I still have this gut feeling that SLS and SuperHeavy both could light within hours of each other.

NASA To Repair, Retest SLS Hydrogen Leak At Launchpad

Seems like NASA are doing the right thing in repairing the leak at the launch pad instead of fixing it in the Vehicle Assembly Building. If NASA had to repair the rocket in the VAB then that would mean that there would be no launch until mid-October time.

this mission has me worried....... the amount of issues that are happening is almost to the point of ridiculous. but expected. and the amount of possible failure points is almost incalculable.
the sensor....
the insulation cracking....
hydrogen leaks.....
repurposed SRBs that are bootlegged to fit the Titan......
these are just my opinions however so feel free to correct me etc.
i hope that this mission goes well so we can get ARTEMIS ll off the ground and operational.

1662556816206.png

this mission has me worried....... the amount of issues that are happening is almost to the point of ridiculous. but expected. and the amount of possible failure points is almost incalculable.
the sensor....
hydrogen leaks.....
i hope that this mission goes well so we can get ARTEMIS ll off the ground and operational.

View attachment 683714

Same here Conspirator, I too wish that this mission goes well and that the follow on mission does the same, and that we can get the Moon-base built and settled before the end of the decade.

the sensor....
hydrogen leaks.....

View attachment 683714

Same here Conspirator, I too wish that this mission goes well and that the follow on mission does the same, and that we can get the Moon-base built and settled before the end of the decade.

Decade yes....which century....who knows

the sensor....
hydrogen leaks.....

View attachment 683714

Decade yes....which century....who knows
this century.
we have made the advancements we need to get there. now the issue is oxygen supply and production. (plants?)
once we get to mars. it will probably be close to the relocation proposal.

A manned mission to Mars is too dangerous. A Moon base would require daily supply launches.
of course. that is possibly why they are using SRBs.
reusable. and also quite economical instead of just building an entire rocket every time they go. good thinking on their part. however. still quite expensive. there are some reusable moon lander/rocket proposals on the table that havent fully made it to fabrication/testing. i would love to see what they are planning.

A manned mission to Mars is too dangerous. A Moon base would require daily supply launches.

of course not daily. but maybe yearly. like the ISS. but on the moon. the ISS crew has ways of rationing. that's why the shipments last for months. many months. i have not taken the time to research ARTEMIS lll but what i would do is this.

ARTEMIS l : establish comms, equipment and exploration equipment such as solar panels etc.
ARTEMIS ll : send people to visit and establish a base there with all necessary equipment with more than enough food to last for the next flight.
ARTEMIS lll : the supply flight. bringing any essentials such as food, water, plants for oxygen, ROVs. etc.

however that is just my take on how the program could be run.
you have to realize that they can ship a crap ton of supplies and make them last. your not feeding a city:D

ARCHIBALD : wrong on both accounts.

was going to cover that.... thank you.

Last edited:
We'll see. How many people at this Moon base? What sort of equipment will they need? Unlike the ISS, if there is a great deal of activity, calorie requirements will go up. Like a construction site, any equipment will be sent ahead and then they can land it or leave it in orbit until needed. Then how long to build up the actual site to its final form?

I see this as a make money only shack in space. Solar panels are set up and power gets beamed to earth. The shack contains automated controls and a shelter where astronauts can make do. That's it. If it's going to be like an SF magazine cover then there will need to be a lot more launches. In that case, it's too expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lunar physics will allow any business present there to make a lot of money. Agreed that settling any activities on the moon would require some serious down payment but then it's free access to thermal regulations at low cost, an atmosphere with nearly no risk of pollution (hence you vent away what needs to be) and, obviously the low gravity aspect without the burden of a full weightless environment.
From energy harvesting, massive nuclear power generation, space manufacturing or being an home base for space exploration, like for celestial bodies minerals, the future of the moon is to be the last frontier with an exponential growth. I have also already explained how quickly the moon will become a major financial center, accelerating it's own development.
The only thing we need to do today as an assembly of nations, is to go there, derisk and wait and see for capital venture.

