Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

Defense News also learned last week the initial investigation into the Dec. 15 mishap, conducted by Naval Air Systems Command with JPO’s support, found a tube used to transfer high-pressure fuel in the fighter’s engine had failed. This discovery prompted the JPO to update its safety risk assessments for a small number of fighters

Has F-35 technically entered full rate production at this point? I don't remember an annoucement, but it would seem odd not to call its current cadence "full rate".
What definition is the manufacturer/client using for full rate production such these kinds of numbers are considered "full rate"? Are they waiting for Blk 4 to enter production before declaring it full rate?
As others have pointed out Milestone C is required before going FRP and currently JSE is the biggest issue. Besides, some on Capito Hill are pitching the idea of waiting for the Block 4. As for the rate of production itself, FRP is aiming for over 200 aircrafts a year. Currently it's sitting on mid 100s

M-C and approval to proceed into the next phase is unlikely to effect the production rate in the short to medium term. Lockheed said as much last year. The current rate is a function of its supply chain constraints, DOD budgets and the ongoing modernization. What M-C will allow is the first DOD MYP but that will probably also have to wait for block 4 to fully mature so towards the latter half of the decade (my guess).

M-C and approval to proceed into the next phase is unlikely to effect the production rate in the short to medium term. Lockheed said as much last year. The current rate is a function of its supply chain constraints, DOD budgets and the ongoing modernization. What M-C will allow is the first DOD MYP but that will probably also have to wait for block 4 to fully mature so towards the latter half of the decade (my guess).
Yup. Under revised plans Block 4 wouldn't be ready at least until 2029 so I think it's a reasonable development. The numbers I've mentioned (over 200 a year) is purely a mid- to long-term goal by the JPO and LM.

Last edited:
To further clarify a bit more about F-35 M-C to those who are still a bit puzzled, it is because the current phase of the JSF program, the IOT&E is technically a part of SDD phase (an EMD equivalent from the ATF program), although the program itself transited from SDD to IOT&E phase back in 2018.

Due to the complexity of F-35 and its underlying systems, some of its capabilities are to be verified/certified on a virtual, highly sophisticated computed environment called the JSE. Development and construction of the JSE itself as well as integrating the F-35 model to the JSE have been delayed up until now for various reasons, some discussed on this thread earlier. In short, JSE is a critical component of the JSF IOT&E campaign so a delay in JSE means delay in IOT&E and a delay in IOT&E means delay in conclusion of SDD (development of F-35). Without a conclusion of SDD, JPO cannot declare M-C for the JSF program and without M-C it cannot enter FRP.

Apart from that, as I've mentioned before, both the Capitol Hill and the AF are more keen on waiting for Block 4 (no one want to pay extra dollars to pay for retrofitting brand new aircrafts) as well as further observing F-35 procurement and sustainment cost trend (LM says it will go down, it is going down but no one knows if it'll go down enough. Also recently they've hinted that the numbers will temporarily go up due to supply chain disruption and reduced procurement by USAF). We'll get a better picture once we reach the mid 2020s, the point on which LM claimed the F-35 will reach the short-term sustainment cost reduction goals. Don't be surprised if USAF again touts the idea of MR-F in a few years if LM cannot.

I just can't get enough of them. This is the Superbug + F-35 done right... can't help thinking this is the stealth bird the USN should have created after NATF kick the bucket (CALF or JAST, whatever the accronym). But I digress.

Same here Archibald I too cannot get enough of them either, further to your question relating to the CALF and JAST the CALF was the Air Force project the Common Affordable Lightweight Fighter which was amalgamated into the JAST the Joint Advanced Strike Technology program which was then changed into the Joint Strike Fighter and the rest as they say is history.
Don't forget the merging of ASTOVL, which led to the biggest problem (F-35B and its problems) in the JSF program during 2000s in retrospect.

Yup. Under revised plans Block 4 wouldn't be ready at least until 2029 so I think it's a reasonable development. The numbers I've mentioned (over 200 a year) is purely a mid- to long-term goal by the JPO and LM.
But the last of the hardware changes for Block 4 are coming with Lot 17 in two or so years, after that it's just continual software updates for Block 4. If you ask me it makes the most sense to increase production rates as soon as Lot 17 or later is available. Because there won't need to be any retrofits, the aircraft will be full Block 4 hardware standard off the line. They'll have Block 4 software too (I believe every aircraft starting with the TR-3 jets this summer will off the line), just not the final versions of the software.

