SpaceX (general discussion)

Suppose solar man Musk finally go nucleair and put a reactor on it. Not much solar power at Uranus
Not only that, Starship need more powerful engines to get to Uranus fast
Alone round trip to Saturn with chemical engines would take 12 years !

A NERVA nuclear engine would do it, but those don't like methane as remass.
because methane would block up the reactor core with it soot and other decay product

Argon Ion engine like used in Starlink sat, power by nuclear reactor, could do the trip.
but it takes still years for the trip.

To make trip faster you need Rocket engines with specific Impuls of 100000 sec to one million sec
to reduce the trip under a year !

To make trip faster you need Rocket engines with specific Impuls of 100000 sec to one million sec
to reduce the trip under a year !
160,000s is coming.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAhLGRcA-IQ
1718288036299.png

The Space Bucket has put out a video about whether or not IFT-5 will be ready to launch in one month's time:

After the most recent test flight, SpaceX is already getting ready for the next with ship heat shield upgrades underway among other prep. Comments from Musk suggest they will be ready in about a month from now with upgraded hardware for flight 5.
While very ambitious, SpaceX does have a few developments going in their favor for a quick turnaround including no mishap investigation from the FAA. That being said, acquiring a possibly modified launch license, replacing a new heat shield, and preparing to launch again is no easy feat. Here I will go more in-depth into new developments that impact Starship’s timeline, how realistic a launch in one month is, what to expect in the coming weeks, and more.
Chapters:
0:35 - A Busy Timeline
3:53 - Heat Shields Are Difficult

current state on second Tower
GQHcO1aXsAANRnr

Was the first paper version of Musk Starship rocket an IST or similar ?
That was called MCT I think
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnLATDZM-ro

Composites looked to be the initial idea.

Remember, Musk has the old Beal facility---and Beal had one of the largest filament winding machines ever made. I don't know what happened to that---but the composite tank that failed was said to come from Japan---so who knows?

Now, might some ablative recipes also allow them to serve as tile adhesives?

If so, there is only a need to “spackle” missing tiles—not a whole tear down.

Longer tankage and additional propellant will make up for the mass, I trust.

I would like to see Elon look at new tesselations. One known as “the hat” may be of use:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4X9msxVnDs&ab_channel=NationalMuseumofMathematics

Last edited:
Remember, Musk has the old Beal facility---and Beal had one of the largest filament winding machines ever made. I don't know what happened to that---but the composite tank that failed was said to come from Japan---so who knows?
The only thing they used from Beal was the land and maybe one test stand.
Now, might some ablative recipes also allow them to serve as tile adhesives?

If so, there is only a need to “spackle” missing tiles—not a whole tear down.
No, then it is no different than the shuttle and would be labor intensive

I wouldn’t expect the next Starship launch for a little while now, after all we’ve all seen the work they’ve been doing on it recently.

I wouldn’t expect the next Starship launch for a little while now, after all we’ve all seen the work they’ve been doing on it recently.

For moment they replace 18000 heat shield tiles on Starship 30 that take some time
Superheavy B12 they installed the Engines, then rollout to Massey site for for Static Fire testing
Also on Launch site they dispose last vertical Tanks, while refurbish the launch pad.

my guess they ready for IFT-5 end July/begin August

in the mean time at Gigatexas
they extend the factory with new datacenter for AI research
power by 50000 Nvidia H100 CPU at 35MW (what happen to Tesla own AI CPU project ?)
and yes those are cooling fans
GQc67bfXwAA8Wfv

The amount of power AI is going to use is not insignificant.

And probably more for Tesla I'd think.

Last edited:
For moment they replace 18000 heat shield tiles on Starship 30 that take some time
Superheavy B12 they installed the Engines, then rollout to Massey site for for Static Fire testing
Also on Launch site they dispose last vertical Tanks, while refurbish the launch pad.

my guess they ready for IFT-5 end July/begin August
Not July.

power by 50000 Nvidia H100 CPU at 35MW (what happen to Tesla own AI CPU project ?)

Fans?
I’m not saying they should try cooling with liquid methane, but they should try cooling with liquid methane

GQc67bfXwAA8Wfv
It won't be long before they pump out more heat than SuperHeavy measured yearly.