Small UAS / Drones and related general thread - NOT Swarming ones.

I don't get why you'd want to use a C130 to deploy the Hero 120 given their range of 40km, with that short of standoff range seems like a good way to lose a C130 except if its in pervasive environments. And those type of environments allow AC-130s to operate.

I don't get why you'd want to use a C130 to deploy the Hero 120 given their range of 40km, with that short of standoff range seems like a good way to lose a C130 except if its in pervasive environments. And those type of environments allow AC-130s to operate.
One smells beancounter logic in action here....

When drug gangs and bored shitposters all have FPVs, do you really think there are environments that AC-130s can operate? (note visual target cognition is rapidly proliferating, and big flying thingy spamming tracers is not a difficult problem)

I guess there is uncontacted stone age people in the amazons

When I see that it's clear why FARA was cancelled. It's a different battlefield, and simply updating with reduced RCS isn't going to change a thing. Heli operations are going to require different tactics and thinking.

Last edited:
When drug gangs and bored shitposters all have FPVs, do you really think there are environments that AC-130s can operate? (note visual target cognition is rapidly proliferating, and big flying thingy spamming tracers is not a difficult problem)

I guess there is uncontacted stone age people in the amazons
I'm not certain what altitudes AC-130s typically orbit at, but the sort of cheap drones those groups could access may not reach so high. But regardless the gunship is a very specific niche aircraft and its continued utility or lack-thereof is going to be determined by developments elsewhere. If we can develop and field DIRCM capable of spoofing much faster man-portable SAMs then doing the same to fry the optics of these slower drones is certainly within the realm of possibility. It seems like the greater problem is detecting them without the big thermal signature that comes from a rocket motor. But such solutions are going to be a necessity given the threat not just to military aircraft but anything taking off or landing on a known airfield. It's the same risk the proliferation of man-portable SAMs represents but far easier to obtain. And of course, those airfields are going to need their own systems just so everyone doesn't pilot kamikaze drones into millions of dollars' worth of parked aircraft.

When I see that it's clear why FARA was cancelled. It's a different battlefield, and simply updating with reduced RCS isn't going to change a thing. Heli operations are going to require different tactics and thinking.
As threatening to helicopters (or anything without sufficient support) as this present battlefield may be, I don't think abandoning new hardware that likely would be more adaptable to this environment was a smart choice. In my view trying to use something like FARA to work alongside and coordinate manned and unmanned assets makes more sense than giving that job to AH-64 crews who might be overloaded having to do that in addition to their primary task. More than ever before situational awareness is all-important, and designing a new rotorcraft with that in mind is probably more efficient.

As threatening to helicopters (or anything without sufficient support) as this present battlefield may be, I don't think abandoning new hardware that likely would be more adaptable to this environment was a smart choice. In my view trying to use something like FARA to work alongside and coordinate manned and unmanned assets makes more sense than giving that job to AH-64 crews who might be overloaded having to do that in addition to their primary task. More than ever before situational awareness is all-important, and designing a new rotorcraft with that in mind is probably more efficient.
Why would FARA crews be any less overloaded?

Attack helos seemed like overly expensive and vulnerable assets pre Ukraine war. It seems like the wrong time to double down. And ISR can likely be done for far less money and far less risk by unman platforms.

Russian Mi-8 hit by drone.
Another defeat of a Russian helicopter using FPV! Soldiers of the M2 unit of the Special Operations Center of the SBU in Kurshchyna were able to hit another Russian helicopter with your FPV. This time, the Mi-8 was hit in the tail by a drone with a powerful fragmentation warhead.
View: https://x.com/sternenko/status/1821819139213635602

Aftermath of Drone Strike on Lipetsk Airbase -- Over 700 Glide Bombs Destroyed in Ammo Dump​

Last edited:

View: https://x.com/NOELreports/status/1825151571128189441

Could someone asses the fuze system used on Ukrainian FPV kamikaze drones as depicted on the images below? Is there a proximity fuze on the first photo, and a combined one on the second?

1.jpg

2.jpg

A small update. There are some images of the Chimera 7 drone and its avionics available on sm, including the "detonator" module. Could some analyze the fuze? Is this a proximity one? The presence of an STM32 would suggest some degree of sophistication.

photo_2024-08-21_14-03-53.jpg
photo_2024-08-21_14-03-59.jpg
photo_2024-08-21_14-04-11.jpg

photo_2024-08-21_14-03-55.jpg

@Forest Green
Do you happen to identify the principle under which the above board with Ukrainian inscriptions works? Could it utilize a laser ranging device, hence a laser fuze?
Considering the Ukrainian description, I assume that the green ARK port is to be connected to the "mechanical counter of the target", and the two pins are for the safety port. The blue/orange socket is the "electro-detonator" (i.e. the triggering mechanism), and I understand that this is the port that is connected to the triggering mechanism screwed to the rear of the RPG projectile. The detector is marked as "explosion". Possible?

b.jpg

1724316786534.png
View: https://x.com/BilboBagginsBut/status/1826535314518651139

1724316709391.png

Not a military topic but I thought I'd post it here as it relates to small drones:

"According to DroneUp CEO Tom Walker, the current cost to deliver a package by drone is around $30, far exceeding traditional ground delivery methods. The company’s goal is to reduce this cost to under $7, making it competitive and sustainable."

This confirms what many skeptics were saying, that unless you are delivering a priority package where the customer is willing to pay a hefty premium, the economics of commercial drone deliveries doesn't make sense. :(

Found on sm. Ukrainian conflict warning to all UAV operators to remove the GPS receiver from their RC transmitters, because this was the way the other side of the conflict pinpointed their position and shot at it.

rc.jpg

Why would a receiver give away position? Should it not be completely passive?

I believe that the GPS receiver is embedded in the RC ground transmitters of some commercial drones that enables the operator on the ground to execute the return of the drone to the place where the RC transmitter is located along with its operator. Perhaps the long/lat position that is being transmitted from the ground to the drone is unencrypted and can be intercepted by the other side of the conflict, thus the place were the operator on the ground is located can be bombed.

The latest Hezbollah kamikaze drone.
It looks to be based on the shahed 101,just smaller and considerably simplified.
GV0LYX9WsAEpRtQ.jpg