SpaceX (general discussion)

Scott Manley has just put out a video about the first commercial EVA:

The story of Don Pettit's first flight into space was wild, he only got the slot after another astronaut had to drop out because of medical conditions. He flew up on a space shuttle for a 4 month stay, but just before he was set to return the Columbia disaster grounded the shuttle fleet.His ride home was a new upgraded Soyuz, one that had been intended to fly Lance Bass, a member of the 'boy band' *NSYNC - but that deal fell apart due to funding issues.The spacecraft had an error on the way home and Don was almost crushed by cargo he'd smuggled on board.
Now he's back for a 4th time, at the ripe old age of 69.

Looking forward to them having a MMU of their own and actually letting astronauts use it for a change.

Contrary to some--I don't look at this spacewalk as a "stunt."

Nobody drowned in this suit, after all.

Looking forward to them having a MMU of their own and actually letting astronauts use it for a change.

I'd love to see SpaceX successfully carry out what the Gemini 9A astronauts failed to do in their EVA:

A second objective was a planned extravehicular activity (EVA), or "space walk", by the right-hand seat Pilot. The plan was for him to move to the rear of the spacecraft and strap himself into the Air Force'sAstronaut Maneuvering Unit (AMU), a 'rocket pack' which would allow the pilot controlled flight, independent of the capsule's life support system. Use of the AMU was not achieved due to Cernan experiencing high cardiac stress, overheating, and fatigue during EVA.

USAF Astronaut Maneuvering Unit​

The AMU.
The United States Air Force (USAF) Astronaut Maneuvering Unit (AMU) was designed by the U.S. Air Force, which was planning to use the Gemini spacecraft as part of the Manned Orbiting Laboratory (MOL). The AMU was a backpack using hydrogen peroxide as the fuel. The total delta-v capability of the AMU was about 250 feet per second (76.2 meters per second), roughly three times that of the MMU. The astronaut would strap on the AMU like a backpack, and maneuver around using two hand controllers like that of the later MMU. Because of the fuel, which came out as a hot gas, the astronaut's suit had to be modified with the addition of woven metal "pants" made of Chromel-R metal cloth. The AMU was carried aboard the Gemini 9 mission, but was not tested because the astronaut, Eugene Cernan, had difficulty maneuvering from the Gemini cabin to the AMU storage place, at the back of the spacecraft, and overheated, causing his helmet faceplate to fog up. The AMU was also meant to be launched and flown on-board Gemini 12, and to fly untethered from the Gemini spacecraft, but was scrubbed two months before the mission.[2] NASA chief astronaut Deke Slayton later speculated in his autobiography that the AMU may have been developed for the MOL program because the Air Force "thought they might have the chance to inspect somebody else's satellites."[3]

Last edited:
Gotta love woman hair in zero-g. Looks like my wife in the morning, even in 1-G (she is a mixed-race beauty with voluminous, frizzly and curly hair).

Technically she is in free fall since the ship is still in orbit around the planet. You only get zero g in deep space.

Last edited:
Exactly Nmaude, gravity exists throughout the entire universe. I do not know where the term zero-gravity came from in the first place, was it in the early parts of the space race?

Mr. Musk: The best way to preserve life is to build a large number of orbital cities with standard rotational gravity, oxygen and nitrogen atmosphere, high radiation protection, and the ability to change position at high delta-v levels to dodge the worst of solar storms by hiding behind the planet they orbit. It would be convenient for these cities to preserve DNA banks of all terrestrial species, even if in the future it would be enough to store the numerical keys to be able to recreate them in the laboratory. If you want to contribute to the continuity of life on Earth, the best investment would be to dedicate resources to research into new forms of radiation protection... our worst enemy in space.

Attachments

• nave-espacial-arca-interestelar-transito-potencial-00389-01_883586-58374.jpg
    nave-espacial-arca-interestelar-transito-potencial-00389-01_883586-58374.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 17
I remember watching a Bible movie about the Great Flood in which the wicked who laughed at Noah later tried to climb into the ark when the waters were up to their necks. Can you imagine the lawyers who now make a living by hindering any project by trying to get on the last rocket???

How many regulations would have to be violated to hold Woodstock-69 again?:)

When the asteroid arrives, all the regulations will remain in the offices and the paper burns at 453ºF.

