The F-35 No Holds Barred topic

Question!

Are these the correct figures for minimum acceptable numbers after the 2012 DOT&E:

-4.6 sustained g's at 15K feet (down from 5.3, down from 6.0)
-63 seconds to accelerate from 0.8 to 1.2 Mach at 30K feet (down from 55)

SOC said:
Question!

Are these the correct figures for minimum acceptable numbers after the 2012 DOT&E:

-4.6 sustained g's at 15K feet (down from 5.3, down from 6.0)
-63 seconds to accelerate from 0.8 to 1.2 Mach at 30K feet (down from 55)

depends on the variant

Duh, should've specified the F-35A.

I suppose all the f-35 huggin' fanboi's on here know exactly what the Su-35S is capable of? its operational capabilities? that is for another thread. You think that after 25 plus years of stealth there aren't any counter-stealth tactics and tech? Only a stealth fighter will be able to operate against another stealth fighter? All 4+++ designs are doomed? The Russians put "some" concessionary stealth features on the Pakfa, yet clearly not to the extent of the F-35 or F-22. That wasn't just for a lack of tech or cash on their part. Sure the F-35 can network and become a node and all that, operate with other aircraft...big deal...hasn't the Mig-31 been there done that? Other than a helmet that still doesn't work right (they need more money to fix it) what else is so "revolutionary". I guess I remain an f-35 skeptic. Lets see how well this works in the real world. I'm not saying that Russian 4th generation fighter designs are the answer to stealth, what I was mainly critiquing is the price of the F-35 for what we are getting. And you F35 "price quoters" sound like oily used car salesman. $80 million? Are you kidding! Try $120-$180 million to start and the price is going to just get higher around 2020 due to inflation. And if there is a viable anti-stealth approach that is practical and works at a lower cost, then that makes the F-35 a very expensive choice indeed. And why all the bluster and bragging RE the F-35? You F35 Fanboi's are about as bad as the Russian Fanboi's in you're own right.

kcran567 said:
I suppose all the f-35 huggin' fanboi's on here know exactly what the Su-35S is capable of? its operational capabilities?

Most of the fighters we have available today with vectored thrust, the Su-30MKI and MKM, can perform these maneuvers,” Bogdan tells Aviation Week. “Where this aircraft is different is that it has more thrust, so when it performs the 'bell' maneuver, it can stand still, with afterburning on, and can sustain flight at 120-140 kph.”

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_06_24_2013_p33-589854.xml

So yes, we have a pretty good idea the MKI has been around since before 2000. Speaking of used car salesman, this Flanker is not exactly a new design and even the US has Flankers within its boarders. I am not dismissing it as a threat, i'm dismissing the idea that the same maneuverability that has been around for the last 13 years with the MKI, is now something that makes it capable of dodging missiles and then magically closing the distance dozens of kilometers to take it WVR (and win of course, there is no thought that it could lose the WVR fight with say an F-18E using helmet cueing and an Aim-9X). And how does a flanker close the distance to WVR if it can't find the target? How does one intercept a plane that can't be seen?

again if the situation were reversed and the F-15 was claimed to beat the dodge PAKFA missiles before winning WVR against it a lot of people might think it ridiculous that such an old design could pull that off against a much newer more advanced machine. but apparently its a one way street.

You think that after 25 plus years of stealth there aren't any counter-stealth tactics and tech? Only a stealth fighter will be able to operate against another stealth fighter?

there may well be, but a 40 year old design isn't the answer.

All 4+++ designs are doomed?

no of course not. As long as Sukhoi keeps coming out with new Flanker variants every few years and adding more "+" to the title, and people keep buying them (a few here, a few there anyway), I'm sure it will never really be doomed. we will have to wait and see about the 4th generation +++++++++++ Flanker though, I think that will be spectacular and superior to the 6th generation fighters.

The Russians put "some" concessionary stealth features on the Pakfa, yet clearly not to the extent of the F-35 or F-22.

this is a good thing? now last I checked the F-22 wasn't exactly a wimp in the maneuverability department itself, (and neither is the typhoon for that matter, but lets just stick with the F-22) The F-22 appears to be the most extremely maneuverable aircraft in the world, even if it was constantly broadcasting its position on radar scopes all over. the idea that LO features are seen as a
"consession" when the F-22 has both stealth and maneuverability shows that you think LO instantly compromises an aircraft, and I'm sorry but that is not the case. If the PAKfa has compromised LO to try and kinematically best a raptor, that better be some incredible maneuverability to make it worh compromising LO.

even if PAKFA and F-22 are dead equal in kinematics, the F-22 will see first and shoot first. thats not a "consession" its a lethal advantage. 80 percent of dogfights are won by the guy who sees the other guy first.

