

G-VLS has 4 cells, and each cell can quadpack Standards or Tomahawks. So you can fit 16 SM-6s per launcher instead of 8, all within the Mk41 footprint. This means you’re doubling the payload density.

Just a thought, but if you can quadpack Standards or Tomahawks could you 16x pack ESSM's per launcher?

Are you using empty launcher weights or loaded weights?
We don’t know the empty weight of G-VLS. But, the bottom line is you only need half the number of launchers, and we’re looking at 40+ years of advances in engineering and material science. Weight should come down quite a bit.

I don’t see what payload weight has to do with it. 96 Standards weigh the same in a G-VLS and a Mk41. That remains constant. But seeing as each Mk41 weights over 32,000 pounds, taking 6 of those out saves a lot of weight. Especially if the remaining 6 are probably lighter.

We don’t know the empty weight of G-VLS. But, the bottom line is you only need half the number of launchers, and we’re looking at 40+ years of advances in engineering and material science. Weight should come down quite a bit.
The only thing that could not allow this would be the extra stuff around the cell (exhaust and all) which if taken in a strike length cell into account may exceed the size of an MK.41 while having the same length. Tought until we know more it is an hypothical problem.

Yeah, that's called a lack of AAW Flag spaces, not a lack of capabilities. A Burke has a good 85-90% of the capabilities of a CG. (3/4 the weapons capacity, but the only thing a Tico has that a Burke doesn't is flag space)

So yes, the USN needs ships with AAW Flag spaces in them. We don't have to call them cruisers anymore.

New Startup Reveals Mini-Cruise Missile Project For Smaller Targets​

Ares Industries

New Startup Reveals Mini-Cruise Missile Project For Smaller Targets​

Ares Industries

Sounds Like an AN/SEA Venom with an jet engine or a Gray Wolf reiteration.

Yeah, that's called a lack of AAW Flag spaces, not a lack of capabilities. A Burke has a good 85-90% of the capabilities of a CG. (3/4 the weapons capacity, but the only thing a Tico has that a Burke doesn't is flag space)
Sounds like something to throw on the superstructure and call it a day.

~Just use the sekrit Pagoda tech~