Attachments

• sci-fi-futuristic-noahs-ark-MKJD9W.jpg
    sci-fi-futuristic-noahs-ark-MKJD9W.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 14
  • fcd46a7b25049a6679ff881df85b01d1.jpg
    fcd46a7b25049a6679ff881df85b01d1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Wheel

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-S0265964605001189-gr1.jpg
    1-s2.0-S0265964605001189-gr1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 0282b66f5d576620a7b5d8646d6218fd.jpg
    0282b66f5d576620a7b5d8646d6218fd.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Wernher-von-Braun-Space-Station-Design-Bonestell-in-von-Braun-1952.jpg
    Wernher-von-Braun-Space-Station-Design-Bonestell-in-von-Braun-1952.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 10
  • GlencoeBoxArtLarger.jpg
    GlencoeBoxArtLarger.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 7207518180_062b0c8064_h.jpg
    7207518180_062b0c8064_h.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 12
  • spacestation18.jpg
    spacestation18.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 16
Now that the Polaris Dawn mission has ended and its crew is back the Space Bucket has a video about it:

After an eventful trip filled with spacewalks, live music, and much more, the Polaris Dawn crew has returned to Earth. This happened very early this morning after a scheduled deorbit burn and eventual Earth reentry.
The crew splashed down before teams at SpaceX made contact, opened the hatch, and officially completed this 6-day mission. Leading up to the reentry process there was quite a bit of prep to ensure everything went smoothly.
Chapters:
0:00 - Intro
0:30 - Dragon Splashes Down
3:57 - Mission Recap

Scott Manley has just uploaded a new video concerning the first operational test of SpaceX's new EVA spacesuit:

Last night the crew of Polaris Dawn returned home after 5 days in orbit and the first test of a new space suit outside a spacecraft high above the earth. Higher than any other suit test.The flight set new records, established new frontiers and was basically paid for by a private astronaut who wanted to have the suit developed and tested it himself so he could look down on Earth in a way few people can.

View: https://twitter.com/rookisaacman/status/1835640597631103173

We are back on Earth and look forward to sharing the results and our experiences with all of you. The scientists and doctors rightfully own all of our time for the next few days, but I did want to share a few thoughts as I reflect on our mission and what we set out to accomplish.

We deeply care about the world we live in today and making it better. That’s why we wear the @Stjude patch on our flight suit and why we dedicate so much time to raising funds and awareness for their vital work. It’s why we partnered with @ElSistemaUSA to show how the beauty of music can bring people together all over the world. It is why we’ve brought Starlinks to various corners of the world to help connect people and provide access to information—building blocks for solving many of the world’s challenges.

As we work to address today’s problems, we must also look to the future we want our children to grow up in. As a crew, we have always believed in humanity's destiny among the stars—a belief that’s only been reinforced by our recent journey. We had very specific mission objectives, some familiar from the past, but in many ways, they were different today.

We took our spaceship farther than any human has gone since the last Apollo mission over 50 years ago, and along the way, two of our crewmates became the women who have journeyed farthest from this planet. Now, if we have been there before, why is it significant? The better question might be: Why haven’t we gone back? It’s not easy to travel that far into space. It requires immense energy to send a human-rated spaceship to such a height, and if a rapid deorbit is required, dissipating that energy is not easy. The environment is harsh, with increased radiation, more micrometeoroid debris, and no nearby safe havens in case of trouble. We went there to study the radiation environment, gather data on its impact on systems and human health, and to explore areas we know less about, where we can learn new problem-solving methods that will help in future missions. Records are meant to be broken, and we are so excited for @Artemis to take us ALL to even greater heights.

We conducted an EVA (spacewalk) and tested a new-generation spacesuit. There have been over 300 spacewalks in the 60-year history of human spaceflight, the most famous being those of the Apollo moonwalkers. By any standard, what we did was basic in comparison. The difference is that those spacewalks were conducted by government agencies—NASA, ESA, Russian Cosmonauts, Chinese Taikonauts—with the full backing of their nations' resources. In the future, tens of thousands of people will be working in space on multiple space stations, lunar bases, and Mars outposts and not all of them will be government astronauts. Space belongs to everyone, and it’s essential that both commercial and government efforts work together to make that future a reality. It is critical for the commercial industry to have the tools and experience for spacewalk operations and the suit we tested is just the first step in that journey. By opening up new frontiers, we’re building a future for all of humanity, not just a select few. Along the way, we’ve learned a lot about the technical disciplines related to EVA operations, which will only accelerate the iterative design process that @SpaceX executes so masterfully. I will personally treasure the experience my crew and I shared, but I am most excited about future generations of the suit and where they might be used someday.

We tested new laser-based Starlink communications, using it primarily as an alternative communication pathway to Mission Control, but also to put together a very special moment: my crewmate @Gillis_SarahE playing the violin in space. This wasn’t about being first at something, but about showing the world a different perspective through the power of music. To maybe think a bit less about the differences that dominate daily discourse and a bit more about our shared humanity and what we can achieve through some measure of unity.

Beyond what we hope to learn from these technical objectives or the ~40 science and research experiments, there is always a fundamental requirement of any space mission: to cast the widest possible inspirational message. There were many firsts on our mission, but just as important were the things that were simply different from what people are used to seeing. These differences can spark all sorts of creative thinking and maybe inspire the next generation to dream about what they can accomplish among the stars. Because if we’re going to realize humanity’s destiny to reach out and unlock the mysteries of the universe, we are going to need a lot of inspired dreamers to join this grand endeavor.