That wasn't just for a lack of tech or cash on their part.

oh? have you bothered to research the allocated R&D? not to mention that they are ten years away from an F-119 class engine? you bet there is a lack of hard cash and tech. the collapse of the USSR still has russia playing catch up. or is the use of interim engines another clever design feature? Russia is finally testing their first all new post soviet fighter literally decades after the collapse.

Sure the F-35 can network and become a node and all that, operate with other aircraft...big deal...hasn't the Mig-31 been there done that?

I don't recall anyone saying the F-35 would be the first, I believe the claim is that it will have a larger network with more aircraft that are collecting and sharing more data with more advanced sensors than ever though. which is kind of a big deal.

just like how not all aircraft are equal in agility, not all aircraft are equal in senors and data sharing and avionics. these things also matter.

Other than a helmet that still doesn't work right (they need more money to fix it) what else is so "revolutionary".

Im still wondering how Su-30MKI maneuverability become revolutionary "super maneuverability" when the su-35 does it, so I guess we are both stumped.

I guess I remain an f-35 skeptic.

Regardless if the f-35 can perform miracles and turn water into wine while ruling the skies, it should be cancelled

maybe just a little.

Lets see how well this works in the real world.

meaning stealth? there is plenty of successful combat history to look at.

what I was mainly critiquing is the price of the F-35 for what we are getting.

well earlier you said that no matter how good it was, the price wasn't worth it, which is kind of a hint that you will never be happy with what you are getting.

And you F35 "price quoters" sound like oily used car salesman. $80 million? Are you kidding!

that is the US Government's accountability office number. not LMs.

and KPMG, an independent auditing firm hired by canada put the price at 88 million for Canada. so, i guess they are sleazy sales people too.

And why all the bluster and bragging RE the F-35? You F35 Fanboi's are about as bad as the Russian Fanboi's in you're own right.

A lot of my bluster and bragging is about this new russian flanker being remarkably similiar to the old russian flanker. and that russia, for lack of a better phrase, is a tad "rusty" and has been out of the game for a while and probably doesn't have the money it would prefer, and that this stealth stuff (not just the F-35) seems to be kind of a big deal. all I did was apply the same questions about survivability and marketing to the flanker. which is, like it or not a pretty well known aircraft. The F-22 and Typhoon were both designed to beat it.

If you are feeling nostalgic here is an article about Flanker maneuverability from 1996:

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/iaf-long-wait-for-state-of-the-art-fighter-may-soon-be-over-with-induction-of-sukhoi-su-30/1/282819.html

The previously discussed episode of Four Corners, a news magazine program produced by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, on the Lockheed Martin F-35.

http://youtu.be/pteMgYPm1xM

With shrinking global defense budgets I think a lot of companies are seeing the possibility of LM, meaning in a way America, dominating the fighter market for the next 50 years. Once companies in Europe and elsewhere miss a generation they may never catch up. There may be opportunities in the UAV/UCAS arena but most countries that are buying the F-35 won't have the funds to take the chance on what would be a first generation European designed unmanned aircraft.
This is just my opinion of course.

bobbymike said:
With shrinking global defense budgets I think a lot of companies are seeing the possibility of LM, meaning in a way America, dominating the fighter market for the next 50 years. Once companies in Europe and elsewhere miss a generation they may never catch up.

That is a huge European fear.

bobbymike said:
. Once companies in Europe and elsewhere miss a generation they may never catch up.

Lockheed Starfighter and Phantom F-4 in Europe lasted ages! I'm glad the Typhoon is up and running here in the UK, as it really is a sterling airframe to see low and loud over the hills :) Just glad we did catch up and now have some thing to rival anything in the air the USA has bar the F-22.

TaiidanTomcat said:
bobbymike said:
With shrinking global defense budgets I think a lot of companies are seeing the possibility of LM, meaning in a way America, dominating the fighter market for the next 50 years. Once companies in Europe and elsewhere miss a generation they may never catch up.

That is a huge European fear.

Hence the endless stream of BS from certain quarters. They're terrified of the possibility.

Ian33 said:
Lockheed Starfighter and Phantom F-4 in Europe lasted ages! I'm glad the Typhoon is up and running here in the UK, as it really is a sterling airframe to see low and loud over the hills :) Just glad we did catch up and now have some thing to rival anything in the air the USA has bar the F-22.

Sadly there is a new problem
according the "Der Spiegel" examiner of the "BAAINBw*" found during inspection last April, on German Eurofighters Typhoon several defects.
like erroneous software, sluttish assembling of key components and no final checking on pyro-tech of ejection seats by British manufacture.
the BAAINBw suspect that this ejection seats problem concern the ENTIRE production of Europfighter, link it to case of crash two seat Typhoon in spain, were one of ejection seats malfunction!
and to recommend that German Tyhpon Fleet is grounded unit this problem is solved.
Also in actual edition of "Der Spiegel" has EADS serious problem in Manufacturing of Eurofighter

* BAAINBw stand for "Bundesamt für Ausrüstung, Informationstechnik und Nutzung der Bundeswehr"

Source in German
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/fehlerhafte-schleudersitze-neue-probleme-beim-eurofighter-a-909979.html

I wonder if we'll see Ares Blog jump all over that. I'm thinking, "not a snowball's chance".

Michel Van said:
Ian33 said:

Sadly there is a new problem
according the "Der Spiegel" examiner of the "BAAINBw*" found during inspection last April, on German Eurofighters Typhoon several defects.
like erroneous software, sluttish assembling of key components and no final checking on pyro-tech of ejection seats by British manufacture.
the BAAINBw suspect that this ejection seats problem concern the ENTIRE production of Europfighter, link it to case of crash two seat Typhoon in spain, were one of ejection seats malfunction!
and to recommend that German Tyhpon Fleet is grounded unit this problem is solved.
Also in actual edition of "Der Spiegel" has EADS serious problem in Manufacturing of Eurofighter

* BAAINBw stand for "Bundesamt für Ausrüstung, Informationstechnik und Nutzung der Bundeswehr"

Source in German
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/fehlerhafte-schleudersitze-neue-probleme-beim-eurofighter-a-909979.html

Their cost is escalating too:

The German air force's bill for an order of 180 Eurofighter jets is rising beyond the planned 14.7 billion euros, said a German magazine on Sunday.

Der Spiegel said the Luftwaffe now expected to have paid 14.5 billion euros by the end of this year for only 108 of the fighters and will pay 16.8 billion euros by 208 for 143 jets - paying more money for less fighters.

"It is correct that the cost of the Eurofighters is rising," said a ministry spokesman, but he declined to give details.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-eurofighter-germany-20130707,0,3389627.story

Ian33 said:
bobbymike said:
. Once companies in Europe and elsewhere miss a generation they may never catch up.

I would add one significant difference if the Typhoon countries had signed up for the F-22 would there be a Typhoon? (as an equivalent F-35 analogy) But I do agree that Europe could produce a fifth or skip to the 6th generation it becomes increasingly difficult with stealth, etc.

Here's an interesting topic for discussion. There's some discussion over at f-16.net that the Navy requirements for the F-35C following the cancelation of the A/F-X might've been what caused the F-35 to suffer in it's KPPs. Interesting postulate by aaam, who I think is F-14D here (correct me if I'm wrong).

[quote author=aaam]
Regarding the Harrier, Marines already had a program starting for that, when they were told to join JSF.. They didn't complain too much, because a STOVL JSF gives them more than they asked for, yet they don't have to foot the entire R&D budget (although given what the F-35 is costing, maybe they really didn't save that much).

For USAF, F-16 replacement wasn't that critical. Their Multi Role fighter program had already been scaled back and pushed out. Eventually it, along with ASTOVL and SSF from the Marines, got merged into CALF (Common Affordable Lightweight Fighter). At this point you might have ended up with a joint aircraft, you could look at an F-35B as a STOVL F-35A, but it would have been substantially different from the F-35.

It was the bringing in of the Navy's (somewhat compromised) requirements that drove a number of the basic design choices. The basic things you have to do to an aircraft to make it carrier compatible bled over into the other versions and that made it into the F-35 we know. If there had been an A/FX, Navy would not need the F-35C, USAF would have an F-111 replacement. Even if USAF/Marines had a merged program it would have been lighter and simpler than the F-35 of today.[/quote]

Also reflected by quicksilver from f-16.net
[quote author=quicksilver]
The Navy was the odd man out in the reconciliation of three service requirements. Coming out of A-12 and AF/X concept development they wanted twin engines, more range, more signature control, and more internal weapons carriage. The biggest USAF constraint was unit cost; the bigger the jet, the more it was going to cost. They needed something to replace the preponderance of their force structure -- Vipers -- which they had purchased at enormous rates in the 80s. Rule of thumb at the time was you buy jets buy the pound, and the going rate was $1500 bucks a pound. They wanted a jet in the 20K# class...do the math. Marine Corps wanted STOVL -- size and weight are anathema to STOVL jets due to propulsion system technology and the laws of physics. Thus, "smaller and lighter" was common to both the USAF and the USMC. Certainly wasn't what the Navy was looking for.

In the early requirements development USMC aligned with USAF on big arrow requirements; they said we'll take what the USAF wants, we just want it to hover. The Navy spent most of JAST trying to grow the requirements to meet their needs and in the process put a stake in the heart of STOVL. Were it not for the power of the shaft driven lift fan propulsion system, they would have succeeded.

Navy likes STOVL like Superman likes kryptonite. Hence all the Navy/Boeing dudes pushing the "it's all the fault of STOVL...", and other fantasies like 'just as good as,' 'effective stealth,' "that special stealth sauce doesn't matter but don't forget we've got some' (Gen 4.75) and so on.[/quote]

Also from that thread, the need for 2000 lb bomb bay is pushed by Navy, since AF and Marine are content with 1000 lb. AF changed to 2000 after realizing that commonality with Navy mean the cost was negligible.

That is certainly an interesting line of thought; I am not sure about all of it but it does make me wonder.

JSF is effectively a replacement for the LWF aircraft, Hornet A/B/C/D and F-16A/B/C/D plus Harrier. The USAF had the F-15E, though only half the number it wanted-not that it mattered as the last F-111s were retired without effective replacement in 1996 anyway, so was always lukewarm about the Navy's stealthy medium attack program (A-6 replacement). Not dissimilarly the Navy was always lukewarm about the ATF as it had F-14D. Whilst the stealthy medium attack aircraft died with the A/F-X the USAF still got its ATF, albeit only 187 of them, so one can certainly argue that USAF could take a more pure F-16 replacement whereas the navy needed to build in a heavier attack capability.

However, looking at the F-35 I am left wondering how much lighter it could be made; as long as RCS was important internal weapons carriage would be required which would remain a major driver in weight. The only big differences are potentially a shorter range and internal carriage limited to 1,000lb bombs rather than 2,000lbs.

If the A/F-X had survived the Navy would probably still have needed JSF as a Hornet A/B/C/D replacement, just with less strike capability.

JFC Fuller said:
However, looking at the F-35 I am left wondering how much lighter it could be made; as long as RCS was important internal weapons carriage would be required which would remain a major driver in weight. The only big differences are potentially a shorter range and internal carriage limited to 1,000lb bombs rather than 2,000lbs.

Dont forget the amount of reinforced structure, and heavier landing gear that Naval aircraft require to crash land on ships. Its nothing to sneeze at.

TaiidanTomcat said:
JFC Fuller said:

Dont forget the amount of reinforced structure, and heavier landing gear that Naval aircraft require to crash land on ships. Its nothing to sneeze at.

Also, lighter also means less thrust required, so likely smaller engine diameter. This likely means smaller cross section, perhaps even lower weight, and thus better fineness ratio.

Would it have been cheaper to build two different airframes in the long run? Something for the USAF and USMC, and a different airframe for the USN? For instance, let's say you build the USN an F-32 and the others the F-35A/B. Wouldn't that have been cost-prohibitive?

For that matter, and it's irritating the hell out of me that I can't find the PDF file, LockMart was claiming a cost of ~$90 million to make an F-22A at the end of production. What would have happened to the aircraft/cost equation if, instead of getting the USAF into JSF, you simply bought more F-22s and then used the JSF program for the USN and USMC only? Would kicking the USAF out have had any positive impact on the design and development of the F-35?

The problem with the F-22 is the O&M costs. To procure the thing, by the end of the run, was not that expensive but it does cost much more to operate. With that said an F-22 airframe can do everything an F-35 can do, except haul 2,000lb bombs internally, just with a lower RCS and better kinematic performance.

