View: https://twitter.com/spcplcyonline/status/1573362990363156483

Q-if high winds get there Tuesday and you need 3 days to get back, you're ppl will be exiting in storm conditions.
Bolger: delicate balance. Don't want to roll back if don't have to. May decide today after 5:00 bfg, but hope not.

View: https://twitter.com/spcplcyonline/status/1573363243443113986

Q-are those peak or sustained wind limits?
Blevins: it's 74 *peak* wind gusts at pad, but less than 40 knot *sustained* winds for roll back.

View: https://twitter.com/chrisg_nsf/status/1573360548938645505

16/x - "Right now, we do NOT have a forecast the shows winds higher than 74kts at KSC for the storm's passage. Right now, we don't have a forecast that violates our criteria."

View: https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1573363260526567424

Clarification on wind limits:

SLS is designed to withstand 74.1 knot (85 mph) wind GUSTS at the launch pad.

Rollback is designed to withstand 40 knot (46 mph) SUSTAINED winds while the vehicle is in motion.

There's a big difference between gusts (a few seconds) and sustained.

View: https://twitter.com/spcplcyonline/status/1573366903057399810

Q-how did you convince Space Force the 20 day limit could be a multi-week limit? Is that a precedent so no more 20-day limit?
Blevins: not going to go into detail on that. SF great part of the team. Glad we could give them info to provide assurance they need.

View: https://twitter.com/spcplcyonline/status/1573368751684198401

Upshot: they think tanking test was great even tho the 8"QD leak was diff from last time and don't know why. Keeping 27th for next attempt but will make final wx decision this pm or tmrw. Convinced Range battery is OK for MUCH longer than 20 days but won't say how they did that.

Teams Monitoring Weather While Protecting Option for Artemis I Launch

NASA is monitoring the forecast associated with the formation of a tropical depression in the Caribbean Sea while in parallel continuing to prepare for a potential launch opportunity on Tuesday, Sept. 27 during a 70-minute window that opens at 11:37 a.m. EDT.

Managers are initiating activities on a non-interference basis to enable an accelerated timeline for rolling back to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) to protect the rocket, should it be necessary. Discussions about whether to remain at the launch pad or roll back to the VAB are on-going and based on the latest forecast predictions. NASA will make a decision on whether to remain at the launch pad or roll back using incremental protocols to take interim steps necessary to protect people and hardware with a final decision anticipated no later than Saturday. The step-wise decision making process over the next day lets the agency protect its employees by completing a safe roll in time for them to address the needs of their families, while allowing flexibility to hold the launch window should weather predictions improve.

NASA is grateful to its agency partners at NOAA, United State Space Force and the National Hurricane Center for giving us the highest quality products to protect our nation’s flight test to return us to the Moon.

Author Antonia Jaramillo Botero Posted on September 23, 2022 7:54 pm
Categories Artemis I, Exploration Ground Systems, Kennedy Space Center, Orion, Space Launch System
Tags Artemis I, Exploration Ground Systems, Kennedy Space Center

The 27th has been scrubbed as a possible launch due to preparations for a possible rollback due to the weather. Final decision on the rollback will be taken today.

View: https://twitter.com/nhc_atlantic/status/1573876102325538819

Better being safe than sorry, I think that the best option for the SLS is to rollback the rocket to the VAB and wait out the storm then try again in October when the hurricane season is finished.

I'm really fucking sick and tired of these incessant launch-delays, launch the fucking thing!

Last edited:
I'm really fucking sick and tired of these incessant launch-delays, launch the fuck thing!

... even at the cost of a big-bang? IMO it is not worth the risk even if I can totally understand your frustration and impatience.

I can agree with you Deino on that point, I am getting frustrated too about the constant delays to the Artemis 1 launch but surely safety comes first before having an explosion at the launch pad which then destroys the pad. The Hurricane season has not got long to go, and any way according to the BBC news website NASA will try again on the 5 October or the 17-31 October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/63022093

I'm really fucking sick and tired of these incessant launch-delays, launch the fucking thing!
Let me guess, you're one of two things:
1) A child of the early 80's, who plopped yourself down in front of the TV to watch an early Shuttle launch only to time and again get to witness a last-second abort
2) Too young to have witnessed that era, and are blissfully free of the heartache of "what, *again?*"

Let me guess, you're one of two things:
1) A child of the early 80's, who plopped yourself down in front of the TV to watch an early Shuttle launch only to time and again get to witness a last-second abort
2) Too young to have witnessed that era, and are blissfully free of the heartache of "what, *again?*"

I was one of the kids who got pulled out of class to watch Challenger, just in time for "go for throttle up."

Take your time, NASA. Don't fuck it up.

