Drones and how to kill them?

Ukrainian forces intercepted a Russian drone's video downlink. The footage is reportedly from Nikopol (https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/47.5735/34.3913). The recording is available at:

I wonder what kind of FPV drone with missiles was portrayed in the vid.

And here, the video downlink of an FPV drone is being jammed in cycles:

Allegedly, Russian forces started to use AI-assisted kamikaze drones, which are still imperfect.

photo_2024-09-26_12-42-57.jpg photo_2024-09-26_12-43-07.jpg photo_2024-09-26_12-43-10.jpg photo_2024-09-26_12-43-02.jpg

Source:

For that kind of small UAV, it is actually feasible to use electromagnetic suppression, disrupt the communication of the drone, and for the kind of UAV that can destroy the tank, you can add an AI combat system, and it may be good to add an automatic turret to the tank. Of course, this is just a wild imagination

Oerlikon Skyranger at work in UA against UAVs.

At $22k per shot, these APKWS II rockets seem like the perfect off-the-shelf solution for drone and subsonic cruise missiles. That's cheaper than a Shahed suicide drone (sold to Russia for $193k per drone), cheaper than any cruise missile. Non-kinetic effectors like HPM and HEL will still be needed to get that cost per kill down to the several dollar range for the purpose of defeating swarms of super cheap quadcopters like we see in Ukraine. In the meantime, I don't understand why the US isn't going all-in on procuring these systems by the thousands, rockets by the tens of thousands.

At $22k per shot, these APKWS II rockets seem like the perfect off-the-shelf solution for drone and subsonic cruise missiles. That's cheaper than a Shahed suicide drone (sold to Russia for $193k per drone), cheaper than any cruise missile. Non-kinetic effectors like HPM and HEL will still be needed to get that cost per kill down to the several dollar range for the purpose of defeating swarms of super cheap quadcopters like we see in Ukraine. In the meantime, I don't understand why the US isn't going all-in on procuring these systems by the thousands, rockets by the tens of thousands.
APKWS is laser-guided, if you don't have good line of sight to the drone/missile the APKWS loses lock and doesn't hit.

What you need is LOGIR, which is primarily used by the South Koreans. Low cost Guided Infrared Rocket. Those can lock onto a drone or missile and stay on it.

I stand corrected. APKWS does have Imaging IR and proximity fuzing options now. (Kinda surprised that those got developed so quickly...)

Last edited:
APKWS is laser-guided, if you don't have good line of sight to the drone/missile the APKWS loses lock and doesn't hit.

What you need is LOGIR, which is primarily used by the South Koreans. Low cost Guided Infrared Rocket. Those can lock onto a drone or missile and stay on it.
APKWS has both IIR and proximity fuse options now.
Post #46
Post #54

There's also LCITS.
Post #44

Shahed now has IIR seeker to kill UAV?
What altitude can it fly at though?

In other news:

Last edited:
Last edited:

This looks like what a child would design with some action figures - just throw all your weapons systems on top of a stryker. I absolutely love it.

For all the DOD's talk of readiness (the Navy and the Airforce are delaying long-term modernization projects in favor of being ready to fight this decade), they seem to be dragging their feet in procuring both drones en masse and counter-drone systems in masse. The joint force won't be able to fight a peer adversary if they don't have these things very soon. This SHORAD stryker looks great - you have 4 different weapons systems to take out groups 1 and 2 UAS (maybe even group 3?). The weapons systems are mostly mature. The Stryker is available in numbers to take on new tasks, they aren't needed anymore for their original purpose. Just procure a few hundred of these now, please lord.

This looks like what a child would design with some action figures - just throw all your weapons systems on top of a stryker. I absolutely love it.
They're all mature systems and mostly complement each other. And when you need to put together a defense from anything from a couple pounds up to 1300lbs, you need a variety of systems to do the job.

View: https://x.com/AirPowerNEW1/status/1845791966446948393

View: https://x.com/BlueHalo/status/1845797958572224669

Last edited: