LGM-35A Sentinel - Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD) program

I wonder if you have seen official renderings and patches?

I have seen the official renderings however I understand that isn't the definitive appearance so that's why I'm asking as there doesn't appear to be much information available concerning the rocket-motors that will be used in the booster-stack.

What makes you think that this is not a 'definitive appearance'?

I don't see any connection. It's like "B-21 official rendering was released in 2015, but I haven't seen any official scale models or ground engine runs vids, so it's not defenitive" in mid-2022.
More, NG has published SRM tests photos.

Attachments

• af-sentinel-e1678297747139-837x400.jpg
    af-sentinel-e1678297747139-837x400.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
More, NG has published SRM tests photos.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of those photos.

As for the drawing it's something that resembles a Minuteman I/II and doesn't seem definitive to me.

Edit: That photograph doesn't really show any details of the actual rocket-motor as it's obscured by the test-stand's structure.

Last edited:
It seems particularly foolish to step the rocket like that. Puts a very sharp limit on the bulk of what you can launch, regardless of the weight of the items.

For example, I doubt that a GBSD could carry more than 1 strategic HGV, while something like Trident could probably carry 3 or 4.

It also means that GBSD will never pack more than ~3x MIRVs/MaRVs.

It seems particularly foolish to step the rocket like that. Puts a very sharp limit on the bulk of what you can launch, regardless of the weight of the items.

The other thing with having a constant diameter booster-stack is that it's aerodynamically cleaner and structurally more efficient.

Wouldn't be surprised if they reduced it to cut corners costs.
Given the accuracy of modern ICBMs, hardening the silos to the thousands or tens of thousands psi range is pointless and an entirely wasted expense. Hard Rock Silos were deemed a wasted investment with limited future viability even during the latter half of the Cold War.

Given the accuracy of modern ICBMs, hardening the silos to the thousands or tens of thousands psi range is pointless and an entirely wasted expense. Hard Rock Silos were deemed a wasted investment with limited future viability even during the latter half of the Cold War.
Most ICBMs still aren't using terminally guided warheads so that's not necessarily true at all. And why make it easy for them? If you're so worried about it make them mobile. Oh, right, there's some physical law of the universe that says mobile ICBMs don't work in the US, unlike well, everywhere else on the planet that has ICBMs.

Most ICBMs still aren't using terminally guided warheads so that's not necessarily true at all. And why make it easy for them? If you're so worried about it make them mobile. Oh, right, there's some physical law of the universe that says mobile ICBMs don't work in the US, unlike well, everywhere else on the planet that has ICBMs.
I'd happily build something like MX MPS across most of the Midwest.

Given the massive budget blowout in the Sentinel programme it might make sense for the USAF to carve out the actual missile part of the programme, the LGM-35A itself, and segregate the funds so it isn't effected by it.

Given the massive budget blowout in the Sentinel programme it might make sense for the USAF to carve out the actual missile part of the programme, the LGM-35A itself, and segregate the funds so it isn't effected by it.
Would be interesting to know if the .gov was wagging its finger at NG for infrastructure issues. (Are they even over that? Thought that was BAE.)

Alex Hollings from Sandboxx has put out a video to do with the problems in fielding the MMIII replacement:

If replacing America's Minuteman III nuclear ICBMs was supposed to be the budget-friendly solution, it appears to have backfired, with the effort now projected to go at least 2 years behind schedule and at least 81% over budget.
But despite these historic cost overruns, the Pentagon has re-certified the new Sentinel ICBM program to continue, calling the effort essential to American national security.
So, let's talk about where these budget-busting costs are coming from, and the plan to overcome these challenges.

Yeah, it's called people not wanting nukes in their backyard or traveling through their states.

I'm thinking the US is its own worst enemy.
Parts of it sure are.