It would be interesting to see exactly how much difference the strengthening for carrier operations required. Lets not forget that the STOVL element brings its own weight penalties.

JFC Fuller said:
The problem with the F-22 is the O&M costs.

Yep.

With that said an F-22 airframe can do everything an F-35 can do, except haul 2,000lb bombs internally, just with a lower RCS and better kinematic performance.

The F-35 has better sensors and targeting. Also Big picture: It can be exported.

Nothing that can not be installed in an F-22.

Sure just write a blank check and we will get back to you.

It should be entirely possible to concoct an export version of the F-22 if required,

As you can guess they looked into that and it increased the cost by about 100 million per copy. No joke there was talk of about 250 million per F-22. If any country wants to sign up for that, I'm impressed. At that rate Canada could buy all of 30.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/06/05/lockheed-f22-japan-idUSN0530055420090605

And that is before we add the JSF whizz bang to it. Not to mention that no variant of an F-22 can land on a ship.

There are no free lunches, this debate F-22 vs F-35 has been beat to death all over the internet. If money is no object, then the F-22 is just peachy. If money is a factor, even an exportable F-22 is going to run head to head with the Typhoon in neutral countries (like say Japan) as opposed to countries that already favor the Typhoon (UK, Germany, etc) and be much more expensive than the typhoon, while finding a very limited market.

TaiidanTomcat said:
As you can guess they looked into that and it increased the cost by about 100 million per copy. No joke there was talk of about 250 million per F-22. If any country wants to sign up for that, I'm impressed. At that rate Canada could buy all of 30.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/06/05/lockheed-f22-japan-idUSN0530055420090605

There have a been a variety of estimates for creating an export version of the F-22. The higher unit cost is driven primarily by that - the cost of making it export-ready. Existing legislature (the Obey Amendment) prevents DoD from allocating funds to create an exportable F-22, in response Japan offered to pay much of that cost up front, and was willing to pay a much higher unit cost. This would have negated the higher unit cost to other export customers.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RS22684.pdf
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/crs/rl31673.pdf

The F-22 and F-35 though are two very different aircraft optimized for very different roles. It does not make sense to make comparisons between them.

Triton said:
The previously discussed episode of Four Corners, a news magazine program produced by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, on the Lockheed Martin F-35.

Some fun rebuttals:

http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/2013/02/19/JSF-Four-Corners-suffers-turbulence.aspx

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/policy-arrives-at-tipping-point-20130225-2f27w.html

quellish said:
The F-22 and F-35 though are two very different aircraft optimized for very different roles. It does not make sense to make comparisons between them.

We've had quite a bit of time to think about this - and my concern is becoming simpler and simpler: Who can choose when to engage.

With advances in radar technology, networking, sensor fusion and more flexible terminal homing - low observability can't be counted on as a silver bullet. As often in past the history of aviation, the ability to pick engagements (and break off engagements when the odds turn against you) is once again relevant.

If you are operating a small force (<75 aircraft) in a larger battle-space the ability to force an engagement is decreased. So, the initiative falls entirely to the super-cruising platform. It then becomes very hard for such an aircraft to be used as an effective interceptor by a small nation. It might work today - but by 2050 these platforms will still be in service, we won't be able to afford replacements and next generation missiles (as well as 5th generation interceptors) will have proliferated.

So it makes sense to pick a cheaper option or focus on a strike platform... at least for Canada.

Avimimus said:
[
With advances in radar technology, networking, sensor fusion and more flexible terminal homing - low observability can't be counted on as a silver bullet. As often in past the history of aviation, the ability to pick engagements (and break off engagements when the odds turn against you) is once again relevant.

This is where the F-35 really excels. It's sensor suite, networking, sensor fusion and thus overall situational awareness is second to none. It is the benchmark all others will need to measure themselves against. Moreover, it is not a simple matter of fitting some black boxes to an existing fighter in order to gain this capability...

From Aviation Week, 25 July 2013: Lockheed Martin Counts On Global F-35 Buys To Ease Sequestration Pain
[...]
Bruce Tanner, company executive vice president and CFO, says, “Think of the [F-35] negotiations that we hope to close fairly quickly here as being the same quantities we have embedded within the fiscal year themselves, not adjusted for sequestration. [Defense Undersecretary Frank] Kendall has been pretty vocal about trying to keep quantities and trying to prevent sort of the reopening of contracts.”