Nobody in the 18th century believed in California or Alaska, lands seen only full of savages and ruthless people or devoid of any economical interests...

Last edited:

This article is a bit long, but it sheds light on some of the long term possibilities that are possible with a permanent presense on the moon. But it all comes down to money and wanting to spend vast sums of political capital to make it happen. Gateway is hopefully just the beginning.

Axiom press release:

Interesting news that Axiom have now been chosen by NASA to design and build the next space suit. I cannot wait until they reveal what it looks like.

Axiom press release:

Interesting news that Axiom have now been chosen by NASA to design and build the next space suit. I cannot wait until they reveal what it looks like.

Paragon seem to be deeply involved on the Axiom team. They've been using these photos to illustrate their press releases; not sure if it's an old suit or something specific to this contract, though. In the close-up, you can see it's a rear-entry suit like the Russian designs

1662641112361.png

1662641290253.png

I hope it is not.
The breather tube just in front of female astronauts boobs and the rigid torso link at the same emplacement (inherently determining who can use the suit or not) would logically dictate the lead engineer of this team to be spanked to orbit...

Honestly, how can those things pass a single design review?!?

Last edited:
Axiom press release:

Paragon seem to be deeply involved on the Axiom team. They've been using these photos to illustrate their press releases; not sure if it's an old suit or something specific to this contract, though. In the close-up, you can see it's a rear-entry suit like the Russian designs

View attachment 683766

View attachment 683767

From what I have seen from the photo's that TomS has posted I don't like the design at all, though I think that the suit may be an early design with improvements to follow.

I hope it is not.
The breather tube just in front of female astronauts boobs and the rigid torso link at the same emplacement (inherently determining who can use the suit or not) would logically dictate the lead engineer of this team to be spanked to orbit...

Teenagers are running the show now. If it didn't happen in the last 20 years, it didn't happen. Besides, those in charge are telling them the most important thing to them: Make sure it doesn't look like the old stuff. Perhaps the designers and engineers should be put on another project: redesigning the wheel. Note to management: Take away their dumb phones during work hours.

I hope it is not.

Teenagers are running the show now. If it didn't happen in the last 20 years, it didn't happen. Besides, those in charge are telling them the most important thing to them: Make sure it doesn't look like the old stuff. Perhaps the designers and engineers should be put on another project: redesigning the wheel. Note to management: Take away their dumb phones during work hours.

Let's not pretend that the old guard never screwed things up. The "olds" are the ones who designed and bought suits that can't actually be worn by all astronauts, after all. And it's the new guard who are pushing to make sure the new suits actually fit astronauts, male and female.

I'm the high side of 50 myself, but the one thing I've learned in my decades is that young people can be at least as smart as me (and I'm not an idiot) and often come up with ideas experienced people would never have considered. Now, sometimes those ideas are dumb for reasons that experience can immediately spot, but quite often, they're better than the old ideas that have been hanging around too long and are overdue for re-examination.

Now, I don't know anythign at all about this specific suit, but I do trust that there will be some serious attention paid to fitting as many people as possible, because we want to make sure the talent pool is as wide as possible and not limited by who fits in the stupid spacesuit best.

I hope it is not.

Let's not pretend that the old guard never screwed things up. The "olds" are the ones who designed and bought suits that can't actually be worn by all astronauts, after all. And it's the new guard who are pushing to make sure the new suits actually fit astronauts, male and female.

I'm the high side of 50 myself, but the one thing I've learned in my decades is that young people can be at least as smart as me (and I'm not an idiot) and often come up with ideas experienced people would never have considered. Now, sometimes those ideas are dumb for reasons that experience can immediately spot, but quite often, they're better than the old ideas that have been hanging around too long and are overdue for re-examination.

Now, I don't know anythign at all about this specific suit, but I do trust that there will be some serious attention paid to fitting as many people as possible, because we want to make sure the talent pool is as wide as possible and not limited by who fits in the stupid spacesuit best.

