Burnelli Projects

From Feb 18, 1926 Automotive Industries Magazine

Remington-Burnelli RBL-6
Single engine, Tractor monoplane, 8-seat passenger/freight, land-based aircraft.
Specifications: 400 hp, V12 Liberty, water-cooled. 36 ft length, 8.5 ft height, 54 ft wingspan. Weight empty 4600 lbs, Weight gross 7400 ibs, useful load 2800 lbs. 120 mph max speed, 102 mph cruise at 10,000 ft., landing speed 58 mph. Wing chord average 9 ft 3 in., 640 sq ft wing area. Tail surface area 68 sq ft, vertical tail surface area 36 sq ft. Sweepback angle 0 deg.
Awesome! Thank you so much.

Remington-Burnelli RBL-4
Twin-engine, tractor monoplane, 18-seat passenger/freight, land-based aircraft.
Specifications: Two 400 hp Liberty engines, Aircraft length 45 ft. 5 in., height 10 ft. 4 in., wingspan 78 ft. Gross weight 13900 lbs., Weight empty 8,400 lbs., useful load 5,500 lbs. Max speed 125 mph and 106 mph cruise.

Awesome! Thank you so much.
Maybe someone has some line drawings of these aircraft. The two 'Atlantic' engines are likely the Atlantic Galloway engines of 500 hp each that powered the RB-2 according to the 1925 Year Book. Also from the Smithsonian, below, regarding Burnelli's factory move and the engines that powered the RB-2:

Attachments

• Atlantic Galloway.jpg
    Atlantic Galloway.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Amazing my dear Dynoman,

and can I ask you,if there were RB 1,2,3,4 & 6,was there RB-5,or not ?.

Amazing my dear Dynoman,

and can I ask you,if there were RB 1,2,3,4 & 6,was there RB-5,or not ?.
Hesham, there was an RB-1 and RB-2. I don't know about an RB-3, but the RBL-4 and RBL-6 were Liberty powered aircraft designs, hence the "L." The RB-1 an -2 were the lifting bodied aircraft that were built and flown. The others, I suspect, were all paper designs.

The question remains what was the RB-3 and RB-5. I'll keep looking.

I'm curious if the Burnelli aircraft "under construction" for the round-the-world flight was Chapman's CB-16. This aircraft was used in a number of demonstration flights prior to this proposed flight. Any thoughts on the timeline for this aircraft?

Attachments

• June 30 1928 Air Transport Journal.jpg
    June 30 1928 Air Transport Journal.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 5
After a little more digging it looks like the CB-16 (which matches the powerplant and general design expressed in the second article below), was planned to have participated in the Round-the-World trip. However, the article says that the aircraft would be equipped with pontoons. Note: The pilot for the flight Lt. Leigh Wade, was the same pilot who flew one of the Douglas World Cruiser around the world and was the test pilot on the PG-1. Wade also made the first flight in the CB-16.

Attachments

• Ready for Fall 1928.jpg
    Ready for Fall 1928.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Burnelli CB16.jpg
    Burnelli CB16.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The question remains what was the RB-3 and RB-5. I'll keep looking.
A GB-3 was announced at the formation of the new Garvan-Burnelli Aircraft Corp. in April 1926 as a "large experimental plane" prepared especially for the Sesquicentennial in Philadelphia. The new company's president was Thomas F. Garvan, while V. J. Burnelli acted as vice-president; however, the collaboration probably didn't work out as the company continued to appear as Remington-Burnelli in all advertisements and articles after that. I therefore suspect that the RB-3 was simply the GB-3.

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom