SpaceX (general discussion)

Just rhetorically: Honest question expecting an honest answer: How independent do you truly believe are any and all of the Tesla Boeing board members from Musk Dave Calhoun in any way, shape, or form, be it family, friendship, acquaintance, business, investment, ideological, political, nationality, religious, race, gender, age, romantic, platonic, sycophantic, or any other strictly legal purely identity or personality related aspect approval seeking related ties?
Slight correction - Calhoun is sooo yesterday, and the current Boeing President and CEO is actually Robert Kelly Ortberg, who currently has a few bigger issues to focus on, but in principle your point is extremely well taken. I'm not a company man, and I have no illusions in that respect - that's just how capitalism rolls.

Last edited:
It's why I'm increasingly convinced he's a bad engineer on an individual level and a bad model for engineering in general.
You don't have insight to say that about his engineering talents and anyways, are wrong about it. Twitter/X has nothing to do with engineering.

Weren’t there some plans long ago to have clamshell enclosures protect booster nozzles?
Maybe, but the SpaceX team solved it for F9 by having and entry burn so that seems more likely.

There was no entry burn
Yes the current SH doesn't have enough performance margin for an entry burn. I'm talking about development down the road. An entry burn as performed by F9 seems more likely than aero covers that fold down over the engines.

Yes the current SH doesn't have enough performance margin for an entry burn. I'm talking about development down the road. An entry burn as performed by F9 seems more likely than aero covers that fold down over the engines.
Huh? It isn't because of "lack of margin". It doesn't do an entry burn because it doesn't need one. The base of SH is designed to handle the thermal environment of entry (without clam shells), unlike F9 which requires an entry burn. There is no point to add either an entry burn or clam shells if you don't need them.

The Raptor 3s don’t have a mess of spaghetti on the outside, so that helps.

Any detailed pics of the engine compartment post re-entry?

Elon is not about making money. He is about making things, and he is very good at that. He is a combination of Howard Hughes, Henry Ford and Tony Stark (all of them eccentric geniuses).
Great Men, (and Elon is both an ass and a great man), attract passionate adoration and passionate hatred. I can't figure out how he even sleeps at night while balancing Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company, Optimus, Power Wall, Starlink, and who knows what else.
All this while procreating at a furious rate and inserting himself into national and international politics. And I believe I read that he is autistic.
I've said before, I think he is an alien.
Hello Titus, you *do* realize though that Tony Stark is *not* an actual historic person though, but rather merely a screenplay character, right? Also, at least to me it's quite clear that The Boring Company is quite literally simply a *dig* (see what Musk did there?) at the Boeing Company, and so far its accomplishments seem to be shall we say less than stellar (but the again, for an outfit that specializes in burrowing underground that is probably par for the course). Shockingly, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boring_Company, Tunnelling Journal (who knew such a publication even existed!) dismissed the company as a "vanity project"...

Last edited:
Recently, the US had a president that allegedly thought PNG was still full of cannibals... Well, here is the proof: corporate ones* ;)

*but not really from there

Do some one know more about this ?
Just found 3 relevant PDF on the FCC's website, they are letters from SpaceX to the FCC.

May 31, 2024,

October 2, 2024,

October 17, 2024,

EDIT: New find,

May 18, 2023 opposition letter from Omnispace,

EDIT 2:

November 24, 2023 from SpaceX to the FCC,

Last edited:
View: https://x.com/rookisaacman/status/1847727600346812879

Uploading some videos from Polaris Dawn.

This first one shows a view over the Middle East through both of Dragon’s side windows, along w/ some ominous-sounding words from the flight surgeon as @annawmenon & @KiddPoteet snake an endoscope up their noses in the name of science.

View: https://twitter.com/rookisaacman/status/1847728040362856911

Australia is always pretty easy to spot and looks amazing.

View: https://x.com/rookisaacman/status/1847728831810900461

This is a vid of life inside Dragon. We just finished searching for cables in the lower section where we store the suits, @Gillis_SarahE and @annawmenon were prepping for the ONS ultrasound to image our optic nerves, tunes jamming and the @EmbryRiddle LLAMAS camera recording.

View: https://twitter.com/rookisaacman/status/1847729446541021191

And here we have @KiddPoteet doing some photography before we film @Gillis_SarahE playing the violin to support @StJude & @ElSistemaUSA and transmit the footage over @Starlink

You don't have insight to say that about his engineering talents and anyways, are wrong about it. Twitter/X has nothing to do with engineering.
Unfortunately, yes, it does.

Engineering isn't simply about technical ability (and what I read of Musk at Twitter did nothing to reassure me about that either), it's also about ethics and how you affect the perception of the engineering profession as a whole. In fact engineering competence is only one of seven attributes the Institute of Civil Engineers identifies for professional level membership - my father was CEng MICE*, so it's the one I have greatest familiarity with, but the other engineering institutions will have similar.

Amongst the subheadings in those attributes:

Commercial Ability
  • Demonstrate sound judgement on statutory, contractual and commercial issues in relation to own area of responsibility
Confronting applicable legislation in multiple legal jurisdictions and refusing to comply doesn't present a responsible image for engineering or good management practise in general. See also the restrictions placed on his leadership of Tesla by the US SEC based on his irresponsible behaviour on Twitter affecting its share price.

Health and Safety:
  • Demonstrate a sound knowledge of legislation, hazards and safe systems of work
  • Demonstrate leadership by promoting good practice and improvements in health, safety and welfare
It's extremely questionable whether Musk's leadership at Tesla meets those requirements, particularly his claims around autonomous control and the actual reality. And see again sound judgement on statutory issues.