Oh please. The "olds"? Seriously? Who cares about spacesuits for women? The United States successfully landed men on the moon and deployed a wheeled vehicle. Today? What do we have? A bunch of putzes (the technical term). The same discipline that existed in 1969 is required. The fueling techniques that existed in 1969 are required. The same dedication is required. No, I'm not accusing the new generation of a lack but someone is to blame and they need to go.

"often come up with ideas experienced people would never have considered" You have just described many people on the internet who only believe they can do something but actually can't. And more experience means more experience. You are proposing giving the young magical powers they do not have.

"they're better than the old ideas that have been hanging around too long and are overdue for re-examination." Old is bad? Wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the designers and engineers should be put on another project: redesigning the wheel.
Dear God, NO.

CAPTAIN And the wheel, what about this wheel thing? It sounds a terribly interesting project.

MARKETING GIRL Ah well, we're having a little difficulty there.

FORD Difficulty! It's the simplest machine in the entire Universe!

MARKETING GIRL. All right Mr Wiseguy, if you're so clever,
you tell us what colour it should be.

-Douglas Adams, The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

View: https://twitter.com/wapodavenport/status/1567891681877397505

NASA's Jim Free says that the agency has put in the waiver request to allow an extension of the Flight Termination System battery reset requirement. If granted, NASA is holding 9/23 and 9/27 for potential launch attempts.

View: https://twitter.com/spcplcyonline/status/1567891843752271873

Free: submitted waiver package to the Range. They've been gracious and understanding. We've asked for a couple of dates: Sept 23 and Sept 27. Trying to deconflict with DART requirements for DSN on 26th. And from other activities on Range Sept 30 and from Crew-5.

View: https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1567891922194145280

Free: We're looking at a third date, but there is a potential conflict with the SpaceX Crew-5 launch so working with the Commercial Crew program.

View: https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1567892265690865670

Bolger: Team still working to repair the hydrogen leak, which requires removing and replacing the seals on the 8-inch fill-and-drain quick disconnect, as well as the 4-inch bleed quick disconnect.

View: https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1567892561527726082

Bolger: Set up an air-conditioned plastic tent around the area at the launchpad and working on the seal replacements, plan is to complete work by the end of today.

View: https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1567892734412824576

Bolger: Working toward a cryo demonstration to verify the seal replacements were successful on Sept. 17

View: https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1567894681169678336

Blevins: There are flight termination system batteries on each part of the SLS system -- ICPS, core stage, and boosters. Working to show risk to extend battery certification is "very low."

View: https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1567894834500833285

John Blevins, SLS chief engineer, reiterates that the flight risk from the solid rocket boosters being vertically stacked for longer than 12 months is minimal. (It's now been 18 months and counting).
View: https://twitter.com/wapodavenport/status/1567895501638438914

And NASA still isn't sure if the overpressure event of the hydrogen line caused the leak. NASA's Mike Bolger said "our management team apologized to the operator because we had made some manual procedure changes" between the two launch attempts.

View: https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1567895241138622464

Bolger says they don’t know yet if the inadvertent overpressurization during Saturday’s attempt damaged the seal. It did not exceed hardware specs, though.

View: https://twitter.com/bubbinski/status/1567898297746214912

Tentative plan is full tanking of both core and upper stage and doing fast fill. Not a full WDR. Tanking test.

View: https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1567903690324844544

Bolger: need at least four days between the tanking test and launch, so if the Sept. 17 tanking tests slips a day or two, could still launch on the 23rd assuming there’s an FTS waiver.

View: https://twitter.com/jackiewattles/status/1568006841413804032

The range has given comment to the press on what's to come with Artemis I. There's not much news here, but we do have a comment. Our latest story is here: cnn.com/2022/09/08/tec…

Space Launch Delta 45, operator of the Eastern Range, is in discussions with NASA to review its request for an extension of the certification of the Space Launch System rocket's Flight Termination System. The launch criteria for each vehicle are used to develop mission rules that govern the allowable flight behavior to ensure public safety, which is the foremost job of the Eastern Range.

SLD 45 and the Eastern Range have enjoyed a trusted partnership with NASA that dates back to the earliest days of human spaceflight. SLD 45 will continue to provide NASA the launch infrastructure and range resources required to assure safe access to space.

