AGM-158 JASSM

Sorry, I typo'd, the link actually says 1200 miles - corrected. It's a longer missile I think, basically an AGM-86C replacement.
AGM-158D retains roughly the same volume AFAIK. There were rumors of a stretched version with thousand mile ranges, but nothing came of that in open source. It is possible some kind of black weapon was produced based on the 158; CHAMP comes to mind.

That article seems to be misinformed. The warhead of the AGM-158 series is consistent as far as I konw; all have a 1000# class titanium penetrator, even LRASM. I also am unaware of any large scale range increase for the D version; I think there was a modification to airfoil to increase efficiency but otherwise I do not believe it is a larger weapon or has a different engine. The primary change is a weapon datalink and I think M code GPS, along with all the B2 airfoil improvements. Though M code might have been part of B2 as well.
M-Code is part of B-3

JASSM has substantially more reach than any strike weapon Marine Hornets can currently carry. Though the official maximum range for the baseline AGM-158A variant is classified, publicly available sources put it at between 230 and 330 miles. The extended-range AGM-158B JASSM-ER, the only version of JASSM currently in production, is understood to be able to fly roughly twice as far, at least. The AGM-48D Harpoon anti-ship cruise missiles and AGM-84H/K Standoff Land Attack Missile-Expanded Response (SLAM-ER) derivatives available for Marine Hornets now have reported ranges of around at least 80 and 170 miles, respectively.

View attachment 740957

Lockheed Martin is doing a product reveal for well.... A JASSM-XR
"Taking Pre-Orders"
Odd, doesn't look any longer physically than the existing JASSMs... Which suggests a more fuel-efficient engine installed (higher bypass turbofan, I'm assuming), and maybe a smaller warhead to allow a larger fuel tank (optionally, a wet fuselage section in increase fuel capacity). A new engine could be retrofitted to all existing JASSMs.

I was expecting a significant stretch to ALCM size, ~21ft long instead of ~14ft.

Odd, doesn't look any longer physically than the existing JASSMs... Which suggests a more fuel-efficient engine installed (higher bypass turbofan, I'm assuming), and maybe a smaller warhead to allow a larger fuel tank (optionally, a wet fuselage section in increase fuel capacity). A new engine could be retrofitted to all existing JASSMs.

I was expecting a significant stretch to ALCM size, ~21ft long instead of ~14ft.
Maybe its larger just not by mutch. Given even more efficient packaging, the "new wing" and maybe new engine or wet fuselage. There are a lot of combinations how a larger range can be achieved.

We do not know anything yet, but it does look to be the same form factor. I doubt any major efficiency can be created via engine change and I cannot imagine it is remotely cost effective to retrofit engines to existing weapons.
My guess is a 500# warhead, something like SLAM-ER, with the extra vol used as fuel. If that is the case, then I suspect LRASM-ER / AGM-158C-3 uses the same method to achieve range extension.

We do not know anything yet, but it does look to be the same form factor. I doubt any major efficiency can be created via engine change and I cannot imagine it is remotely cost effective to retrofit engines to existing weapons.
My guess is a 500# warhead, something like SLAM-ER, with the extra vol used as fuel. If that is the case, then I suspect LRASM-ER / AGM-158C-3 uses the same method to achieve range extension.
Hmm yeah a new warhead could also be possible. We have seen more often than not of developments which show potential for similiar effects in smaller size. But i would also say that a more efficient engine may be possible given that we come quite far from the existing engind.

Hmm yeah a new warhead could also be possible. We have seen more often than not of developments which show potential for similiar effects in smaller size. But i would also say that a more efficient engine may be possible given that we come quite far from the existing engind.

I just do not think turbofan technology has changed enough to create any significant range extension. The PW 1000 series with geared turbines I think only generate ~5% more efficiency compared to similar size/fuel consumption. It’s just a mature technology with little room for further improvement.

I just do not think turbofan technology has changed enough to create any significant range extension. The PW 1000 series with geared turbines I think only generate ~5% more efficiency compared to similar size/fuel consumption. It’s just a mature technology with little room for further improvement.
The question is what tech Level the F-107 Wr 401/105 has. Also variable cycle could allow for the development of a larger bypass system for example.

Depends on how advanced the small engines are. I doubt they've had anywhere near as much development work to reduce fuel consumption as passenger aircraft sized engines.

For example, gearing the turbofan when you're diameter limited on the fan size means you use a smaller core. Smaller core = less fuel burned. I bet you could get a 20% increase in range there, if you apply all the other tricks for improved efficiency as well.

It would appear that a new round of upgrades to the USMC's legacy F/A-18C/Ds including the ability to carry the AGM-158 has given a new lease of life to these Hornets, from Defense Updates:

The U.S. Marine Corps' legacy F/A-18C/D Hornets are receiving a significant upgrade in stand-off strike capabilities with the addition of AGM-158 Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles (JASSM). This enhancement revitalizes the aging Hornets, allowing them to engage land targets at much greater distances, keeping the aircraft further from threats and ensuring their continued relevance, particularly against near-peer rivals like Russia & China.
According to a recent release from the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (3rd MAW), in August, personnel at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California, conducted evaluations of the procedures for loading JASSMs onto Hornets as part of ongoing integration efforts.
An F/A-18D from Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 232 (VMFA-232) was used in the validation and verification tests, with support from Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 11 (MALS-11).
In this video, Defense Updates reports how JASSM could breathe new life into U.S. Marine Corps F/A-18C/D Hornet ?
Chapters:
00:11 INTRODUCTION
02:15 THE INTEGRATION
03:47 F/A-18 HORNET
05:20 JASSM
07:20 ANALYSIS

AGM-158XR:

View: https://youtu.be/Zi-sKL3KilA

The threats our customers face while completing their missions continue to evolve in complexity, scale and severity. They need the right tools to complete their missions and come home safely. Stemming from the fully-qualified JASSM-ER weapon system and the evolutionary LRASM weapon system, AGM-158 XR offers a low-risk solution at a fraction of the cost of a new start program in significantly less time.

Amazing how many Boeing products are featured in this LM add ;)