Robert Spingarn, of Credit Suisse, asked, “So, Bruce, if I want to understand what you both just said, it’s not so much about quantities, it’s more about total dollars and these dollars don’t necessarily come off of unit price but from other areas of the program?”

Tanner answered, “I think you said it just right, Rob.”
Possibly cuts in:
- operations
- facilities
- spares
- training
- maintenance
- development
- testing
or any combination?

Compare, from Defensenews, 12 March 2013: U.S. F-35 Chief Reorganizing Program Office
[...]
The Impact of Sequestration

With mandatory defense spending cuts — known as sequestration — on the horizon, Bogdan said his top priority is keeping F-35 development funded over production.

If the Pentagon has the authority to choose where it makes the cuts mandated by sequestration, program officials will have more flexibility in making F-35 program decisions.

“I can’t do anything that takes me off course to 2015 and 2017 in terms of development,” Bogdan said at the conference, referring to key battle-ready dates for the Marine Corps and Air Force, respectively. “The first dollar that comes out of the program will not, should not, come out of development.
“If I can’t get to 2015 and 2017 with the capabilities that the war fighter wants, why in heck would I continue building airplanes that come off the production line without the capability we want?” he said.

If money is taken from the F-35 program, Bogdan said it should be done in a balanced way. For instance, he said spare parts should not be sacrificed to save an aircraft.

“Don’t kill all of my spares to save a tail, because in two years when I have no spares, I’ll have airplanes out in the field, hundreds of them, that I can’t fly,” he said.
[...]
Lockheed Martin and the Pentagon are in for a balancing act.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/29/lockheed-fighter-idUSL1N0FZ1PO20130729

(Reuters) - Lockheed Martin Co is making "good progress" in negotiations with the Pentagon about the next two batches of F-35 fighter jets and hopes to reach agreement soon, Chief Executive Marillyn Hewson said on Tuesday.

Lockheed is building three models of the F-35 for the U.S. military and eight international partner countries: Britain, Australia, Canada, Norway, Turkey, Italy, Denmark and the Netherlands. Israel and Japan have also ordered the jet.

After protracted and difficult discussions on the previous order of F-35 jets, Pentagon officials had hoped to reach agreement with Lockheed around mid-year on the sixth and seventh orders, valued at multiple billions of dollars.

Air Force Lieutentant General Christopher Bogdan told company officials he wanted to reach agreement on the contracts by the end of July, according to industry sources. It may take some time afterward to finalize and sign the agreements.

The total number of jets involved is 71, with 36 planes to be purchased in the sixth production lot, and 35 in the seventh, said Joe DellaVedova, spokesman for the Pentagon's F-35 office. He said that number includes 60 F-35s for the U.S. military, and 11 for Australia, Italy, Turkey and Britain.

Hmm, 71 aircraft for $7 billion. That comes out to just less than $100 million a pop. I wonder if BS will advertise the price coming down on his blog. Somehow, I don't think so.

Yes it is dropping...

I was just throwing it out there before someone pops up and claims LM fraud because the engine price is not included.

Will sequestration kill the F-35 Program?

"Pentagon considers cancelling F-35 program, leaked documents suggest"
August 2, 2013

Source:
http://rt.com/usa/pentagon-f35-stealth-bomber-963/

Leaked documents from a Pentagon budget review suggest that the agency is tired of its costly F-35 fighter jets, and has thoughts about cancelling the $391.2 billion program that has already expanded into 10 foreign countries.

Pentagon officials held a briefing on Wednesday in which they mapped out ways to manage the $500 billion in automated budget cuts required over the next decade. A slideshow laid out a number of suggestions and exposed the Pentagon’s frustration with its F-35 jets, which are designed and manufactured by Lockheed Martin Corp. based out of Bethesda, Md. The agency also suggested scrapping plans for a new stealthy, long-range bomber, attendees of the briefing told Reuters.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel spoke to reporters on Wednesday and indicated that the Pentagon might have to decide between a "much smaller force" and a decade-long "holiday" from modernizing weapons systems and technology.

Pentagon briefing slides indicated that a decision to maintain a larger military "could result in the cancellation of the $392 billion Lockheed Martin Corp F-35 program and a new stealthy, long-range bomber," Reuters reports.

When officials familiar with the budget review leaked the news about the F-35s, the agency tried to downplay its alleged intentions.