But the last of the hardware changes for Block 4 are coming with Lot 17 in two or so years, after that it's just continual software updates for Block 4. If you ask me it makes the most sense to increase production rates as soon as Lot 17 or later is available. Because there won't need to be any retrofits, the aircraft will be full Block 4 hardware standard off the line. They'll have Block 4 software too (I believe every aircraft starting with the TR-3 jets this summer will off the line), just not the final versions of the software.
Yup. TR-3 will be implemented starting lot 15. Problem is that C2D2 software implementation is, imo, at least half or more the entire Block 4 program. I'm not sure if the plans to get all Block 4 hardware implementation by lot 17 is still the plan, for which I cannot comment upon, but even if that's the case I'd think that the AF/JPO and CH will all want to know which direction the AETP will proceed since it is also integral in providing Block 4 capabilities their required power and cooling.

Just to be sure everyone's getting the same picture, here are two diagrams that could help understanding current C2D2 developments and different F-35 versions.

Attachments

• f-35 c2d2.png
    f-35 c2d2.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 45
  • f-35 development phase and ICP versions.png
    f-35 development phase and ICP versions.png
    295.1 KB · Views: 50

Yup. TR-3 will be implemented starting lot 15. Problem is that C2D2 software implementation is, imo, at least half or more the entire Block 4 program. I'm not sure if the plans to get all Block 4 hardware implementation by lot 17 is still the plan, for which I cannot comment upon, but even if that's the case I'd think that the AF/JPO and CH will all want to know which direction the AETP will proceed since it is also integral in providing Block 4 capabilities their required power and cooling.
Sure, the Block 4 software from C2D2 is a core part of the Block 4 program. It's what makes it all work. But software is basically free to retrofit on to existing airframes. As a result I personally don't see a reason to hold off on airframe orders once last of the hardware changes are in for Block 4 (i.e. Lot 17 and after). And as far as I can tell Lot 17 is still planned to be the last of the Block 4 hardware changes. Even the new AN/APG-85 radar we didn't even know about until just now is supposedly planned for Lot 17 aircraft.

Comments from Josh 'Cabo' Gunderson, F-22 pilot
Q. Can you kill an F-35 BVR or do you need to merge:
A. You don’t necessarily need to wait for the merge to kill an F-35, there are ways the F-22 can use to kill it pre merge
(although later he mentions that most of his fights with the F-35 are WVR)
Q. Have you fought the F-35, is it a pig as some say or an F-16 w/ F/A-18 AoA.
A. The F-35 is really configured for a different mission set where as the F-22 is tailor made for air to air so its really a different beast, the F-35 does have some pretty good sensors but as for the F-16 w/ F/A-18 AoA, I really can’t comment on that.
Source

Canada signs up for 88 F-35A

Canada Announces the Procurement of the F-35 Lightning II

January 09, 2023

The Government of Canada announced today it is procuring Lockheed Martin’s 5th Generation F-35 Lightning II aircraft as a result of the Future Fighter Capability Project competition.
The Royal Canadian Air Force will receive 88 F-35A multirole stealth fighters, a sustainment solution tailored to Canada’s sovereign requirements and a comprehensive training program.
“Canada is our friend and a close ally. Their decision to procure almost 90 jets underscores the value of the incredible F-35 Lightning II,” said U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen. Mike Schmidt, program executive officer, F-35 Joint Program Office. “The F-35 is the best in the world, providing unmatched interoperability to America, Canada and the additional 15 nations that have selected the fighter. It is a global game-changer. Through power-projection, the F-35 is at the tip of the spear for deterrence. Its forward presence will continue to ensure that potential adversaries choose diplomacy over armed conflict.”
“We are honored the Government of Canada has selected the F-35, and we look forward to continuing our partnership with the Royal Canadian Air Force and the Canadian defence industry to deliver and sustain the aircraft,” said Bridget Lauderdale, Lockheed Martin’s vice president and general manager of the F-35 program. “The selection of F-35 strengthens allied airpower in Canada, North America and around the world.”
The F-35 strengthens Canada’s operational capability with its allies as a cornerstone for interoperability with NORAD and NATO. As a critical node in the 21st Century Security mission space, the F-35 gives pilots an advantage against any adversary and enabling them to execute their mission and come home safe.
“Together with our Canadian industry partners, we are honoured by this selection and the sustainment of critical jobs that will continue to equip Canadian workforces with advanced skills,” said Lorraine Ben, chief executive, Lockheed Martin Canada. “The F-35 program yields tremendous economic benefits for Canada’s aerospace and defence industry, and we look forward to continued growth.”
To date, the F-35 operates from 27 bases worldwide, with nine nations operating F-35s on their home soil. There are more than 890 F-35s in service today, with more than 1,870 pilots and 13,500 maintainers trained on the aircraft.