I want to close by thanking everyone who worked so hard to make this mission safe and successful. Of course, that starts with the 14,000+ @SpaceX employees, from top leadership like @elonmusk, @Gwynne_Shotwell, @jjfactorykat ,@skeech412 and @TurkeyBeaver to the SpaceX technicians inspecting our booster before flight. Special thanks to all the @PolarisProgram team that supported us throughout this journey over the last 2.5 years of training to the 24x7 on-orbit operations. I also want to thank @NASA for their foresight in creating the commercial crew program, which breathes life into initiatives like @PolarisProgram ..not to mention NASA's direct mission support and EVA suit testing. Thanks to the weather teams, recovery teams (including the @USCG), all the researchers, and everyone of our supporters that cheered us on and dreams of a brighter future✨. With our deepest appreciation and gratitude, THANK YOU!

- The Federal Aviation Administration said Tuesday it proposing to fine SpaceX $633,000 for allegedly failing to follow license requirements and not getting approval for changes during two launches in 2023.
The FAA said SpaceX failed to get approval to revise its communications plan related to its license to launch from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida including adding a new launch control room at Hangar X and removing the T-2 hour readiness poll from its procedures before a June 2023 launch. SpaceX used the unapproved launch control room for the PSN SATRIA mission and did not conduct the required poll, the FAA said.

The FAA also said SpaceX used an unapproved rocket propellant farm before a July 2023 mission after submitting a request to revise its explosive site plan related to its license to launch from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. SpaceX used the unapproved rocket propellant farm for the EchoStar XXIV/Jupiter mission, the FAA said.

The FH to be used for Europa Clipper isn’t a standard version as it features hardware modifications to squeeze additional performance from the booster, allowing more complete burning of the propellant, and also use of TDRS for data transmission. No information given as this is proprietary. This has allowed the launch window to be extended to the 6th November. It will also be the fastest FH second stage to date.

Last edited:
Given that SpaceX is trying to get as much delta-V out of the FH for the Europa Clipper mission I assume that it will be the fully expendable configuration?

The Space Bucket has a new video out concerning the FAA recent fine levied against SpaceX:

Earlier this morning the FAA released a statement that highlighted two different safety requirements and the corresponding fines due to SpaceX not complying. While Starship has been in the news lately in relation to the FAA and certain delays, these new fines are actually related to specific Falcon 9 and Heavy operations that occurred around a year ago.
While a fine of this size is insignificant in the grand scheme of things for a company like SpaceX, it does bring more attention to the topic and relationship between the FAA and the company.
Chapters:
0:00 - Intro
0:32 - $633,009 In Penalties
3:57 - Starship Delays

How much is Boeing getting fined for their joke of a spacecraft? I'm guessing $0.

A good question but given how Boeing is in the doghouse with several US federal agencies and rather publicly for example with the 737MAX and the Starliner I'd say that the FAA is looking to make an example.

A good question but given how Boeing is in the doghouse with several US federal agencies and rather publicly for example with the 737MAX and the Starliner I'd say that the FAA is looking to make an example.
So they picked SpaceX instead of Boeing? Any guesses why? (It's a rhetorical question, obviously.)

The fines are questionable just because of the timing. Happened a year ago and they just now are deciding to fine them? No-one heard a word of fuss or of an investigation until a year later the fines were announced?

The fines are questionable just because of the timing. Happened a year ago and they just now are deciding to fine them? No-one heard a word of fuss or of an investigation until a year later the fines were announced?

And SpaceX has filed a lawsuit against the FAA over this very fine and issue.

Couldn't possibly be related to the recent Congressional grilling of the FAA over their glacial approval process for spaceflight permits, with the experiences of SpaceX (not in attendance) in particular being brought up (concerns about the FAA holding approvals for months before requiring minuscule changes in the application followed by more months of delay).

No, not possible at all.

And SpaceX has filed a lawsuit against the FAA over this very fine and issue.
Oh please don't throw me in the briar patch...

Hard on the heels of Chevron'...I half suspect the individual behind this fine at the FAA is secretly a Musk fan...hoping he'd win in court.

Were I the FAA, I would not want to look so petty.

FAA demand $633009 in Civil Panalties Against Falcon 9 by SpaceX
what FAA call "Failure of a Company to Comply with Safety requirements will result in consequences" during two launches in 2023

Elon Musk goes on war mode and unleash his lawyers
While Capitol Hill, DoD and NASA put pressure on FAA

Source:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdbM75PzCls

FAA delays Starship. FAA fines over Falcon 9. Yeah, this administration is tots above board. What did they do to Boeing for Starliner? Oh yeah, nothing. Wouldn't blame SpaceX at all if they said, "Dragon is not available to save your astronauts on ISS due to internal safety review".