Are Sci Fi monsters and aliens too hard to kill?

I do not agree, some species of underground insects will always survive, in my opinion, the only sure way to kill them is the impact of a Chicxulub because the shock wave that propagates several kilometers deep surrounds the entire planet and creates a second focus of destruction by converging in the hemisphere opposite the impact creating eruptions of magma for thousands of years.
Insufficient. No cometary impact since Theia has wiped out the surface life, much less subsurface. You need to liquefy the entire crust, which is no mean feat.

Last edited:
Insufficient. No cometary impart since Theia has wiped out the surface life, much less subsurface. You need to liquefy the entire crust, which is no mean feat.
If one Chicxulub is not enough, a single ship specialized in asteroid mining can deflect several hundred asteroids into an inner orbit of the System. Asteroids are cheap.

Attachments

• SM-S06-02.jpg
    SM-S06-02.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 11
If one Chicxulub is not enough, a single ship specialized in asteroid mining can deflect several hundred asteroids into an inner orbit of the System. Asteroids are cheap.
I doubt hundreds of asteroids are enough to sterilize the planet. However, a few asteroids converted into giant solar mirror, or a near-sun laser conversion array, might be enough to melt the surface over time.

I doubt hundreds of asteroids are enough to sterilize the planet. However, a few asteroids converted into giant solar mirror, or a near-sun laser conversion array, might be enough to melt the surface over time.
Asteroids may not achieve total annihilation, at least that's what happened during the Motie Wars. A more expensive and slower solution: the mirrors should orbit the planet in the opposite direction of its rotation and should be placed in many orbits with different inclinations in order to illuminate the entire surface. A cheaper solution would be to turn some asteroids into clouds of dust that would cover the planet orbiting above the atmosphere, eventually turning that world into a cryosphere. Anyway, I think using Mega-Lasers is more spectacular. Which ships do you propose to use...the battleship Lenin or the cruiser MacArthur?

Attachments

• istockphoto-609722630-612x612.jpg
    istockphoto-609722630-612x612.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 5
Best line in that is the big energy weapons are firing and the Captain says they hit them with "six-million electron volts..." (less than one watt...) But it sounded good in the 1950's...
Like the Terminator asking for a pulsed plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

May I suggest that the main problem is that most human weapons are designed to kill mammals, but chances are that the first aleins we encounter will not be mammals.
When you consider the huge amounts of time and space until we reach the next habitable planet, chances are that aliens will be nowhere near the same stage of evolution as current humans.
Humans may not even recognize many species of lichens or sea creatures.
My favorite analogy is sky whales. Just for a moment, consider the sort of creatures that might inhabit the atmosphere of a gas giant planet. They would look more like blimps, bouyed aloft by the hydrogen gas that ferments in their intestines. Hydrogen gas is very flammable when mixed with earth's atmosphere.
Now consider how difficult is was for early airplanes to shoot down the static-balloons that were manned by artillery spotters during World War 1. These balloons were very unpopular with ground troops, so they were constantly asking the fledgling air forces to shoot them down. Early attempts with solid bullets only produced slow leaks. Eventually they needed to develop incendiary bullets for .30 caliber machine guns. .30 caliber was the dominant size for WW1 machine guns.

Floating balloon aliens would make interesting adversaries. Earth seems an unlikely place for them to hang out at, though.

If they're naturally floating in oxygen atmosphere using hydrogen lift gas, it's a safe bet that taking them out with lasers will be damn near trivial.

If coexistence with birds already causes problems, attempts to integrate flying whales into our existence will undoubtedly generate the first interstellar war.

Attachments

• 69018568-hombre-de-dibujos-animados-tiene-caca-de-pájaro-en-la-cabeza.jpg
    69018568-hombre-de-dibujos-animados-tiene-caca-de-pájaro-en-la-cabeza.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 982185-200.png
    982185-200.png
    5 KB · Views: 1
  • gull-statue-bird-droppings-degrading.jpg
    gull-statue-bird-droppings-degrading.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Captura-de-pantalla-2017-09-19-a-las-18.18.33.jpg
    Captura-de-pantalla-2017-09-19-a-las-18.18.33.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 2
Asteroids may not achieve total annihilation, at least that's what happened during the Motie Wars. A more expensive and slower solution: the mirrors should orbit the planet in the opposite direction of its rotation and should be placed in many orbits with different inclinations in order to illuminate the entire surface. A cheaper solution would be to turn some asteroids into clouds of dust that would cover the planet orbiting above the atmosphere, eventually turning that world into a cryosphere. Anyway, I think using Mega-Lasers is more spectacular. Which ships do you propose to use...the battleship Lenin or the cruiser MacArthur?
Boaty McBoatface. Far better suited by having won a public competition and then rejected by so called smart people in favour of the Sir Richard Attenborough. After all, why ask if you are not prepared to comply with the winning entry?