That program is a steamroller. Achieving what the F-104 and F-16 did back in their days, except even faster.

Looks like, that the F-35 for the RCAF will get the same housing for the brake chute on the top fuselage, just like as on the F-35 for the Royal Norwegian Air Force.

Looks like, that the F-35 for the RCAF will get the same housing for the brake chute on the top fuselage, just like as on the F-35 for the Royal Norwegian Air Force.

I wonder if it would be useful / feasible to attach a weapon pod with a trapeze launcher for a SRAAM in place of the drag chute pod.

That program is a steamroller. Achieving what the F-104 and F-16 did back in their days, except even faster.

Only 5th gen game in town for most countries, plus really not appreciably more expensive than 4.5 gen. Not really much room for competition. At this point what is it, like a dozen users and several more signed contracts?

I wonder if it would be useful / feasible to attach a weapon pod with a trapeze launcher for a SRAAM in place of the drag chute pod.

Why wouldn’t it just be wing mounted? RCAF rarely needs to run dark.

Why wouldn’t it just be wing mounted? RCAF rarely needs to run dark.

I was not specifically referring to RCAF. Rather as an optional feature, like the drag chute.

what are the repercussions for Canada for leaving the F-35 program, then re-joining it?
For one, they will receive their planes much later than had they stayed, but any others? such as costs, etc?

what are the repercussions for Canada for leaving the F-35 program, then re-joining it?
For one, they will receive their planes much later than had they stayed, but any others? such as costs, etc?
They didn't officially leave the F-35 program as far as I know. Pretty sure they kept up the needed payments the entire time that they were going through their fighter replacement saga. They seem to be getting them on the same timeline as everyone else. Germany signed their deal last month and will get their first jets in 2026, same year as Canada.

Article notes that Lockheed is "on-track to deliver [TR-3] capability to the U.S. and its allies starting in 2023." That matches with the original plan of the first production TR-3 jets being delivered in July, but also doesn't contradict that Bloomberg article that claimed there was going to be a several month delay past July for the first production TR-3 jet deliveries. I've still yet to see that claim repeated outside that Bloomberg article so will be interesting to see how it actually shakes out.

They didn't officially leave the F-35 program as far as I know. Pretty sure they kept up the needed payments the entire time that they were going through their fighter replacement saga. They seem to be getting them on the same timeline as everyone else. Germany signed their deal last month and will get their first jets in 2026, same year as Canada.
Correct, they never actually left and are still one of the Partner nations as opposed to the likes of Finland and Germany who are FMS customers.

The plan is to retrofit most, if not all, exisiting jets to TR3 standard as well.

The plan is to retrofit most, if not all, exisiting jets to TR3 standard as well.
Specifically, the USAF plans to have Lot 5 to 10 aircraft retrofitted to Lot 15 standard and Lot 11 to 16 aircraft retrofitted to Lot 17 standard. The USN will do the same but also retrofitted Lot 4 aircraft to Lot 15 standard. I'm unsure what the USMC's plans are, but I'd guess there will be roughly 50 F-35s of all types that don't end up getting upgraded. They will most likely end up in training and adversary roles.

I am not sure that there is such urgency for the upgrade. I am pretty sure that current F-35 match the current threat.

I would be pretty satisfied if assets get focused mainly into increasing manufacturing outputs. Then, they probably have a decade for the move.

Uncle Sam brutal efficiency. Selling scores of F-35s according to different formulas.

Uncle Sam brutal efficiency. Selling scores of F-35s according to different formulas.
To be fair, how many major weapons systems, especially current generation aircraft, were ever so widely delivered across the globe? A lot of countries have very different relationships and price schemes with the US, from UK to Finland to Israel to Singapore. Those are vastly different relationships.

I am not sure that there is such urgency for the upgrade. I am pretty sure that current F-35 match the current threat.

I would be pretty satisfied if assets get focused mainly into increasing manufacturing outputs. Then, they probably have a decade for the move.
The two largest buyers - USAF and International partners - would disagree. The former wants the upgraded performance and weapons that are promised with block 4, and the latter wants its own weapons integrated on the platform. All customers want to avoid having to buy TR-2 hardware and then pay millions down the road in upgrade costs. The urgency to upgrade is partly because of the want to avoid having to integrate weapons badly needed now and in the near term with the older hardware. LRASM/JASSM comes with Block 4 but imagine if you also had to integrate this with TR-2 hardware.