Repair Work Underway, Preparations Continue for Next Launch Opportunity

Engineers are making progress repairing the area where a liquid hydrogen leak was detected during the Artemis I launch attempt Sept. 3, and NASA is preserving options for the next launch opportunity as early as Friday, Sept. 23.

Technicians constructed a tent-like enclosure around the work area to protect the hardware and teams from weather and other environmental conditions at Launch Pad 39B. They have disconnected the ground- and rocket-side plates on the interface, called a quick disconnect, for the liquid hydrogen fuel feed line, performed initial inspections, and began replacing two seals – one surrounding the 8-inch line used to fill and drain liquid hydrogen from the core stage, and another surrounding the 4-inch bleed line used to redirect some of the propellant during tanking operations. The SLS rocket and Orion spacecraft are in good condition while remaining at the launch pad.

Once the work is complete, engineers will reconnect the plates and perform initial tests to evaluate the new seals. Teams will check the new seals under cryogenic, or supercold, conditions no earlier than Sept. 17 in which the rocket’s core stage and interim cryogenic propulsion stage will be loaded with liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen to validate the repair under the conditions it would experience on launch day. Engineers are in the process of developing a full plan for the checkouts.

NASA has submitted a request to the Eastern Range for an extension of the current testing requirement for the flight termination system. NASA is respecting the range’s processes for review of the request, and the agency continues to provide detailed information to support a range decision.

In the meantime, NASA is instructing the Artemis team to move forward with all preparations required for testing, followed by launch, including preparations to ensure adequate supplies of propellants and gases used in tanking operations, as well as flight operations planning for the mission. NASA has requested the following launch opportunities:

Sept 23: Two-hour launch window opens at 6:47 a.m. EDT; landing on Oct. 18
Sept. 27: 70-minute launch window opens at 11:37 a.m.; landing on Nov. 5

NASA’s teams internally are preparing to support additional dates in the event flexibility is required. The agency will evaluate and adjust launch opportunities and alternate dates based on progress at the pad and to align with other planned activities, including DART’s planned impact with an asteroid, the west coast launch of a government payload, and the launch of Crew-5 to the International Space Station.

Listen to a replay of today’s media teleconference on the status of the Artemis I mission. Artemis I is an uncrewed flight test to provide a foundation for human exploration in deep space and demonstrate our commitment and capability to extend human existence to the Moon and beyond.

Author NASA
Posted on September 8, 2022 7:00 pm

Repair Work Underway, Preparations Continue for Next Launch Opportunity

Engineers are making progress repairing the area where a liquid hydrogen leak was detected during the Artemis I launch attempt Sept. 3, and NASA is preserving options for the next launch opportunity as early as Friday, Sept. 23.

Technicians constructed a tent-like enclosure around the work area to protect the hardware and teams from weather and other environmental conditions at Launch Pad 39B. They have disconnected the ground- and rocket-side plates on the interface, called a quick disconnect, for the liquid hydrogen fuel feed line, performed initial inspections, and began replacing two seals – one surrounding the 8-inch line used to fill and drain liquid hydrogen from the core stage, and another surrounding the 4-inch bleed line used to redirect some of the propellant during tanking operations. The SLS rocket and Orion spacecraft are in good condition while remaining at the launch pad.

Once the work is complete, engineers will reconnect the plates and perform initial tests to evaluate the new seals. Teams will check the new seals under cryogenic, or supercold, conditions no earlier than Sept. 17 in which the rocket’s core stage and interim cryogenic propulsion stage will be loaded with liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen to validate the repair under the conditions it would experience on launch day. Engineers are in the process of developing a full plan for the checkouts.

NASA has submitted a request to the Eastern Range for an extension of the current testing requirement for the flight termination system. NASA is respecting the range’s processes for review of the request, and the agency continues to provide detailed information to support a range decision.