Suitably demonstrating the fitness of just aboput any name for just about any purpose.

Or possibly the Mary Poppins?

Attachments

• 70d7663322593ab48a8a3b78286291f9.jpg
    70d7663322593ab48a8a3b78286291f9.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1950s-usa-ufo-magazine-cover-EXR71M.jpg
    1950s-usa-ufo-magazine-cover-EXR71M.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 1
  • il_fullxfull.4765109142_npxo.jpg
    il_fullxfull.4765109142_npxo.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • AMAZING-STORIES-QUARTERLY.-Spring-1930.jpg
    AMAZING-STORIES-QUARTERLY.-Spring-1930.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Amazing-Stories-April-1957-600x833.jpg
    Amazing-Stories-April-1957-600x833.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Escanear0115.jpg
    Escanear0115.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 1
  • tumblr_oyiiyykNrt1v85sfao4_500.jpg
    tumblr_oyiiyykNrt1v85sfao4_500.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 94a.jpg
    94a.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 024terracov_465_686_int.jpg
    024terracov_465_686_int.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 2
Boaty McBoatface. Far better suited by having won a public competition and then rejected by so called smart people in favour of the Sir Richard Attenborough. After all, why ask if you are not prepared to comply with the winning entry?

Suitably demonstrating the fitness of just aboput any name for just about any purpose.

Or possibly the Mary Poppins?
I hate musical movies and I'm a fan of Attenborough:)

Attachments

• rs_1024x759-211206130506-1024-3mary-poppins-julia-andrews.jpg
    rs_1024x759-211206130506-1024-3mary-poppins-julia-andrews.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 2
  • david-attenborough-baby-elephant-decision.png
    david-attenborough-baby-elephant-decision.png
    721.6 KB · Views: 2
I hate musical movies and I'm a fan of Attenborough:)
I am very much a fan of the global asset known as Sir David Attenborough. Much richer for his being around for a while yet, I hope.

I also think the name is appropriate. There was a competition among the public with names voted for and the winner supposedly used. In this instance, boaty McBoat face won and was rejected by the board. Live by the vote etc......

Various other blimp-like creatures too. One species in Fredrick Pohl's Jem and another in Harlan Ellison's collective world building exercise, Medea. Frank Herbert spun off from his participation in this for his Pandora stories. John Varley had the blimps in his Gaia trilogy, illustrated by Connor Freff Cochran here, in the first book, Titan.

freffblimps.jpg

Hoyle's Black Cloud would look at a Ramscoop like Jaws.
On the other hand, the crew of the starship might look at it as if it were a brick wall.

That might explain the fate of the Leonora Christine. In Poul Anderson's Tau Zero, a ramscoop starship hit a mini-nebula or 'nebulina' and was damaged so that it couldn't turn of its drive without risking destruction as its speed continually increased.

It's a pretty gripping story - I wouldn't mind seeing a film or miniseries made from it.

Last edited:
Another blimp, from Barlowe.

First he came up with a floating species in the illustrated book Expedition. A TV special was made based on this, Alien Planet.

Illustrations from the book and the special's website.

The gas bladder is impossibly small, but it's a nice idea - refreshingly non-humanoid. If the creature was almost entirely like a balloon animal, with variable gas pressure substituting for musculature, perhaps it might work (spiders use hydraulic pressure to extend their limbs and their musculature is only used to retract them). The large bulb at the top would simply ensure stability and provide a reserve. Anything with spikes would scare the sh*t out of it.

Attachments

• 19780380_856599794505077_2738953879278815372_o.jpg
    19780380_856599794505077_2738953879278815372_o.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • AP-eosapien.jpg
    AP-eosapien.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
  • alien-planet-eosapien-side-copyright-evergreen-films-meteor-studios-discovery-channel-copy.jpg
    alien-planet-eosapien-side-copyright-evergreen-films-meteor-studios-discovery-channel-copy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I saw a study on how prolonged exposure to zero g affects the human body which, was based on the effects noted by crews in the environment as opposed to so called scientists working from ideology. Cannot find the bleeping thing though.

Back
Top Bottom