Defense against Hypersonic Glide Vehicles

Attachments

• MBDAaquila.jpg
    MBDAaquila.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Odd that the KKV doesn't have any aero surfaces, considering it's for HGV intercept.

Odd that the KKV doesn't have any aero surfaces, considering it's for HGV intercept.

It seems to me at the altitudes HGVs operate at, divert thrusters or thrust vectoring is a requirement. The interceptor is going to have to pull harder turns than the glider.

Last edited:
Where does the 300g come from? But I'll agree I'm surprised it wouldn't have both to expand the envelope.
That's generally quoted as being the g-force that HGVs can perform. Mentioned in various videos I've watched. I honestly thought a HGV interceptor would need both aerodynamic manoeuvrability and DACT.

That looks like a 24" booster, give or take.
Struck me as being the same 21" diameter as the Aster 30 but the second stage looks much wider.

HYDIS2 is entering the concept phase with “three multistage interceptor architectures,” Rainer Stockhammer, MBDA’s team leader for Twister, tells journalists on the second day of the Paris Air Show here. Two of the architectures to be studied are three-stage, one of which is air-breathing—possibly a ramjet like the Meteor air-to-air missile. The second is a conventional rocket-powered missile with a large booster, while the third is a two-stage weapon with booster. The program will examine and select one of these options for further development at the end of the study.

Looks like AQUILA is concept 2: Three-stage with a conventional booster.
Edit: According to the interview in the NavalNews video below, concept has a air-breathing second stage. So the booster/first-stage is conventional on all 3 designs.

Last edited:
What would the launcher be? It looks well over 20’/6m long.
The Aster 30 is ~4.9m long, this model appears slightly longer (assuming the guy is 6ft exactly). At a guess, I would say 533mm, 305mm and 254mm for the stage diameters and 5.5m long.

1687352867254.png

On retrospect the KKV does appear to have some kind of aero structures on the sides, which are more obvious in the image.

1687353535470.png

So according to this article TWISTER is the overarching flagship project led by PESCO, which has several projects linked to it, which includes the TWISTER effector as well as HYDEF and now even HYDIS? Or maybe it's more correct to understand that HYDIS now replaces the TWISTER effector segment. It's quite hard to follow, to be frank.

Bremen, June 30, 2023. A joint bidding consortium led by OHB System AG (a subsidiary of the space and technology group OHB SE) has been awarded a EUR 90 million grant from the European Commission for the ODIN'S EYE II project, which is being implemented under the European Defence Fund and is aimed at developing a European multinational space-based early warning and tracking system for ballistic missiles. The industrial consortium consists of 38 companies from 14 European member states, including Airbus Defence and Space, Thales Alenia Space, Leonardo and the ArianeGroup.
OHB System is already responsible for collecting and harmonizing the requirements, for the system of systems architecture and for the individual components of the space segment as part of ODIN'S EYE I. In the ODIN'S EYE II project, which will commence in parallel in the near future, OHB will now also be responsible for defining, developing, integrating and verifying the entire mission and system simulator. OHB Digital Connect and OHB Hellas are also part of the industrial team and are responsible for the ground segment and data analysis as well as on-board processing.
[...]
OHB System is also a member of two further industrial consortia which have now also received financial support under the European Defend Fund. The two projects REACTS and SPIDER are also aimed at establishing a responsive infrastructure.
Description of the EDF project:
ODIN’s EYE II contributes to the further development of a European space-based missile early warning
(SBMEW) architecture initiated under EDIDP. The target system addresses timely warning, technical
intelligence, missile defence systems against ballistic, hypersonic and anti-satellite (ASAT) threats as
well as proliferation control. The project will leverage and consolidate collaborative efforts by entities
from EU Member States in developing a common SBMEW capability to respond to the current and
future security threats. Related PESCO project: Timely Warning and Interception with Space-based
Theater Surveillance (TWISTER)

View: https://twitter.com/BoeingDefense/status/1701227796314345818?s=20
Assuming they don't f--k it up. Given the complete failure thus far I'm not holding my breath.

Assuming they don't f--k it up. Given the complete failure thus far I'm not holding my breath.
The Avanguard HGV is big enough that it takes most of a UR-100N's lift capacity for one. Makes the offense/defense math shift back to favor the defender. And we've had things like Sprint or HyBEX designed since the 1970s.

Meanwhile, the Missile Defense Agency plans to launch the Hypersonic and Ballistic Tracking Space Sensor mission into orbit later this year on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. This new sensor will have improved sensitivity to detect and track hypersonic missiles, which have lower heat signatures from their exhaust plumes than larger long-range ballistic missiles, making them more challenging to see with the military's existing missile tracking satellites.

Launch date is now NET 17th December 2023.

The summary is a little misleading in that they conclude gliders with a sufficiently high speed can effectively evade terminal defenses (to say nothing of area defenses, which are largely unworkable). Also they note the PAC3 missiles would be superior as terminal defense interceptors for Aegis. I think it would behoove the USN to introduce something with more divert than SM-2/6.

The summary is a little misleading in that they conclude gliders with a sufficiently high speed can effectively evade terminal defenses (to say nothing of area defenses, which are largely unworkable). Also they note the PAC3 missiles would be superior as terminal defense interceptors for Aegis. I think it would behoove the USN to introduce something with more divert than SM-2/6.
Or a divert version of SM-2/6.