SpaceX (general discussion)

I've thought about this, and I'm trying to understand what the advantage would be in jettisoning this after separation. I would have thought that it was simpler to just leave it attached to the booster for recovery . . .

cheers,
Robin.
It will remain attached eventually. Right now, it interferes with aerodynamics.

Having that weight above the grid fins--that cause an oscillation?
actual, it put too much mass on Superheavy, as original planned for decent and catch.
now they jettison the ring after stage separation, too keep the flight profile like intended.

I wonder how that Ring look like after fall and impact on Ocean...

The Space Bucket uploaded the other day a video concerning the upcoming IFT6 test-flight:

Only about 10 days after Integrated Flight Test 5, SpaceX is getting ready for flight 6 of Starship. This includes the recent transport of the booster to the launchpad for testing. If that wasn’t enough, with SpaceX practically approved for the next flight already, it means another launch very soon is within reach.
Considering the specific ship and booster that will fly next, we have an idea of what the flight profile will include and some of the milestones the company wants to reach.
Chapters:
0:00 - Intro
0:30 - Testing Is Underway
3:50 - Short-Term Upgrades

I hope that Musk gets a visit from the US state department AND the DoJ to remind him of something called the Logan Act.

The Logan Act is a United States federal law that criminalises,
the negotiation of a dispute between the United States and a foreign government by an unauthorised American citizen.
and is fined with $5,000
so far i know is Musk one of rich Man on Earth....

the negotiation of a dispute between the United States and a foreign government by an unauthorised American citizen.
and is fined with $5,000

It's also a felony which carries a prison sentence of up to three years, so while $5,000 would be pocket-change for Musk I highly doubt he'd like an involuntary three year "Holiday" at "Club Fed".

I hope that Musk gets a visit from the US state department AND the DoJ to remind him of something called the Logan Act.
For what?

"Vladimir Putin asked Elon Musk to avoid activating his Starlink satellite internet service over Taiwan as a favour to Chinese leader Xi Jinping, security officials in the US and Europe believe. (So no sources or proof.)

A Wall Street Journal report said the richest man in the world has been in regular contact with the Russian leader since late 2022, citing several unnamed current and former officials in the US, Europe and Russia. (Again, no sources.)

The report does not say whether Mr Musk took any action in response to Putin’s request. (They don't even claim he actually did anything.)

However, the Kremlin on Friday denied the report. “It’s all untrue, absolutely false information published in the newspaper,” said Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov." (And people, who have no reason to deny anything, deny it.)

Lastly, it's not against the law to not do business with a country. Even if Putin said, "I paid Elon a billion dollars not to do business with Taiwan" they'd still have to prove it, and it STILL wouldn't be illegal.

Last edited:
and is fined with $5,000
He's also legally prevented from providing service to Crimea due to current US sanctions.

Buried in the article, "Taiwan, which restricts foreign satellite operators, has been seeking to establish its own low-Earth orbit satellite network since the end of 2022"

Oh ...

So despite the obvious hit pieces, I think he's pretty well covered for this "favour" to Putin.

Last edited:
NASA administrator Bill Nelson isn't happy with SpaceX CEO Elon Musk after the Wall Street Journal reported that he has been in "regular contact" with Russian president Vladimir Putin for several years — even reportedly taking orders from the despot to prevent the activation of Starlink satellites over Taiwan as a favor to Chinese leader Xi Jinping.

Nelson told Semafor during Friday's Semafor World Economy Summit that he thinks the story "should be investigated."

"If its true there have been multiple conversations with Elon Musk and the president of Russia then that would be concerning particularly for NASA and the Department of Defense," he added.

It's a notable rebuke given SpaceX's close ties to both the space agency and the Pentagon. The space company has launched plenty of national security satellites, while NASA has become reliant on its Crew Dragon spacecraft to reach the International Space Station.

@Admin : Wouldn´t it be time we decouple Musk news story from that of SpaceX?
I have much respect for the guy but he has taken a controversial path toward daily media appearance that can only jam this very thread. Inevitably, Musk headlines are meant to outnumber that of SpaceX.

Rough landing?

At a post-splashdown news briefing, a NASA official said "the crew is doing great" and made no mention of any issues with the astronauts. He noted two hitches with Crew Dragon's parachute deployment.
Richard Jones, deputy manager of NASA's Commercial Crew Program, said Crew Dragon's initial set of braking parachutes suffered some "debris strikes" and that one of four parachutes in a subsequent set took longer than expected to unfurl.
Neither event affected crew safety, Jones said, calling the splashdown weather "ideal" for the crew's recovery.

From the looks of it, @sferrin has the accurate take here: it’s a nothingburger trotted to damage Musk for his political opinions as we get closer to election time. It’ll appeal to those who already hate Musk and won’t read past the headline, but no one else should take it seriously.
The fact the NASA administrator has had to issue a public rebuke hardly makes it nothing. Do you know how rare it is for them to do that.

@Admin : Wouldn´t it be time we decouple Musk news story from that of SpaceX?
I have much respect for the guy but he has taken a controversial path toward daily media appearance that can only jam this very thread. Inevitably, Musk headlines are meant to outnumber that of SpaceX.
Agreed. Let’s please keep this thread focussed only upon technical activities. That also includes cutting back on the Musk fanboy postings.

"Vladimir Putin asked Elon Musk to avoid activating his Starlink satellite internet service over Taiwan as a favour to Chinese leader Xi Jinping, security officials in the US and Europe believe. (So no sources or proof.)

Snip.

Putin asking Musk to do something without the official sanction of the US State department is a violation of the Logan act, Putin knows this and Musk knows this.

Lastly, it's not against the law to not do business with a country. Even if Putin said, "I paid Elon a billion dollars not to do business with Taiwan" they'd still have to prove it, and it STILL wouldn't be illegal.

Except this is not a business transaction, since Musk is operating without the official sanction of the US State department he's usurping what is the official prerogative of the US federal government.

Interesting audio reveals Starship booster close call:

View: https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1849914261482652113?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1849914261482652113%7Ctwgr%5E9c72eb3fb9d0b3ed55805a5564cb93836ba641cf%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fspacenews.com%2Fstarship-super-heavy-booster-came-within-one-second-of-aborting-first-catch-landing%2F

Most amazingly, IMOHO, we see Musk being apparently unfamiliar with the event while having a Bankman-Fried nervous episode...

One second of aborting first catch? It looked like all things went okay when I watched it, obviously things went differently behind the scenes and somone had their fingers on the abort button just in case.

Putin asking Musk to do something without the official sanction of the US State department is a violation of the Logan act, Putin knows this and Musk knows this.

Except this is not a business transaction, since Musk is operating without the official sanction of the US State department he's usurping what is the official prerogative of the US federal government.
You're missing the point. It's not illegal for a company to NOT do business with whoever it doesn't want to.

Interesting audio reveals Starship booster close call:

View: https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1849914261482652113?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1849914261482652113%7Ctwgr%5E9c72eb3fb9d0b3ed55805a5564cb93836ba641cf%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fspacenews.com%2Fstarship-super-heavy-booster-came-within-one-second-of-aborting-first-catch-landing%2F

Most amazingly, IMOHO, we see Musk being apparently unfamiliar with the event while having a Bankman-Fried nervous episode...
Why would he be? It's not like he was processing telemetry in his brain real-time. And what is a, "Bankman-Fried nervous episode"?

Ga1QMutbEAA2E0G