What does your favourite sandwich look like?

The first time I visited the States, around 1990, our group was taken to a sandwich shop for lunch. Faced with a menu on the wall like a Heathrow Airport departures board with a bewildering array of items I'd never heard of, I fell back on something I recalled from American shows on the telly. It might have been Top Cat or Bilko. But I just blurted out 'Pastrami on rye hold the mayo'. As it was the only thing I knew.

I still love a pastrami sandwich.

Chris

French dip on sourdough, with Chinese hot mustard, sliced peperocinis, and pepperjack cheese.

Though I'll never turn down a good Reuben (corned beef on black or marbled rye, with spicy mustard, thousand island dressing, sauerkraut, and swiss cheese)

i like what Belgians call Dagobert or Dutchs as Blond gezond
French baguette, mayonnaise, gauda cheese, Ham, tomato, cucumber, salat, pickle or pickled onion.

Sometime i take tuna Sandwich with French baguette with tuna, onions and salat
The Belgiums have version were onions are replace with peach!

there also German sandwich i like to eat, pretzel baguette with cream cheese&Herbs with cucumbers

Last edited:
Warm corned beef variation of a BLT.

Corned beef (Warm), lettuce, tomato, mustard, mayonaise, leek and occasionally some crispy bacon.

With a side of ready salted crisps or just poossibly cheese and onion.

Damn, well at least I know what I am having for supper.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Japan really doesn’t have much of a sandwich culture, and my lunchtime sandwich usually consists of pork ham and mature cheddar on 10-grain bread with mustard mayonnaise. It hits the spot.

Before I left the UK, my favourite sandwich was Marks and Sparks’ Coronation Chicken one. Decent chunks of chicken, spicy but not overwhelming mayo, and goes down a treat!

I wonder if they still do them?

When I was a student in south-west France twenty years ago, the deli in the mall next to the university had a duck breast sandwich called the Cyrano.

Then again, in south-west France duck breast is a stapple of sunday lunch and family events. It is essentially foie gras twin brother and sidekick. My mom raised a few ducks every year, and we got the magical trio: roasted duck (on sundays), foie gras and duck breast (for special events).

Also pork pâté. My father family slaughtered a pig every december, and then it was turned into the usual delicacies and meat. It was awesome.

Hmmmm, foie gras sandwich...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-zl_y3M_kg

Yeeeeah ... whatever the bread, I don't care.

Last edited:
A proper sandwich is no mere gastronomic feast, 'tis a religious movement. Followed by another deeply spiritual movement if done right.

It is why my library is in the bathroom after all...........

The absolute best sandwich I've had was a prosciutto and mozzarella sandwich I had in Italy. Mozzarella straight from the vat, quality prosciutto, on authentic Italian bread. Absolutely sublime.

Can't go wrong with a good ham and egg sandwich, though. Sourdough bread, sliced ham, and an egg, all griddled in butter.

I don't have one all time favorite sandwich.
Sandwiches do have a general appeal, I like sandwiches.

A type I've been having once or twice a month lately is a packaged roast beef and cheddar sub from local grocery deli area then take it home and add sliced tomato, sliced onion, and pickle slices to it.
Sometimes with ketchup and mustard; sometimes with honey mustard; often with none of those.
Sandwich seems especially refreshing when done with fresh tomato and onion which have been in refrigerator overnight.

Can remember having simple PBJ which were really satisfying.
Way back when I worked at F. W. Woolworth, there were a couple years where the restaurant would during the summer have a crab salad sandwich that our store's people somehow made especially tasty. That and key lime pie were a great lunch on Saturdays. :)
While it is fairly plain, I like the chicken salad on croissant sandwich at the local bake and coffee shop our creative writers group meets at.

A proper sandwich is no mere gastronomic feast, 'tis a religious movement.
I certainly had a religious experience when my Navy buddy introduced me to his Thanksgiving weekend sandwiches.

Take pretty much everything you eat for the Thanksgiving feast, and put it inside some of the leftover dinner rolls... Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, more gravy, cranberry sauce or jelly, etc...

Edit: Serve HOT!

AARGH, now I need some turkey sandwiches....

Last edited:
1-"Thon mayo" has became a stapple of french sandwiches, particularly for students. "Tuna + mayonnaise". I have to say, it is pretty nice to eat.
"Et le thon mayo ?" "How about the tuna-mayo (sandwich) " ?

2-I also enjoyed surimi + mayo, but the whole thing is an industrial monstrosity that made me overweight, so I banned it. It is crammed with glucose and sugar or both.

3-Hard boiled eggs sandwich: no need for any sauce you just need the eggs plus some good bread.

4-Rotten camembert sandwich: enough said. Also works with any of France 400+ cheeses, plus some good wine of course. Also goat cheese (chèvre or brebis, love both).

5-Croque-monsieur: soft bread with butter and gruyère (inside and on top), plus ham of course. Then: to the oven. With salad, cherry tomatoes and olives. Also cucumbers.

his Thanksgiving weekend sandwiches.