The F-35 program is the Pentagon’s most expensive weapon system. A fleet of 2,443 aircraft has an estimated price tag of $391.2 billion, which is up 68 percent from the projected costs measured in 2001. Earlier this year, Air Force Lieutenant General Christopher Bogdan, the F-35 program manager, condemned the manufacturer for “trying to squeeze every nickel” out of the Department of Defense.

Although the warplane is the most expensive combat aircraft in history, its quality is lacking. In February, the US military grounded an entire fleet of F-35 Joint Strike Fighters because of a crack found on a turbine blade on one of the jets, marking the fourth time that a fleet was grounded because of manufacturing problems. In April, Bogdan told a Senate committee that he doubted the planes could withstand a sophisticated cyberattack.

But before the sequestration took effect this year, the Pentagon secured several contracts with Lockheed Martin to ensure the continued production and maintenance of the costly F-35s. This week, the Defense Department struck another deal with the company to produce 71 more jet fighters, claiming the costs per aircraft have been reduced by about 4 percent – an insignificant reduction when compared to the 68 percent price increase that has occurred since 2001.

After news broke of the Pentagon’s prospect to cancel the program, officials tried to control the damage of such an alarming statement that runs counter to the claims they publicly make.

"We have gone to great lengths to stress that this review identified, through a rigorous process of strategic modeling, possible decisions we might face, under scenarios we may or may not face in the future," Pentagon Spokesman George Little told Reuters in an email when asked about the slides. "Any suggestion that we're now moving away from key modernization programs as a result of yesterday's discussion of the outcomes of the review would be incorrect.”

An unnamed defense official familiar with the briefing told Reuters that the leaked budget document indicated possibilities for a worst-case scenario. He admitted that the Pentagon considered scrapping the program, but said it was unlikely, since “cancelling the program would be detrimental to our national defense.”

Regardless of the Pentagon’s intent, Congress is responsible for authorizing Department of Defense spending, and has often forced the agency to make costly and unnecessary weapons purchases.

Last year, US Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno said that the US has no need for new tanks. But even though senior Army officials have repeatedly stated that there is no need to spend half a billion dollars in taxpayer funds on new 70-ton Abrams tanks, lawmakers from both parties have pushed the Pentagon to accept the useless purchases.

Earlier this year, an investigation revealed that lobbying efforts by Northrop Grumman have kept a costly Global Hawk drone flying, despite the Pentagon’s attempt to end the project. A defense authorization bill passed by Congress requires the Air Force to keep flying its Block 30 Global Hawks through at least 2014, which costs taxpayers $260 million per year.

The US spends more money on defense than any other nation, but lawmakers from both parties often insist that the agency continue to buy tanks and keep ships and planes it no longer needs. Although the Pentagon has expressed its frustration with the costly F-35 fighter jets, there is little the agency can do without congressional support.

"Leaked documents from a Pentagon budget review suggest that the agency is tired of its costly F-35 fighter jets"

Trust Russia Times to twist the meaning of an exercise where likely EVERYTHING was on the table.

sferrin said:
"Leaked documents from a Pentagon budget review suggest that the agency is tired of its costly F-35 fighter jets"

Trust Russia Times to twist the meaning of an exercise where likely EVERYTHING was on the table.

I believe that the Russia Television report is based mostly on a Reuters article. It depends on how you define the word "cancel." We already know that the Department of Defense has paid for 71 more F-35s. Though it does make you speculate whether the Department of Defense will purchase the planned fleet of 2,443 aircraft. Will this number of aircraft drop like the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor?:

The United States Air Force originally planned to order 750 ATFs at a cost of $26.2 billion, with production beginning in 1994; however, the 1990 Major Aircraft Review led by Defense Secretary Dick Cheney altered the plan to 648 aircraft beginning in 1996. The goal changed again in 1994, when it became 438 aircraft entering service in 2003 or 2004, but a 1997 Department of Defense report put the purchase at 339. In 2003, the Air Force said that the existing congressional cost cap limited the purchase to 277. In December 2004, the Department of Defense reduced procurement funding so only 183 aircraft could be bought. The Pentagon stated the reduction to 183 fighters would save $15 billion but raise the cost of each aircraft; this was implemented in the form of a multi-year procurement plan, which allowed for further orders later. The total cost of the program by 2006 was $62 billion.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-22_Raptor

I doubt they're prematurely shut the line down and just keep turning out F-teens for the rest of forever. At worst I could see them ramping up at a slower clip.