Interpersonal Skills and Development
  • Proactively manage diversity and inclusion
Getting into a public spat with one of your employees over their reasonable adjustments for disability, and actively mocking them for them, then blaming others, really doesn't speak for any sort of understanding of diversity or the appropriate behaviour around it. Similarly sacking workers for speaking out about sexual harassment at Space X.

Ethics
  • Understand the ethical issues that may arise in their role and carry out their responsibilities in an ethical manner
  • Identify the limits of their personal knowledge and skills
Sacking 80% of the online safety team at Twitter and leaving child abuse safety tools turned off for months don't speak to a deep understanding of ethical behaviour. Nor do apparent sackings just for disagreeing with him - remember, this is precisely the sort of management behaviour that's caused the issues at Boeing.

And that, IMO, adds up to Musk being both a bad engineer at the individual level and bad for the image of engineering as a whole.

* Equivalent to the US PE

Unfortunately, yes, it does.

Engineering isn't simply about technical ability (and what I read of Musk at Twitter did nothing to reassure me about that either), it's also about ethics and how you affect the perception of the engineering profession as a whole. In fact engineering competence is only one of seven attributes the Institute of Civil Engineers identifies for professional level membership - my father was CEng MICE*, so it's the one I have greatest familiarity with, but the other engineering institutions will have similar.

Amongst the subheadings in those attributes:

Commercial Ability
  • Demonstrate sound judgement on statutory, contractual and commercial issues in relation to own area of responsibility
Confronting applicable legislation in multiple legal jurisdictions and refusing to comply doesn't present a responsible image for engineering or good management practise in general. See also the restrictions placed on his leadership of Tesla by the US SEC based on his irresponsible behaviour on Twitter affecting its share price.

Health and Safety:
  • Demonstrate a sound knowledge of legislation, hazards and safe systems of work
  • Demonstrate leadership by promoting good practice and improvements in health, safety and welfare
It's extremely questionable whether Musk's leadership at Tesla meets those requirements, particularly his claims around autonomous control and the actual reality. And see again sound judgement on statutory issues.

Interpersonal Skills and Development
  • Proactively manage diversity and inclusion
Getting into a public spat with one of your employees over their reasonable adjustments for disability, and actively mocking them for them, then blaming others, really doesn't speak for any sort of understanding of diversity or the appropriate behaviour around it. Similarly sacking workers for speaking out about sexual harassment at Space X.

Ethics
  • Understand the ethical issues that may arise in their role and carry out their responsibilities in an ethical manner
  • Identify the limits of their personal knowledge and skills
Sacking 80% of the online safety team at Twitter and leaving child abuse safety tools turned off for months don't speak to a deep understanding of ethical behaviour. Nor do apparent sackings just for disagreeing with him - remember, this is precisely the sort of management behaviour that's caused the issues at Boeing.

And that, IMO, adds up to Musk being both a bad engineer at the individual level and bad for the image of engineering as a whole.

* Equivalent to the US PE
Wrong again. Actions as a CEO or a person has nothing to with engineering. Also, having a PE certficate does not guarantee one is a good engineer. Bad persons can be good engineers.

Wrong again. Actions as a CEO or a person has nothing to with engineering. Also, having a PE certficate does not guarantee one is a good engineer. Bad persons can be good engineers.
Musk is perceived as an engineer, ergo...

These are the grounds I judge engineers on, you can disagree, but 'Wrong' doesn't address the issue, in fact you seem to be saying you accept the issues, just claim they don't relate to engineers - whereas ICE specifically relates them to leadership roles.

...The Boring Company is quite literally simply a *dig* (see what Musk did there?) at the Boeing Company, and so far its accomplishments seem to be shall we say less than stellar (but the again, for an outfit that specializes in burrowing underground that is probably par for the course). Shockingly, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boring_Company, Tunnelling Journal (who knew such a publication even existed!) dismissed the company as a "vanity project"...

I'm sure I read somewhere that the whole Boring Company thing was just an elaborate stunt to 'derail' (pun most definitely intended) the most recent California high speed rail project, which if completed, Musk believed, would lead to reduced sales for Tesla vehicles . . .

cheers,
Robin.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the whole Boring Company thing was just an elaborate stunt to 'derail' (pun most definitely intended) the most recent California high speed rail project, which if completed, Musk believed, would lead to reduced sales for Tesla vehicles . . .
Musk said as much in an interview with Ashlee Vance, his biographer:

Musk told me that the idea originated out of his hatred for California’s proposed high-speed rail system. … He insisted the Hyperloop would cost about $6 billion to $10 billion, go faster than a plane, and let people drive their cars onto a pod and drive out into a new city. At the time, it seemed that Musk had dished out the Hyperloop proposal just to make the public and legislators rethink the high-speed train. He didn’t actually intend to build the thing. … With any luck, the high-speed rail would be canceled. Musk said as much to me during a series of e-mails and phone calls leading up to the announcement.
See here for background.

Musk said as much in an interview with Ashlee Vance, his biographer:

See here for background.
Sounds about right for that douchebag slimeball (or is it slimeball douchebag? I never know whether there's a linguistically preferred order here...).

Elon Musk say he has the Asperger Syndrom
but looking into his life and what happen to him during childhood.
i think he has Complex post-traumatic stress disorder

some of symptoms:
borderline personality disorder
Behavioral control problems
Hyperactivity

Now this Hyperactivity can in some cases put the brain in overdrive, pushing the victim to genius level.
Allot people mistake this form of CPTSD as Asperger Syndrom.

If that the case, Elon Musk build out the ashes from his childhood, a billion dollar Imperium and enter the history books !

I'm surprised that the hot-stage ring is still intact, I'd have thought it would've been smashed on impact with the sea.