Current Nuclear Weapons Development

Sandboxx has just put out a new YT video about the three new US nuclear weapons in development:

For the first time in decades, the United States now has at least three new nuclear weapons making their way toward service, including a new long-range air-launched nuclear cruise missile, a powerful new nuclear bomb, and the nation's first new ICBM — or intercontinental ballistic missile — since the 1970s.
But these aren't the only new nuclear weapons to emerge in recent years... And the truth is, America's global adversaries have a number of new weapons of their own.

It also talks a bit about the Russian and PRC nuclear arsenals too. Actual US weapon discussions begin at 13:11 into the video.

It’s the US’s fault like always
For 42 years it’s the same story.

I remember in 1981 at a much younger age listening to the news and hearing that the US was building new nuclear weapons and the whole world was at risk. Soviet leaders and arms controllers would echo “the USSR only wants peace but if the US builds these dangerous weapons we will be forced to protect ourselves”

I ran to the public library to do research and found out about the massive Soviet arsenals of heavy ICBMs whose throw weight and warhead count dwarfed ours thinking “why is the media being so misleading?” Naive wasn’t I?

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Yes with a Gt nuke developed by a US/UK nuke lab collaboration under the new Earth Defense Network
Time would be the killer. And we'd probably have to beg for materials from Russia and China. Hell, we'd probably have to beg them to build it too. And if it was scheduled to hit the Western Hemisphere would they do it?

Time would be the killer. And we'd probably have to beg for materials from Russia and China. Hell, we'd probably have to beg them to build it too. And if it was scheduled to hit the Western Hemisphere would they do it?

Why to all those statements? It’s not like the US has a lack of stored warheads, physics packages from disassembled weapons, and complete pits and other fissionable material from fully disassembled physics packages. There are still far over five thousand warheads in US inventory, including a handful of B53 physics packages explicitly reserved for planetary defense.

More over the US likely has access to the rockets with the greatest throw weight and the fastest turnover.

and complete pits and other fissionable material from fully disassembled physics packages.

While we hear, relatively speaking, a lot about the primaries pits we here almost about the secondaries from dismantled TN warhead which are IIRC stored at the Y-12 plant in Tennessee.

While we hear, relatively speaking, a lot about the primaries pits we here almost about the secondaries from dismantled TN warhead which are IIRC stored at the Y-12 plant in Tennessee.
Tritium secondaries do age out over time (fairly quickly at that) so need to be remanufactured every so often. IIRC something like every 10 years, if it's like the tritium night sights for a firearm.

JDAM nukes, gotta love it.

The idea of a high yield precision nuke is less scary than a low yield precision warhead. "It's only a 5kt boom, and we are going to put it right on the target," results in a lower mental threshold for use of nukes.

Tritium secondaries do age out over time (fairly quickly at that) so need to be remanufactured every so often. IIRC something like every 10 years, if it's like the tritium night sights for a firearm.

You're confusing the DT-boost reservoirs used in hollow-boosting the primary with the secondary, the secondaries don't use Tritium in their fusion charges just Deuterium chemically combined with Lithium-6.

You're confusing the DT-boost reservoirs used in hollow-boosting the primary with the secondary, the secondaries don't use Tritium in their fusion charges just Deuterium chemically combined with Lithium-6.
Ah, yeah, LiD is a different thing entirely. Pretty sure those don't age out, deuterium and 6Li are stable.

Boeing bails out (not wanting a fixed term contract) :

Sierra Nevada would be the only one left bidding (officially).

@Admin: I haven't found any dedicated thread for this.

Remind me who has the space observatory in the L2 point again?

If it were going to hit them, would America do anything? That's the real question.

Remind me who has the space observatory in the L2 point again?

If it were going to hit them, would America do anything? That's the real question.

It seems doubtful Web has any capacity for spotting such; it’s a sniper scope when you need a red dot sight in astronomical terms.

As for stopping an asteroid, I would expect everyone capable of such to make their preparations regardless of impact site. It is hard to imagine any object that could cause damage across a wide enough area to severely impact an entire country wouldn’t also have global climatic consequences. A hit would most likely hit water or sparsely populated areas, statistically, but depending on size that might not be especially relevant.

It seems doubtful Web has any capacity for spotting such; it’s a sniper scope when you need a red dot sight in astronomical terms.

I meant attacking the asteroid, sorry. The giant observatory in L2 is merely an example of America's outsize performance in SLVs.

The October 2023 bipartisan Congressional Strategic Posture Commission’s report contained two important insights concerning the implications of China’s nuclear weapons buildup: 1) the United States will soon be threatened not by “one, but two nuclear peer adversaries, each with ambitions to change the international status quo, by force,” and 2) that China will achieve “…rough quantitative parity with the United States in deployed nuclear warheads by the mid-2030s.” Unfortunately, the situation is likely even worse. On August 12, 2021, the Commander of U.S. Strategic Command Admiral Charles Richard summed it up: “We are witnessing a strategic breakout by China….The explosive growth in their nuclear and conventional forces can only be what I described as breathtaking.”

The Commission’s assessment of the 2027-2035 Chinese nuclear threat, while better than any published Pentagon assessment in decades, is still based upon flawed executive branch analysis. The Pentagon’s assessment of the Chinese nuclear buildup is very ominous, but it is probably substantially too low. There has been a slow recognition of this growing nuclear threat in the Pentagon reports. The October 2023 Pentagon report on Chinese military power, published after the Commission report (the Commission data cutoff was in May 2023), voiced increased concern about the unprecedented Chinese nuclear buildup. It revealed that China was accelerating its extensive nuclear modernization and that the Chinese nuclear weapons expansion was “on track to exceed previous projections,” which included in the 2022 Pentagon China report’s an estimate of 1,500 weapons in 2035. The Chinese nuclear warhead numbers released in the 2023 report indicated that China had “more than 500 operational nuclear warheads as of May 2023,” and that it would have “over 1,000 operational nuclear warheads by 2030.” Counting “operational” nuclear weapons appears to have been selected in order to make the Chinese nuclear force look lower compared to that of the United States. The U.S. nuclear weapons numbers announced by the Biden Administration in 2021 included “active” (operational), inactive, and weapons awaiting dismantlement. It did not state how many “active” nuclear warheads the United States has.

Not to sound like a broken record (too late) but why not announce a global defense program and use it to develop new nuclear warheads and super heavy lift SRMs to carry them.

So 25 W53s have been kept in reserve for planetary defence? I suppose that's for an asteroid deflection mission? Either way if this is the case then I hope they've remanufactured the warheads primaries giving them new HE-lenses.

Given we don't have anything to carry them
Creating an orbital platform for basing nuclear weapons is a matter of a couple of months, during which old projects from the Cold War will be taken out of the dusty box.
This is not to mention the fact that any statements about "planetary defense against asteroids" are made for complete idiots.

Creating an orbital platform for basing nuclear weapons is a matter of a couple of months, during which old projects from the Cold War will be taken out of the dusty box.
This is not to mention the fact that any statements about "planetary defense against asteroids" are made for complete idiots.
Doing so would require renegotiating the Outer Space Treaty...

I'm leaning towards having a standing contract with SpaceX for a short order launch of a Falcon Heavy with a "special payload" already prepped. Said Special Payload being about 15klbs/7000kg.

Doing so would require renegotiating the Outer Space Treaty...

I'm leaning towards having a standing contract with SpaceX for a short order launch of a Falcon Heavy with a "special payload" already prepped. Said Special Payload being about 15klbs/7000kg.
ATK prior to NG acquisition proposed an all solid Antares with 25k lbs to LEO