In the meantime, NASA is instructing the Artemis team to move forward with all preparations required for testing, followed by launch, including preparations to ensure adequate supplies of propellants and gases used in tanking operations, as well as flight operations planning for the mission. NASA has requested the following launch opportunities:

Sept 23: Two-hour launch window opens at 6:47 a.m. EDT; landing on Oct. 18
Sept. 27: 70-minute launch window opens at 11:37 a.m.; landing on Nov. 5

NASA’s teams internally are preparing to support additional dates in the event flexibility is required. The agency will evaluate and adjust launch opportunities and alternate dates based on progress at the pad and to align with other planned activities, including DART’s planned impact with an asteroid, the west coast launch of a government payload, and the launch of Crew-5 to the International Space Station.

Listen to a replay of today’s media teleconference on the status of the Artemis I mission. Artemis I is an uncrewed flight test to provide a foundation for human exploration in deep space and demonstrate our commitment and capability to extend human existence to the Moon and beyond.

Author NASA
Posted on September 8, 2022 7:00 pm

Don’t rush the repair on the SLS NASA. Take the time to get it sorted. I would not mind if the SLS launches in October, better being safe than sorry.

I hope it is not.

Oh please. The "olds"? Seriously? Who cares about spacesuits for women?

"they're better than the old ideas that have been hanging around too long and are overdue for re-examination." Old is bad? Wrong.

This is still sexist BS despite a moderator's attempts to clean it up. And I am very offended that my previous comment to that effect was deleted.

Teams Replace Seals on Artemis I Moon Rocket, Prepare for Tanking Test

After disconnecting the ground and rocket-side plates on the interface, called a quick disconnect, for the liquid hydrogen fuel feed line, teams have replaced the seals on the Space Launch System rocket’s core stage associated with the liquid hydrogen leak detected during the Artemis I launch attempt Sept. 3.

Both the 8-inch line used to fill and drain liquid hydrogen from the core stage and the 4-inch bleed line used to redirect some of the propellant during tanking operations were removed and replaced this week.

Coming up, technicians will reconnect the umbilical plates and perform inspections over the weekend before preparing for a tanking demonstration as soon as Saturday, Sept. 17. This demonstration will allow engineers to check the new seals under cryogenic, or supercold, conditions as expected on launch day and before proceeding to the next launch attempt.

During the operation, teams will practice loading liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen in the rocket’s core stage and interim cryogenic propulsion stage and getting to a stable replenish state for both propellants. Teams will confirm the leak has been repaired and also perform the kick-start bleed test and a pre-pressurization test, which will validate the ground and flight hardware and software systems can perform the necessary functions required to thermally condition the engines for flight. Following the test, teams will evaluate the data along with plans for the next launch opportunity.

Author NASA
Posted on September 9, 2022 5:10 pm
Categories UncategorizedTags Artemis I

Teams Replace Seals on Artemis I Moon Rocket, Prepare for Tanking Test

After disconnecting the ground and rocket-side plates on the interface, called a quick disconnect, for the liquid hydrogen fuel feed line, teams have replaced the seals on the Space Launch System rocket’s core stage associated with the liquid hydrogen leak detected during the Artemis I launch attempt Sept. 3.

Both the 8-inch line used to fill and drain liquid hydrogen from the core stage and the 4-inch bleed line used to redirect some of the propellant during tanking operations were removed and replaced this week.

Coming up, technicians will reconnect the umbilical plates and perform inspections over the weekend before preparing for a tanking demonstration as soon as Saturday, Sept. 17. This demonstration will allow engineers to check the new seals under cryogenic, or supercold, conditions as expected on launch day and before proceeding to the next launch attempt.

During the operation, teams will practice loading liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen in the rocket’s core stage and interim cryogenic propulsion stage and getting to a stable replenish state for both propellants. Teams will confirm the leak has been repaired and also perform the kick-start bleed test and a pre-pressurization test, which will validate the ground and flight hardware and software systems can perform the necessary functions required to thermally condition the engines for flight. Following the test, teams will evaluate the data along with plans for the next launch opportunity.

Author NASA
Posted on September 9, 2022 5:10 pm
Categories UncategorizedTags Artemis I

At least they have now replaced the dodgy seals, and that we have a tanking demonstration plus a possible launch on September 17 to look forward to.