SpaceX (general discussion)

A deadline brings complex projects into sharp relief. Deadlines provide the critical path for all levels of employee.

Faster, cheaper, better? Probably faster.
If Musk and SpaceX land a human on Mars he will become one of the most consequential people to have ever lived.

I have about 30 years of life left on this earth seeing mankind become interplanetary before I shuffle off this mortal coil is something I dearly hope I witness

Locked for cleaning up the high number reported as OT, political, offensive and otherwise not appropriate posts ….

The Space Bucket has put out a video concerning the delays for the IFT-5 flight:

Earlier this morning SpaceX released a full update on Starship multiple pages long, which included some significant claims against certain agencies delaying the IFT-5 launch. In reality, the Flight 5 upper stage and Super Heavy booster have been ready to launch since August.
The company also revealed that a previously communicated launch license from the FAA for mid-September has now been changed to late November at the earliest. If that wasn’t enough, a lot of the public comment periods surrounding these delays can continually be extended if necessary. Here I will go more in-depth into the entire update, the next steps, Starship’s timeline, and more.

The Space Bucket has a video out about the preparations the Polaris Dawn crew are doing for the upcoming first ever commercial EVA:

After a launch early yesterday on the 10th, the Polaris Dawn crew has been busy as they prepare for the first commercial spacewalk. Currently, the actual spacewalk itself is scheduled for the third day of the mission which is tomorrow September 12th.
Here we’ll see two astronauts stay inside the spacecraft while two actually exit the vehicle and complete the EVA. After reaching its high earth orbit, the crew has officially become the furthest human mission from Earth in over half a century. Here I will go more in-depth into exactly what the crew has been doing, views from outside the spacecraft, final EVA prep, and more
Chapters:
0:00 - Intro
0:30 - Day 1 Activities
3:55 - The Spacewalk

Edit: Polaris Dawn has reached the apogee so far for a Dragon spacecraft at 869.9 miles and the highest apogee of a crewed spacecraft since Apollo 17 flew in December 1972.

Last edited:
6:00am ET: Feed with Dragon is on.
6:15am ET EVA sequence begins
6:30am : Cabin venting
6:44am : hatch opening
6:50am : Hatch open
6:52am : EV1 is outside of Dragon (Jared) - Alt 735km - Speed 25283 km/h
7:01 : EV1 back in Dragon
7:06 : EV2 is outside Dragon (Sarah) - Alt 607km - Speed 25809mk/h
7:13 : EV2 back in Dragon
7:15 : Hatch closing
7:16 : Hatch closed
7:54 : Dragon is repressurized (N2)

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1834213346398089579

Some perspective on what happened this morning several hundred miles above Australia.

Two private astronauts took a spacewalk Thursday morning—yes, it was historic
"Today’s success represents a giant leap forward for the commercial space industry."

by Eric Berger - Sep 12, 2024 12:40pm GMT

The Polaris Dawn mission took firm step into the future on Thursday morning when two private citizens, Jared Isaacman and Sarah Gillis, briefly ventured outside their Dragon spacecraft.

FAA defence is that SpaceX is too innovative fast for them.

That's a bullshit excuse if I've ever heard one, the FAA administrator needs to be dismissed if he's going to have that arttitude (And the senior FAA management too if necessary).

On another note the Space Bucket has a video out about the Polaris Dawn EVA:

Very early this morning we watched as four private astronauts were exposed to the vacuum of space with two members actually exciting the Dragon capsule. Besides a handful of firsts, one of the main mission goals was to test these spacesuits in the actual environment and gather as much data as possible for teams at SpaceX.
This combined with the process of depressurizing the Dragon capsule among other milestones made for a successful and eventful EVA. Here I will go more in-depth into preparing Dragon for the hatch opening, the spacewalk itself, what’s next, and more.
Chapters:
0:00 - Intro
0:29 - First Commercial Spacewalk
4:10 - Still More Mission

The EVA suit looks sleek and non-bulky ....kudos to SpaceX ..... :)
That is because it’s still tethered to Dragon by an umbilical cord it’s not like the suits they have on the ISS where they have to take the life support system with them on their backs, which is always going to make those suits a lot more bulky than ones that are still reliant on the spacecraft for life support.

In my opinion, this whole thing of spacesuits and spacewalk is quite spectacular, but it does not represent the future that will consist of radiation protection for the astronauts, a standard atmosphere (oxygen and nitrogen) of internal pressure, a standard gravity by rotation inside the ship and specialized maintenance robots to go out and fix the Hollywood antenna.
Sixty years of research into pressurized suits and several hours of decompression breathing pure oxygen... all that to be able to bend an elbow!

Attachments

• tumblr_n5fal7dkxM1sqf5tdo7_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n5fal7dkxM1sqf5tdo7_1280.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 12
  • thumb__600_0_0_0_crop.jpg
    thumb__600_0_0_0_crop.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2001-a-space-odyssey_u-l-q10zwaa0.jpg
    2001-a-space-odyssey_u-l-q10zwaa0.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Great to see that small violin play.

regarding the Space suits:
Suits will follow the same trend as do our other outfits: fashion! This is why (and sorry to repeat myself again) the androgyne trend is as unpractical as it is unproductive, IMOHO. With tailored suits (start already with gender specific ones), a turnover could be as quick as attracting new space tourist recruits. Even more if the suits are personals (hence gifted over at the end of the mission) and customizable.

Last edited: