The potential effect of Artificial Intelligence on civilisation - a serious discussion

I guess some people don't appreciate the meaning of "Serious" in the title topic and want to turn the thread into yet another tit-fo-tat argument. Solution is to clean up the offending posts and ban certain members from posting in it. Not an action taken lightly but given this is the 3rd or 4th such thread that this has happened in, tolerance is limited. Please don't make the forum painful for members. If you want to argue do so somewhere private.

The Recording Industry Association of America has announced the filing of two copyright-infringement cases against the AI music services Suno and Udio based on what it describes as “the mass infringement of copyrighted sound recordings copied and exploited without permission by two multi-million-dollar music generation services.”

I came across this very excellent article (AI related) about large language models (LLMs). It provides insights into over-reactions by many as to the capabilities of computers all along, and I think this Q&A shows that what used to be considered "intelligence" has been forced to evolve by people, as humans find out that machines really aren't thinking as of yet. (But we have put together some very powerful algorithms.)

More illumination is needed on this topic, and a lot less heat. This article provides a great deal of illumination.

I like this quote: "I like to tell people that everything an LLM says is actually a hallucination. Some of the hallucinations just happen to be true because of the statistics of language and the way we use language." (Boldface added by me.)

And I like this quote also: "Rather than the dramatic AI narrative about what’s just happened with ChatGPT, I think it’s important to point out that the real revolution, which passed relatively unheralded, was around the year 2000 when everything became digital. That’s the change that we’re still reckoning with. But because it happened 20 to 30 years ago, it’s something we take for granted." (Boldface added by me.)

And this too: "Handing off our decision-making to algorithms has hurt us in some ways, and we’re starting to see the results of that now with the current state of the world."

And I like this quote as well: "I think it’s fair to say that the consensus among people who study human intelligence is that there’s a much bigger gap between human and artificial intelligence, and that the real risks we should pay attention to are not the far-off existential risks of AI agents taking over but rather the more mundane risks of misinformation and other bad stuff showing up on the internet." (Boldface by me.)

As many here on this thread have been outspoken about, it's the enshittification of our communications and decision-making spaces that is the most imminent threat we face right now from these AIs. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have our "radar" up for more existential risks, but we got a lot on the plate right now as businesses try to apply these (my opinion) half-formed/incompletely-thought-out algorithms to current everyday culture and commerce.

Here's the URL link for the article: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article...tion-with-alison-gopnik-and-melanie-mitchell/.

Sounds like they are trying to put safeguards in to stop people abusing it, but you kind of want to say well good luck with that as I don’t think they are going to succeed as people will always find ways round these things.

In May, when OpenAI first demoedan eerily realistic, nearly real-time “advanced voice mode” for its AI-powered chatbot platform ChatGPT, the company said that the feature would roll out to paying ChatGPTusers within a few weeks.

Months later, OpenAI says that it needs more time.

In a post on OpenAI’s official Discord server, OpenAI says that it had planned to start rolling out advanced Voice Mode in alpha to a small group of ChatGPT Plus users in late June, but that lingering issues forced it to postpone the launch to sometime in July.

More news from the music entertainment industry

AI images more detectable at least