Take pretty much everything you eat for the Thanksgiving feast, and put it inside some of the leftover dinner rolls... Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, more gravy, cranberry sauce or jelly, etc...

Now that's my kind of sandwich. I call that a "fuzitu sandwich" which is not a japanese word but actually a joke with "fout z'y tout" which translates as "put everything inside". (there is nothing sexual there, you pervert minds).

Not american, but I use to do something rather similar with the sunday launch roasted chicken. Two slices of bread, one bit of chicken plus some skin and gravy, some sriracha sauce. It is a freakkin' delight.

Last edited:
Now that's my kind of sandwich. I call that a "fuzitu sandwich" which is not a japanese word but actually a joke with "fout z'y tout" which translates as "put everything inside".
Yes, that pretty much describes those sandwiches.

"Was it on the table for Thanksgiving? Then it goes into the sandwich."

Not american, but I use to do something rather similar with the sunday launch roasted chicken. Two slices of bread, one bit of chicken plus some skin and gravy, some sriracha sauce. It is a freakkin' delight.
May have to try that. Hard to get good bread here. Not hard to get bread. Hard to get good bread without paying an arm and a leg for it.

May have to try that. Hard to get good bread here. Not hard to get bread. Hard to get good bread without paying an arm and a leg for it.
White refined flour is a freakkin' poison (just like surimi, in passing). I had to dump it and go for alternatives. I live in France, the land of bread - yet readily agree it costs an arm and a leg (and a testicle too).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOziWm_MJ9k

I ate ketchup/mayo sandwiches that sickened my parents.
Then too--I still eat sardines and drink V-8.

Bought, used to be a 'Foot Subway' on seedless, double meats, no gherkins etc or mustard. My beloved wife (RIP) would have a 'chicken wrap' or a 'yours, but six-inch'...

Now, bought, 'Chicken Salad Club', so a 'three-decker', plus a generic BLT.

Home-made, three split whole-meal rolls, think generic burger baps but tasty, with a little 'lo-whatever' spread.
Filling, any from corned-beef, chicken, ham, cheese or salami slices with optional dabs of mild mustard-pickle.
( Cats soon learned to shun even this' 'Yellow for Danger'... )
Else, half a dozen thick, un-smoked, neatly folded bacon rashers zapped in microwave for '6-66'. The lidded bacon tray safely pours off into a generic 'fat separator'. Two steaming rashers briskly forked into each roll: Bliss !!

Trying to find a decent microwave crisping tray, doomed to failure. The ones I found overheat, melt or the coating comes off the metal varieties and the risk of microwave destruction leads to recycling.
Not having space for an oven/hob I would really like to find something to address this.

( Cats soon learned to shun even this' 'Yellow for Danger'... )

:) Having a couple cats in the house adds much to life. They won't take the place of beloved wife, but they will bring life to the home.

Fortunately, the 2 orange fellows living here aren't much for people food; they will go for tuna or sardines, but outside of that, they aren't much interested and they do not harass my sandwiches.

Talking about pets and sandwiches, in a previous city, had neighbors who had a cockatiel who if you had cheese on your sandwich, he'd be in your face until you gave him a shred from the cheese.

61m+GMtnk4L._AC_SL1059_b.jpg

Décor Microwave Bacon Cooker | Splatter Proof Crisper Tray with Lid | Dishwasher Safe | BPA-Free Red
From Amazon etc,... £ 8 UKP ~~ $_10.
Liked first so much, got a spare, rarely use that.

Yes, is plastic. Safe, provided you don't over-cook bacon to 'Main Engines Ignition'. Tolerates crispy corners. Takes three rashers side-by-side with ease, obviously with much shorter zap-time. Six thick-cut rashers, doubled and 'huddled', take a minute per rasher plus one more to bring out nice texture and flavour...

Gets a bit steamy, so due-care, please

Provided you promptly drain off the liquid into fat separator, lid and base should fit into dish-washer and 'come clean'.
:) :) :)

View attachment 734923

Décor Microwave Bacon Cooker | Splatter Proof Crisper Tray with Lid | Dishwasher Safe | BPA-Free Red
From Amazon etc,... £ 8 UKP ~~ $_10.
Liked first so much, got a spare, rarely use that.

Yes, is plastic. Safe, provided you don't over-cook bacon to 'Main Engines Ignition'. Tolerates crispy corners. Takes three rashers side-by-side with ease, obviously with much shorter zap-time. Six thick-cut rashers, doubled and 'huddled', take a minute per rasher plus one more to bring out nice texture and flavour...

Gets a bit steamy, so due-care, please

Provided you promptly drain off the liquid into fat separator, lid and base should fit into dish-washer and 'come clean'.
:) :) :)
That's the thing I have, second use was lethal and only a 700 watt oven. Weird.

I had a metal jobbie with ptfe coating, second use and the microwave was sparking so it was retired pdq.

one for a picnic,

French bread with smoked venison on a bed of rocket sprinkled with black pepper (sometimes with some added extra mature cheddar)

or, my air show favourite

A bread roll with slices of turkey, stuffing, some german peppered salami and some rocket with a sprinking of chopped chives or spring onions