Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

Something serious... ;)

Image_17-12-2022_at_3.26_am.jpeg

Wait, wait, that ugly sweater thing is an international day ? Okaaaaaay, I was wondering about my work having that competition yesterday...
Long story short, I'm working as a logistic clerk at a chemical lab & company. Young people, straight out of the chem university nearby. Young, fresh, innocent, very open minded - a much appreciated change for my previous logistics jobs, whatever.
And this was my entry. Took an old, battered sweater; one monkey plush toy from my kid; latched it on the sweater, and then put christmas things on it.
It made all the cute and smart chicks (and there a dozen of truly stunning beauties there) hysterical. Was a very good day.

Attachments

• 320569739_828270251806113_124876851363031271_n.jpg
    320569739_828270251806113_124876851363031271_n.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 16
My theory is the impact disengaged the clutch (or maybe it disengages automatically) greatly reducing the load on the engine, resulting in low/no thrust up front, and increased thrust aft, flipping the aircraft. It might have survived the bump. It was the flip that was the problem.

I agree with you that it seems there was an unbalanced thrust b/w lift fan and at the nozzle but I think it's a software problem: once the pilot ejected, the engine cut, not before.
That might also explain why thrust was not cut with weight on wheels and the subsequent powered rebound.

Last edited:
It was an inspection flight:

The pilot is an airman who was performing quality checks on behalf of the Defense Contract Management Agency, Matthew Montgomery, an agency spokesman, told Marine Corps Times Friday.
[...]
Lockheed Martin hadn’t yet transferred the jet to the U.S. military, according to Jacqueline Lorenzetti, a Lockheed spokeswoman.

Glad to hear the pilot is ok. Ejections are typically pretty brutal.

You wonder though if they're going to adjust the ejection 'profile' for the F-35B, especially when it's hovering. As noted above, the pilot ended up landing not very far from the aircraft, if it had been on fire it could have been a very different outcome.

They have to rebuild all the infrastructure, for the mission which is nuclear. And Germany wants some local work flow too. That explains much of the discrepancies with other European sales.

The German tranche and its costs

One equipped aircraft with trained personnel accounts for: 242 857 142 $

3 AIM-120C-8 AMRAAM (>1.97 million$) 5.91
2.14 AIM-9X Block II+ (>0.604 million $) 1.3
2.14 AGM-158B/B2 JASSM ER (>1.04 million$) 2.23
5.14 GBU-31 JDAM 2000 pounds (> 25,000 $) 0.13
7.03 GBU-54 Laser JDAM 500 pounds (> ? million$) 0.18
9.83 GBU-53 SDB-II 250 pounds (>129 000.$) 1.27

weapons per aircraft: $11 million

2.15 pilots 5 million $ * 2.15 = 11 million$
16.2 technicians 54,000 $ * 16.2 = 0.875 million$
spare parts 20 million$

Lockheed Martin F-35A Lightning II $ 200 million / piece
export margin 35%
the cost of the machine for the US Air Force is $ 130 million / piece
F135 engine $ 50 million / piece

make edits
Source(s) please

Glad to hear the pilot is ok. Ejections are typically pretty brutal.

You wonder though if they're going to adjust the ejection 'profile' for the F-35B, especially when it's hovering. As noted above, the pilot ended up landing not very far from the aircraft, if it had been on fire it could have been a very different outcome.

Didn't pay much attention to the video title.

I find the quality and content interesting.

Last edited:
oh. my that's big news!
looking forward to the details on why GE was chosen over PW, as right now, there's scant detail

There is a 3rd option besides the GE XA100 or the P&W F135 ECU. Don’t forget the P&W XA101 adaptive engine, which apparently has demonstrated that it meets the goals of the AETP program, same as the XA100. If the F-35 program decides to go with the adaptive option, it is not a forgone conclusion that GE wins.

oh. my that's big news!
looking forward to the details on why GE was chosen over PW, as right now, there's scant detail
It wasn't chosen over P&W's F135 EEP. This is just a "technology maturation and risk reduction" contract for XA100. P&W won one for F135 EEP a little bit ago as well. The Air Force still hasn't picked a winner for the F-35 engine replacement.

oh. my that's big news!
It wasn't chosen over P&W's F135 EEP. This is just a "technology maturation and risk reduction" contract for XA100. P&W won one for F135 EEP a little bit ago as well. The Air Force still hasn't picked a winner for the F-35 engine replacement.
Remember also that introducing a new engine isn't a small undertaking given the global sustainment solution already established by P&W.

Has F-35 technically entered full rate production at this point? I don't remember an annoucement, but it would seem odd not to call its current cadence "full rate".

Has F-35 technically entered full rate production at this point? I don't remember an annoucement, but it would seem odd not to call its current cadence "full rate".
Technically not though from a numbers game it is hardly consequential given the quantities in the LRIPs now.

Technically not though from a numbers game it is hardly consequential given the quantities in the LRIPs now.
What definition is the manufacturer/client using for full rate production such these kinds of numbers are considered "full rate"? Are they waiting for Blk 4 to enter production before declaring it full rate?

What definition is the manufacturer/client using for full rate production such these kinds of numbers are considered "full rate"? Are they waiting for Blk 4 to enter production before declaring it full rate?
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe it requires "Milestone C Approval" IAW 10 USC § 4172(e)(8)

The last hold-up is a simulator called the Joint Simulation Environment. It's an incredibly highly detailed simulation that can be used to test the F-35 against top of the line foreign threats. It's been delayed for years unfortunately. The F-35 just needs to pass a number of tests with the JSE once it's operational. Assuming the F-35 does pass the required tests the F-35 can proceed to "Milestone C" and FRP. Last I heard the earliest they will be able to do the tests in the JSE is this summer, and that's assuming no delays in the last year or so. If they keep that schedule I'd guess FRP would by by the end of the calendar year. Probably will be delayed though.