I watched STS-1 when it was launched and my Mum woke me up early in the morning so I could watch its reentry and landing on TV, I was just under a month old when Apollo 17 was launched and one of the few things I remember from J-1 in primary-school (In 1978) was reading an illustrated booklet about Apollo 11 to me Apollo had just been, relatively speaking, a few years earlier.

Not to sound ignorant (too late) but why would the time the SRBs being vertical potentially be risking an explosion. Has this actually been identified as a risk with these particular SRBs?

I watched STS-1 when it was launched and my Mum woke me up early in the morning so I could watch its reentry and landing on TV, I was just under a month old when Apollo 17 was launched and one of the few things I remember from J-1 in primary-school (In 1978) was reading an illustrated booklet about Apollo 11 to me Apollo had just been, relatively speaking, a few years earlier.
So, you've got Go Fever PTSD, suffering from flashbacks to those painful childhood days. I'm right there with you. The thing to keep in mind is that in the early 80's it was perhaps valid to see the Shuttle as The Future, opening a door to a world of regular, low-cost space travel (we were wrong, but it seemed not unlikely at the time). Thus it was also fair to be impatient to see that important future come to pass. But SLS represents *nothing* beyond governmental excess. Whether it comes sooner or later makes no difference whatsoever; the future belongs to other, saner launch systems.

So, you've got Go Fever PTSD, suffering from flashbacks to those painful childhood days. I'm right there with you. The thing to keep in mind is that in the early 80's it was perhaps valid to see the Shuttle as The Future, opening a door to a world of regular, low-cost space travel (we were wrong, but it seemed not unlikely at the time). Thus it was also fair to be impatient to see that important future come to pass. But SLS represents *nothing* beyond governmental excess. Whether it comes sooner or later makes no difference whatsoever; the future belongs to other, saner launch systems.
Nothing but pork.

Not to sound ignorant (too late) but why would the time the SRBs being vertical potentially be risking an explosion.

If anything does go catastrophically wrong with Artemis 1 IMO it will be the SRBs blowing up due to how long they've been stacked but if it doesn't go boom on the launchpad when they are lit then it will likely fly with no problems.

Last edited:
The perfect shitstorm NASA created with STS-51L or "how to traumatize one entire generation of children for decades".

I mean, had any other Shuttle before or after had been destroyed, sure it would have been a trauma, as was STS-107.

But STS-51L with its teacher was specifically broadcasted into schools, and boom went the Shuttle. Instant lifelong traumatism for millions of kids.

Bravo, NASA.

The perfect shitstorm NASA created with STS-51L or "how to traumatize one entire generation of children for decades".

I mean, had any other Shuttle before or after had been destroyed, sure it would have been a trauma, as was STS-107.

But STS-51L with its teacher was specifically broadcasted into schools, and boom went the Shuttle. Instant lifelong traumatism for millions of kids.

Bravo, NASA.

I can remember that day like it was yesterday, my jaw almost hit the floor when Challenger exploded. Talk about being traumatised. Same thing happened when Columbia broke apart.

I was 3 and a half so I only grasped it two years later. The multicolored explosion of Challenger plus Chernobyl red and white chimney haunted my nightmares thereafter.
Both disasters three months apart scared the heck out of me, it was before the Internet and I gradually discovered the photos in magazines over the next decade.
I can remember the Challenger explosion cloud in a science magazine (think Popular Science, but for kids) and back then (because of the trajectory, the winds, the tracking camera angle and the SRBs flying away) it did not made any sense to me.
And Chernobyl colored smokestack, white and red with the greyish nuclear crater just below - the horror. As a kid I didn't knew they painted tall towers red and white for aircraft not to smash into them. End result: every time in my childhood I saw red and white pylons or chimneys, I thought of Chernobyl.

Last edited:
Rollback preparations continue, as they continue to monitor the weather situation.

Weather Monitoring and Rollback Preparations Continue

NASA continues to closely monitor the weather forecast associated with Tropical Storm Ian while conducting final preparations to allow for rolling back the Artemis I Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft to the Vehicle Assembly Building.

Managers met Sunday evening to review the latest information on the storm from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the U.S. Space Force, and the National Hurricane Center and decided to meet again Monday to allow for additional data gathering overnight before making the decision on roll back. NASA continues to prioritize its people while protecting the Artemis I rocket and spacecraft system.

Author Rachel Kraft Posted on September 25, 2022 9:11 pm
Categories Artemis 1, Artemis I

Mankind waited 50 years to go back to the moon. Today it's mission one for a return. I want that so much to happen that I can wait 50 days. Even 50 weeks! (I might get fat on popcorn though). I just want they do it right.

Last edited: