Great photos!

My guess would be that the objects in question are spaced-armour 'fillers' between the turret-side and turret-rear add-on composite armour panels. If true ... the bottom image shows a near-triangular section while the top images seems to show a more rhomboid section.

Great photos!

My guess would be that the objects in question are spaced-armour 'fillers' between the turret-side and turret-rear add-on composite armour panels. If true ... the bottom image shows a near-triangular section while the top images seems to show a more rhomboid section.

That's quite possible. I was quite curious since in the top images it appears as if the panel that the spare tracks are mounted to extends further out whereas on the bottom that space seems to be filled with a removable section.

I wonder if it's simply a case of different batches that resulted in the difference.

That's quite possible. I was quite curious since in the top images it appears as if the panel that the spare tracks are mounted to extends further out whereas on the bottom that space seems to be filled with a removable section.

I wonder if it's simply a case of different batches that resulted in the difference.

That makes sense. If the rear section in the top photo does extend further out, the 'fillers' would need to be of different shapes or sizes.

That makes sense. If the rear section in the top photo does extend further out, the 'fillers' would need to be of different shapes or sizes.
This photo might show it a bit better.

ma8l5drzemi51 (1).jpg

Edit:

This photo is from the Hobby Boss scale model. It's unfortunately the best angle I can get of the second variation at the moment but it does convey the difference quite well.

5.jpg.6522edda971ace14dba5b0ff890a91b3.jpg

On the topic of the Olifant, does any one know anything about a Mk.1B nicknamed "Corbadus" that was used to test experimental "yellow" roadwheels?

I'll attach a photo from Dewald Venter's Africa @ War: South African Armoured Vehicles.

Other than the image and it's associated infobox in this book, I've not been able to find any other information.

I'd assume the yellow roadwheels are a form of the Allthane compost wheels previously discussed in this thread but I'm hoping someone could either confirm or deny.

If someone also has a coloured version of this photo that would also be great.

20240907_193610.jpg

Some more pics of one of the 8x8 Ratel Log prototypes (the XDM), including one in the field with vanilla Ratel 6x6's.

Attachments

• RatelLOGxdmEhlert (2).jpg
    RatelLOGxdmEhlert (2).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 51
  • RatelLogADMnell (4).jpg
    RatelLogADMnell (4).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 40
  • RatelLOGxdmEhlert (3).jpg
    RatelLOGxdmEhlert (3).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 38
  • RatelLOGxdmEhlert (1).jpg
    RatelLOGxdmEhlert (1).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 42
Shame it never went into production. Were the 8x8 version of the AC-200 (and 100?) envisioned as taking on the logistics role this was meant to as well?
Yes, most likely - they were meant to be the new generation of vehicles to replace the Ratel series. I've posted some brochures of AC-100 and 200 somewhere in this thread, I'm sure they showed options for Log variants.

South_Africas_homegrown_Olifant_Mk2_tank_takes_center_stage_at_AAD_2024_925_001-aa3d3b58.webp

South_Africas_homegrown_Olifant_Mk2_tank_takes_center_stage_at_AAD_2024_925_004-fe8e8ff7.webp

South_Africas_homegrown_Olifant_Mk2_tank_takes_center_stage_at_AAD_2024_925_005-34b07c64.webp

South_Africas_homegrown_Olifant_Mk2_tank_takes_center_stage_at_AAD_2024_925_002-2f9bac5e.webp

South_Africas_homegrown_Olifant_Mk2_tank_takes_center_stage_at_AAD_2024_925_003-e5a55fcd.webp

Like I've stated before - these days you have to refer to foreign companies to see and get updates on the latest South African vehicle developments and upgrades. Here's some of the RG-35's latest upgrades (obviously done by mostly, if not all of a South African engineering team..).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-23 RG-35 Nimr.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-09-23 RG-35 Nimr.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2024-09-23 RG-35 Nimr-1.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-09-23 RG-35 Nimr-1.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 18
That sounds like a great topic to explore! The Bosbok is super interesting—it's wild how they repurposed the M3 to create something new. I remember reading about how modifications like that can lead to major innovations, like the Ratel. It’s always fun to discover those lesser-known prototypes. If you have any cool pics or stories about other vehicles, I’d love to see them!