M270 MLRS and M142 HIMARS Developments

https://defence-industry.eu/u-s-denies-sale-of-prsm-and-er-gmlrs-missiles-to-norway/

Norway has requested to buy PrSM as well as GMLRS-ER for their 16 new M142 HIMARS. The US at this time is not approving their sale - other websites are stating the sale is not approved because the munitions are too new and the US will not have sufficient stockpile for sometime.

IF that's true, it further exemplifies the need for all HIMARS style launchers to share a common launcher interface so you can build your own missiles locally or use competitors products. Being tied to one manufacturers missiles and being told oh no you can't buy any of the extended range munitions is a good way for that manufacturer to loose their market share.

"Beaumont noted that MBDA has just finished the concept stage for LPS under contract to DE&S and is currently awaiting approval to move into an assessment and development phase with the weapon."

Given how well the Ukrainians have been using ground-launched Brimstones (Originally an air-launched weapon) in Ukraine I'd say that the British army will get behind this. On another note I wonder if a ground-launched version of the SPEAR 3 will be developed and deployed from the M270 and M142?

Given how well the Ukrainians have been using ground-launched Brimstones (Originally an air-launched weapon) in Ukraine I'd say that the British army will get behind this. On another note I wonder if a ground-launched version of the SPEAR 3 will be developed and deployed from the M270 and M142?
I think thats what they call LPS ^^
I mean yeah its a bit more but probaly the closest we get next to some form of Barracuda M (i believe atleast that Andruil will make a prototyp sometimes)

Brimstone is already on the cards for deployment by the British Army under the BGOAA - MCCO/LFO programme. A couple of potential launchers...Boxer, ARES variant, Themis UGV or the Supacat Coyote with 8 round launcher. It looks like Supacat are in the lead so far for LFO, with Boxer for MCCO. Which makes sense to a degree....but sticking everything on Boxer is a very expensive way of doing things...

I suspect it will take a while though and Poland will likely deploy Brimstone on their tank destroyers before we deploy it.

Ground launched Spear (not SPEAR 3 thats the MoD programme name) now appears to be on the cards as the missile used for Land Precision Strike (LPS). Originally this was a CAMM/Brimstone mashup (it looked like CAMM but was in fact 178mm rather than 166mm) with a range of at least 80km. This missile was to be fired from M270A2 and Land Ceptor batteries (and by default Sea Ceptor as a result). But last year MBDA appear to have switched to a rocket boosted 'Spear-ER'. Basically a Spear that is 3m long, rather than c1.6m long and a rocket booster to get it to speed and altitude and different wing. We know little about it at present, apart from the fact its based on Spear, has a range of at least 150km and will be packed 6 per pod on M270A2. But....my guess is that range will be far in excess of 150km...Spear in air launched guise will have a range of at least 200km. The ground launched version has over twice the space for fuel and warhead. I suspect that it will have the larger warhead proposed for SpearGlide (c40kg) and more fuel occupying the remainder of the space. It 'could' have a range of 300km+...

A lot will depend on the Defence Review...

Ground launched Spear is a great idea, and I'm definitely in favour....but the CAMM/Brimstone mashup is now unlikely to go ahead, which is a real shame as its potential across the Army, Navy and Air Force was enormous, particularly with its ability to be fired from Land Ceptor and Sea Ceptor. The 'GL Spear-ER' proposal for LPS unfortunately will be a hot launch so not suitable for Land or Sea Ceptor batteries....but....it could also be adapted to air launch....you could get 2 in each F-35 bay for example (obviously minus rocket booster).

It's a real pity we're not doing both...can't imagine the CAMM/Brimstone version would cost that much to do at all...

Enough with these sort of videos. The thread is supposed to be about developments with the system not just videos of them in use.
I agree. That adds no relevant information to the topic.

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom