SpaceX (general discussion)

SpaceX just landed for 200th time a Falcon 9 booster (this one flew for 9th time)

This was the 236 Launch of a Falcon 9
alone this year had 36 Falcon 9s, two Falcon Heavies, and one Starship launch, more to come

to compare
RocketLab 37 launches of Electron with 6 recovery of First stage
Blue Origin 23 suborbital launches, ZERO orbital
Ariane 5 116 launches
Atlas 5 97 launches (planned 19 more until 2029)
Are you including failures in those launches for the Falcon 9?

Are you including failures in those launches for the Falcon 9?

That's without the failures. F9+FH has launched a total of 238 times, of which one was a partial failure (primary payload success, secondary payload stranded too low), one was a complete failure, for a total of 236 successful launches. There was also a single pre-launch failure that caused loss of vehicle and payload, which was not included in any of those numbers.

Amos-6, September 1, 2016. Biggest kaboom ever at Cape Canaveral - bet Atlas Centaur AC-5 into submission. To spoof Trump weirdest tweet ever - "Because of all that negative pressure - COPV."

I hear Starship is to use hot/staging.

I’m the resident idiot here, so if this idea is stupid I’m sure it will be pointed out….

Has anyone considered using thrust reversers on a first stage to help with separation…maybe as part of a RENE collar to justify its additional weight?

I hear Starship is to use hot/staging.

I’m the resident idiot here, so if this idea is stupid I’m sure it will be pointed out….

Has anyone considered using thrust reversers on a first stage to help with separation…maybe as part of a RENE collar to justify its additional weight?
Its not a stupid idea, all manner of staging schemes have been looked at. I don't think the weight is worth it, even with something like SuperHeavy

At another site, a poster suggested a double of Lunar Starship’s flank-mounted thrusters used to lessen debris.

SuperHeavy perhaps could have an upward sloping set?

If configured to also be used for control…no, the grid fins are still needed for chopsticks.

TheSpaceBucket has a new video out about the improvements SpaceX has made to the Starship design:

After years of development, manufacturing, and testing, SpaceX is officially ready for the first integrated test flight of Starship. Currently, the test is trending towards the third week of April, pending regulatory approval. In the past, we have seen exciting flights with the Straship upper stage, but nothing close to what's expected to happen in possibly just weeks.
This brings up the question however of what exactly does the flight profile look like and what can we expect to see on the day of launch? Between information provided by SpaceX, public documents, and other sources, we have a very good idea of when and where important events are going to happen. All of which play a significant role in Starship's performance and whether or not the mission is successful.
Being the first launch of this rocket, a lot could go wrong. This being said, SpaceX has been working day and night for quite a while now preparing for this specific moment. Here I will go more in-depth into the flight profile of Starship's first launch, the goal of this test, what to expect in the coming days, and more.

One of the major changes is a switch Titan-II style hot-staging.

Last edited:
Here is another idea:

Dispense with the grid fins proper.

Instead, have thrust deflectors stop SuperHeavy that open like flower petals.

Via actuators, these now serve as grid fins...a two-fer.

Starship is mounted on SuperHeavy -mounted supports that slide down allowing the cone shaped thrust deflectors to open more fully.

Thoughts?

It’s looking as if Sentinel-1C which is urgently required in orbit might transfer to F9 due to ongoing issues with the Vega launcher.

The 2nd stage camera view seemed notably better on today's launch.

Fz6ES2PXwAEuTAH

The Steel-plate internal, called "the Pancake" is moved to launch site

more on work at Launch site
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DDpHdIYgU

Conclusions of FAA and SpaceX submissions respectively:

DEFENSES
1. Plaintiffs lack standing to assert the claims alleged in the Complaint.
2. Plaintiffs fail to state a claim upon which relief can be granted.
3. Plaintiffs have failed to exhaust their administrative remedies for some or all of their claims.

PRAYER
For the foregoing reasons, Defendants request that the Court dismiss the Complaint in its entirety, render judgment for Defendants and against Plaintiffs, and grant Defendants such other and further relief that the nature of the case and justice requires.
Respectfully submitted this 30th day of June, 2023,

AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES
Pursuant to Fed. R. Civ. P. 8(c) and 12(b), SpaceX sets forth the following defenses.
106. Plaintiffs have failed to state a claim upon which relief may be granted.
107. Plaintiffs are barred from presenting some or all of their claim by waiver or failure to exhaust administrative remedies.
108. Plaintiffs’ claim is barred in whole or in part under the doctrine of laches.
109. Plaintiffs have failed to establish standing.
110. SpaceX may have other and additional affirmative defenses about which it may be currently unaware and reserves the right to assert such affirmative defenses.

For the foregoing reasons, SpaceX respectfully requests that that the Court deny Plaintiffs’ requests for relief, dismiss the Complaint with prejudice, enter judgment for SpaceX and Federal Defendants, and grant such other relief as may be appropriate.

Don’t underestimate how seriously Space X are now taking this case.

View: https://twitter.com/matthewtortora_/status/1676605616817676291

SpaceX Motion to Intervene granted

As I said in my spaces this was very much expected but it is nice to finally have confirmation.
In addition, Judge Nichols ordered a filing of administrative record (Essentially a collection FAA documents related to the case) by July 31st

View: https://twitter.com/matthewtortora_/status/1676624945399341056

Basically, SpaceX is now in the case on the side of the FAA defending against the environmental groups’ claims. They now have until July 31st to submit the relevant records of the environmental analysis process regarding the choice of a PEA over an EA EIS.

So what does it mean for Spacex or anyone else?

View: https://twitter.com/matthewtortora_/status/1676624415361220609

More waiting, just part of the process however for many who assumed this case was frivolous it is kind of a wake up call because it means that the Judge is taking it seriously and so is SpaceX. Them being admitted to the case affirms SpaceXs concern as well

A new video from TheSpaceBucket about SpaceX's campaign to constantly improve the reusability of the Falcon 9:

For a long time now the Falcon 9 has been launching and reusing its boosters. Since the rocket’s first mission, the launch cadence has managed to grow exponentially as the company sets new records what seems like each week. What’s arguably most impressive however is the fact that SpaceX is continuing to work on and upgrade this launch system, despite its success.
We saw an example of this just yesterday when a Falcon 9 booster launched before separating and landing for a 16th time. This is a big deal as it marks a new record for the launch system and sets a new standard for the other operational boosters. One step closer to SpaceX’s goal of reusing the booster 20 times.
To put in perspective how far this system has come since its first mission and early development, the plan originally was to reuse the booster up to 10 times. Even this was considered extremely ambitious and risky by some. Here I will go more in-depth into this milestone, the continued upgrades of this system, what to expect in the coming weeks, and more.

TheSpaceBucket has just posted a report about SpaceX's Florida Starship spaceport:

SpaceX has been busy upgrading both Starship and the Boca Chica launch site in preparation for the launch vehicle’s second orbital test flight. Throughout Starship’s history, practically every major event and development has been made in Texas at Starbase. This being said, SpaceX has a different launch site in mind for primary future Starship operations.
Since 2019 work began at Launchpad 39A in Cape Canaveral to modify the existing site with additional capabilities to support Starship. By now, a full tower, catching arms, and the start of an orbital launch mount are present. At the same time, in recent months progress has slowed significantly in Florida as new developments are made.
While Boca Chica offers an incredible desolate testing location, LC-39A not only has another launch tower already installed but many other sites within close proximity. All of which contribute to the current site progress and SpaceX’s plans going forward. Here I will go more in-depth into the progress at LC-39A, the future plans for this site, what to expect in the coming months, and more.