SpaceX (general discussion)

Stop with the political posts if you want to keep discussing SpaceX in this topic.
#5396 is okay though? Really?
Well, I was about to delete it, but it was actually *mostly* about SpaceX 'culture', so it seems at last vaguely on topic.
As described by a disgruntled intern. Totally legit. But it rips on Elon Musk so I'm sure some around here will be gushing over it. It's interesting the amount of hate he's garnered from those against free speech.

@overscan: see my above post. It is quite revealing about Musk deeply flawed personality, now clearly revealed by the Twitter disaster.

I support Musk drive to Mars, but the man is more and more an out of control nutcase. Then again, severe sleep disorders & Ambien never do any good to any human brain.

Can't see the point of going to Mars if on Earth Twitter is fueling populist nutjobs all around the planet.

Stop with the political posts if you want to keep discussing SpaceX in this topic.
Well, I was about to delete it, but it was actually *mostly* about SpaceX 'culture', so it seems at last vaguely on topic.
As described by a disgruntled intern. Totally legit. But it rips on Elon Musk so I'm sure some around here will be gushing over it. It's interesting the amount of hate he's garnered from those against free speech.
But you deleted it anyway? We'd all appreciate a heads up if you're going to delete posts that we put up in good faith.

And we've no evidence it's NOT the culture at the company except that in Sferrin's opinion, it isn't. Sferrin has dismissed it as just a disgruntled employees opinion, that doesn't automatically mean it's wrong.

Ultimately, it's up to the moderators to decide what stays and what is deleted. Even if it's posted in good faith. Stuff gets relocated for being off topic but of interest to the forum. Stuff gets removed if 1) off topic and not of interest to the forum, if 2) blatantly political, if 3) in particularly bad taste, if 4) it contains material under copyright, if 5) it is a direct personal attack on a forum member. All at the discretion of the moderators.

Don't agree, then PM a mod, or write something in the Site Feedback forum.

There might be a rule 666) about really stupid comments too :)

But you deleted it anyway? We'd all appreciate a heads up if you're going to delete posts that we put up in good faith.

And we've no evidence it's NOT the culture at the company except that in Sferrin's opinion, it isn't. Sferrin has dismissed it as just a disgruntled employees opinion, that doesn't automatically mean it's wrong.
I undeleted it. It is about Twitter at the end.

Move on...

I'd rather ask this question here rather than NSF.

Why on Earth does it takes so long for Booster-7 / Starship-24 to fly ? Is there something wrong happening at Boca Chica ? Are they running into unexpected issues ?
GSE issues. Musk tried to automate something that didn’t need to be automated…and the result was a man in a coma. He’s Jim Kirk in TMP…and the Deckers are fed up. He needs a McCoy:
“Jim, you’re pushing. Your men know their jobs.”

Post 5396 is very useful…I am glad you kept that. Bob Lutz said as much years ago. He took a dim view on computer kids getting into other businesses….his book “Car Guys vs Bean Counters” talks about how young guys get in positions of authority far too quickly among other things.

I have seen many articles on young CEOs getting into all kinds of chaos. A rumor was that Birmingham’s Hayes Aircraft/Pemco really went under due to gambling debts of the owners son. In Av Week was an article talking about engineers with a company for decades remained fastened up in cubicles where some kid in legal half their age were many flights up in rooms with views.

That having been said…I question the talk about Musk’s crazy ideas as their being of no merit…I’d have to judge that for myself. He actually was against Falcon Heavy—that was Shotwell by all accounts. Crazy doesn’t always mean wrong…but it can.

Last edited:
news about the EVA suit SpaceX is building
View: https://twitter.com/rookisaacman/status/1596199020934082560

now what is John-117 vibes ?
John-117 is better know as the Master Chief form Game HALO
who wear a MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor System
means that SpaceX Eva Suit is mixture of rigid and soft part and resemble more this Armour suit ?

111519-1-619ae405e30da.jpg

now what is John-117 vibes ?
John-117 is better know as the Master Chief form Game HALO
who wear a MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor System
means that SpaceX Eva Suit is mixture of rigid and soft part and resemble more this Armour suit ?
"We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill"

I would prefer a true pressure suit. I worry about crush and compartment syndrome coming from skinsuits:

That’s why Miles O’Brien lost an arm…his own skin served as a too-tight suit…he needed a fasciotomy.

What astronauts face

View: https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1600906851943579649

Based on a couple of conversations, I think SpaceX has a reasonable chance of making Starship's orbital launch during the first quarter of 2023. No guarantees, and there still is a lot of work to do. But they're making progress.

View: https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1600907257365106690

One thing I would note: SpaceX has moved on the from the "cowboy" phase of development in South Texas, when there was a higher tolerance of risk and failure during Starship prototype testing. With the expensive launch tower, they taking more time to increase chances of success.

After 5 day overhaul of SLC-40 the 191th Falcon 9 Mission was launch with O3b
next is Starlink 4-37, Starlink 5-1 and EROS-C3.

2022 has then 59 launches of Falcon 9 and heavy.

According to Elon Musk, SpaceX is aiming for up to 100 launches for 2023.
no wonder without competition...
... I'm look at you Blue Origin !

He could have bought SLS rides for Starlink and still had money left over to boost Starship were it not for his Twitter infatuation. He can't buy all the media-and they refuse to cover Twittergate...so what was the point?

View: https://twitter.com/joroulette/status/1608120779530444801

New - NASA asked SpaceX if Crew Dragon could potentially serve as an alternative ride home for the space station's three Soyuz MS-22 crew members, seeking an additional backup plan as Russia's probe into its ship's coolant leak takes a bit longer.

Blue Origin has now two operational prototype of BE-4 engines

Mean while at Starbase...
6zEhlmW.jpg

Blue Origin has now two operational prototype of BE-4 engines

Mean while at Starbase...
6zEhlmW.jpg
They are hardly prototypes when they are being attached to the Vulcan launcher. They are flight ready engines not prototypes. You do the cause of Space X no good when you have a persist habit of misrepresenting Blue Origins engine developments, I don’t know if it’s deliberate or accidental but either way it is not helpful.

Sorry about that Flyaway, but i have Zero respect anymore towards BO
They SEVEN years behind schedule for BE-4 and around FOUR years behind in New Glenn program.
and this hardware has to fly to prove they work correctly, what i have doubt about that...

Rocket Lab on schedule with Neutron rocket program, increase Electron launches in 2023.
SpaceX on schedule with Starship testing, wait on FAA go for orbital launch.
and rest of international competition is not sleeping either...

View: https://twitter.com/polarisprogram/status/1610391454471389193

In preparation for the Polaris Dawn mission’s planned spacewalk, the crew participated in a decompression sickness risk characterization study in the 20 Foot Chamber at NASA’s Johnson Space Center → https://polarisprogram.com/polaris-...sickness-study-at-nasas-johnson-space-center/

JANUARY 3, 2023
Polaris Dawn crew participates in a decompression sickness study at NASA’s Johnson Space Center

The Polaris Dawn crew participated in a decompression sickness (DCS) study to characterize the risk of the planned Polaris Dawn decompression profile in the 20 Foot Chamber at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, December 18-20. The facility originally served as a platform for similar atmospheric modulation tests in the early 1970s ahead of NASA’s missions to Skylab, the United States’ first space station.

The risk of decompression sickness is lowered when the amount of nitrogen is reduced in one’s body. Current extravehicular activity (EVA) decompression models – such as those used on the International Space Station – achieve this during a long-duration 100% oxygen prebreathe exercise in an airlock. The Dragon spacecraft, however, does not have an airlock, requiring the entire vehicle (including crewmembers) to decompress down to vacuum with a limited prebreathe. In anticipation of the mission’s EVA attempt, this study characterized DCS risk for Polaris Dawn and will help SpaceX develop a new decompression model for EVAs from Dragon.

Decompression sickness is more commonly known as “the bends” and is typically associated with scuba diving. When a rapid drop in air pressure occurs, nitrogen gas bubbles can form in the body and cause pain in the joints, damage skin, or create feelings of numbness, tingling in muscles, or physical fatigue. With potential DCS symptoms being vague and individual susceptibility varying significantly, it was important that the crew got experience monitoring and reporting DCS symptoms, in addition to understanding the likelihood for DCS to occur during the actual EVA.

The crew lived in the chamber for just under two days, simulating the mission’s expected pressure and oxygen profiles to determine how likely it is for DCS symptoms to occur – if at all. Throughout the test, a team of medical professionals monitored the crew for symptoms, ready to intervene and provide immediate medical treatment if necessary.

In addition to characterizing DCS risk, the event allowed for the crew and teams to practice monitoring for and reporting EVA-related medical information over communication loops ahead of the mission’s actual spacewalk.

The images in this photo essay, taken by members of the Polaris Dawn crew and Polaris team, showcase the preparations for the two-day event as well as life in the chamber during the study.

Sorry about that Flyaway, but i have Zero respect anymore towards BO
They SEVEN years behind schedule for BE-4 and around FOUR years behind in New Glenn program.
and this hardware has to fly to prove they work correctly, what i have doubt about that...

Rocket Lab on schedule with Neutron rocket program, increase Electron launches in 2023.
SpaceX on schedule with Starship testing, wait on FAA go for orbital launch.
and rest of international competition is not sleeping either...
You know what I have respect for nearly all companies that enter the spaceflight business it’s a tough old game to say the least. Yeah BO haven’t had the smoothest of times and their attitude to publicity is very different to Space X but I am still willing them on. As for Neutron being on schedule, if you really think that’s going to stay the case then you are probably out of synch even with RL themselves who are probably wise enough to know this will probably change. As for Starship being on schedule all I can say is LOL. Even Space X themselves know very well that claims and reality are very different things.

SpaceX on schedule with Starship testing
Actually, according to the schedule provided by the NASA OIG in November of 2021 Starship is already a year behind schedule. The OIG schedule lists the orbital test as planning on taking place in Q2 FY22. We are now in Q2 FY23, so a year late. And tbh personally I would guess the orbital test doesn't actually take place until mid to late 2023 which would put them about a year and a half behind the OIG schedule. And it's not just FAA approval holding up the launch, they've yet to do a full stack static fire for example. Or a wet dress rehearsal as another example.

page17image5452800.png

Also have already missed the propellant transfer test, and I'd be surprised if they get that one done even just a year and a half behind schedule as we've heard very little about starship prop transfer plans recently and as far as I'm aware no one has ever demonstrated on orbit cryogenic propellant transfer.