Z-21 (?) - New Chinese Heavy Attack Helicopter

Common dynamic components with the Z-20 alone will likely see this platform supersede the other attack helicopters in the Chinese inventory. Heavier payload and probable better endurance will also make it a front runner.

Given the rest of the high-tech nations race for greater speed, range, and endurance, it would not surprise me if this were the last traditional combat helicopter for China.

Given the rest of the high-tech nations race for greater speed, range, and endurance, it would not surprise me if this were the last traditional combat helicopter for China.
I'd actually expect them to try for a compound helicopter, Cheyenne style, before trying for a tilt-rotor.

I would not see China going for a tilt-rotor yet Scott Kenny, look at how long it took the US with the V-22 program and all the accidents between the initial design and eventual in service. I would think that the next thing that China would try is a Cheyenne style compound helicopter that would be a much more likely less risky option to take.

Given China's ability to acquire technology, and their fast growing technology sector, I would not be surprised to find the Chinese rotorcraft community already working on both types. Given their national aspirations, long range VTOL would seem an imperative.

That said, I agree that the next step would most likely be a compound rotorcraft, vice a tilt rotor.

I would not see China going for a tilt-rotor yet Scott Kenny, look at how long it took the US with the V-22 program and all the accidents between the initial design and eventual in service. I would think that the next thing that China would try is a Cheyenne style compound helicopter that would be a much more likely less risky option to take.
A lot of the issues with the Osprey were due to scaling up an H1/H60 sized fuselage to CH46 size. The XV-15 people happily jumped into and flew wherever it needed to go.

So something roughly 12-16pax should work quite easily for the Chinese to make work.

To me, the most important point seems to be this:

Under what circumstances would the PLA need a fast helicopter with a light transport aircraft-like range? (that has a big disadvantage of requiring significantly more maintenance)

They're not island hopping all the way from one side of the Pacific to the other, their main threat is literally right next door and that threat's main backers are also within 1000 kilometers of China at the furthest.

From what I can see, this is unknown to most American observers but Chinese helicopters also have some unconventionally long range; they can literally cross the Strait, loiter for a good while, launch their payload and fly back without any refuel (they don't have probes anyway).

Last edited: