SiAW (Stand-in Attack Weapon)

Air launch at subsonic speeds and ~50kft gives you +1100m/s delta vee. Kick that up to Mach 2 and you get +1600m/s or so.

Yes, the only real issue might be the way the fins currently fold for ground launch, the folding fins may need modifying to a double fold or a curved profile.
I thought the fins had a combined fold and wrap already?

Mass may also be an issue for the internal points.
That's definitely a concern, ATACMS is 3700lbs.

Worst case scenario, you may have to use a PrSM instead for internal fit.
While PrSM is 17" diameter instead of 24", I think it's still over 2500lbs.

Air launch at subsonic speeds and ~50kft gives you +1100m/s delta vee. Kick that up to Mach 2 and you get +1600m/s or so.
M2.0 is a little ambitious for an F-35, or an external carry, except maybe on an F-15EX but yes, dramatic things are possible as regards range with ALBMs.
I thought the fins had a combined fold and wrap already?
They do but the even folded they stick out a little bit and may exceed 25in wingspan, assuming that's the limit. This sort of curved folding fin design would solve that:
1717319630067.png
That's definitely a concern, ATACMS is 3700lbs.

While PrSM is 17" diameter instead of 24", I think it's still over 2500lbs.
Shouldn't be, Block 4 ATACMS is 1.34t (<3,000lbs).

Wow, no wonder this argument is going nowhere. You've misunderstood the concept, and all the figures completely. Kinzhal goes 2,000km with a 480-500kg warhead. It's strongly based on a Iskander-M SRBM, which goes 500+km with a 700kg warhead. Air-launching missiles supersonic at altitude gets you way more range than a ground-launch from a TEL, simple physics, just as a rocket launched from an aircraft takes less fuel to put a payload in orbit.

I think you simply don't know why the Kinzhal's figures are so different from Iskander, despite being the same missile with an aerocone.

The "2,000 km" figure is somewhat misleading because Rostec/KTRV likes to include the combat strike radius of the MiG-31 in that figure, which is true albeit counter-intuitive, because the MiG-31 laden with a Kinzhal has a ~1,500 km strike radius on a hi-hi-hi mission at a subsonic cruise speed.

This belies the purpose of an air-launched ballistic missile: to rapidly position an otherwise ordinary surface launched ballistic missile where it needs to fire. A land-based battery of Iskanders might take several hours to move 200 kilometers south to strike a target 500 kilometers behind Ukrainian lines, while a MiG-31 can do it in about 20 minutes or so. This makes it useful for time critical targets.

The Tu-22M3 adds an additional 1,000 km to the "range" of the Kinzhal solely by having bigger fuel tanks than the MiG-31 and carries two. Which is to say, once we account for the differences in combat radius, the Kinzhal has the same "strike range" as the Iskander. An air-launched ATACMS would have little real range differences between a surface launched one too, but it is compromised because it had to fit inside a M269 LLM, while Iskander/Kinzhal had to fit inside the 9P71.

In other words, it would be similar to Kinzhal, but you can claim "1,000 km range" by combining JSF's ~700 km with ATACMS' ~300 km.

Attachments

• 1717334977689.png
    1717334977689.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Right, but you get 2/3 of that boost just from being airborne and subsonic.
Yes, because KE and drag increase with the square of velocity. The main advantage of being airborne is the lower density at altitude, which massively reduces drag and the work done against it by the rocket and the PE. The extra speed between M1.0 and M2.0 will not mean anything to a rocket accelerating from M10-M11 (factor of 7 difference in drag difference betwen M10 and M11 vs M1 and M2), and the rocket also moves a much greater distance against that drag because it's going faster. Extra altitude is good because you can see that the first 10km reduces density by a factor of ~5 and so does the next 10km and the next, plus the gain in PE that a ground launched rocket would have to do itself. In fact the main benefit in extra speed would be reaching those higher altitudes. The range of a SRAM launched from an SR-71 was supposed to be something ridiculous, "SR-71 Origins and Evolution" quoted 500nm for a launch from an SR-71Bx at 90kft.

1717333048781.png

Last edited:
I always have this thought .... I know that "stand-off" means from a far distance away ...

But what does "stand-in" here means in SiAW context?

"Stand-in" just means it's fired from within range of either SAMs or DCA tasked fighters, but out of range of Bde and below SAMs like Roland.

Attachments

• 1717337146932.png
    1717337146932.png
    814.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I think you simply don't know why the Kinzhal's figures are so different from Iskander, despite being the same missile with an aerocone.

The "2,000 km" figure is somewhat misleading because Rostec/KTRV likes to include the combat strike radius of the MiG-31 in that figure, which is true albeit counter-intuitive, because the MiG-31 laden with a Kinzhal has a ~1,500 km strike radius on a hi-hi-hi mission at a subsonic cruise speed.
I think we need some Russians in here to comment on this, because it's not the widely held conception about the Kinzhal's range and frankly makes no sense at all. An Iskander-M does 500+km with a 700kg warhead from a ground-based TEL, and you're seriously telling me that a missile of the same size with a 480kg warhead and an independent RV launched at ~60kft from a MiG-31 at Mach 1.5+ still only has a range of 500km despite having a much higher speed of Mach 10 vs Mach 6? :rolleyes:

This belies the purpose of an air-launched ballistic missile: to rapidly position an otherwise ordinary surface launched ballistic missile where it needs to fire. A land-based battery of Iskanders might take several hours to move 200 kilometers south to strike a target 500 kilometers behind Ukrainian lines, while a MiG-31 can do it in about 20 minutes or so. This makes it useful for time critical targets.

Yeah, it's nonsense. The range of Kinzhal is a lot more than 500km ask @paralay and co.
The Tu-22M3 adds an additional 1,000 km to the "range" of the Kinzhal solely by having bigger fuel tanks than the MiG-31 and carries two. Which is to say, once we account for the differences in combat radius, the Kinzhal has the same "strike range" as the Iskander. An air-launched ATACMS would have little real range differences between a surface launched one too, but it is compromised because it had to fit inside a M269 LLM, while Iskander/Kinzhal had to fit inside the 9P71.

In other words, it would be similar to Kinzhal, but you can claim "1,000 km range" by combining JSF's ~700 km with ATACMS' ~300 km.
Yeah.... so what's Stratolaunch, Starliner and Pegasus XL all about again? ;) And how come an SL-AMRAAM launched from a truck has a range of only about 30-40km vs 120-160km when launched from a aircraft?

Last edited:
paralay said:
Using the Sputnik program, calculate the speed and flight range of a hypothetical rocket depending on the launch conditions.

Initial data:
Starting mass 3800 kg, fuel mass 2300 kg, mass after fuel production 1500 kg
The thrust of the engine at the ground is 100 kN, in vacuum 120 kN
The specific impulse at the earth is 2551 m/s, in vacuum 2700 m/ s
The diameter of the rocket is 0.72 m

Start conditions: height 0 m, speed 0 m/s, pitch 54 degrees
Active section 0 – 55.2 sec, speed at the end of the active section 1783 m/s, 6419 km/h, M=6
Flight time 350 seconds / 5.83 minutes, speed at the time of arrival 1247 m / s, 4493 km / h, M=3.67
Trajectory length 462 km, flight range 383 km, maximum flight altitude 113 km at 192 seconds

MiG-31I
Start conditions: altitude 15,000 m, speed 650 m/s, 2340 km/h, M =2.2, pitch 44 degrees
Active section 0 – 52 sec, speed at the end of the active section 2785 m/s, 10026 km/h, M=9.44
Flight time 483 seconds / 8.05 minutes, speed at the time of arrival 1815 m / s, 6534 km / h, M = 5.34
Trajectory length 1121 km, flight range 980 km, maximum flight altitude 229 km at 249 seconds

The range of the carrier without external tanks is 1178 km, the complex is 1178 km + 980 km = 2158 km (no more)
The range of the carrier with external tanks is 1568 km, the complex is 1568 km + 980 km = 2548 km (no more)

Su-34M
Start conditions: altitude 10000 m, speed 265.5 m/s, 956 km/h, M=0.9, pitch 48 degrees
Active section 0 – 52 sec, speed at the end of the active section 2332 m/s, 8395 km/h, M=7.9
Flight time 423 seconds / 7.05 minutes, speed at the time of arrival 1579 m/s, 5684 km/h, M=4.64
The trajectory length is 793 km, the flight range is 683 km, the maximum flight altitude is 175 km at 222 seconds

The range of the carrier without external tanks is 1178 km, the complex is 1354 km + 683 km = 2037 km (no more)
The range of the carrier with external tanks is 1615 km, the complex is 1615 km + 683 km = 2298 km (no more)

The AL-ATACMS launched outside enemy air space would still work when the latter happens, the deep penetration strikes will not. But hey, you still have the AARGM-ER, which seems to nearly fill the SiAW role anyway, so why spend money developing a clean sheet missile that does nearly the same thing, when you have an exsiting design that with some mild-mos and some kind of double-hinged, or spiral folding fins might even fit internally anyway and gives way more range and stand-off capability at the same price point?

I think there have been hints about a common manufacturing platform for AARGM-ER and SiAW that appeared compelling - there’s a Twitter link higher in this thread.

still the idea of AL-ATACMS is appealing insofar that ATACMS that were destined to be replaced by PrSM over the coming years find a new mission, that gives the US a capability . Ideally, given the lessons learned in Ukraine, production of both would be continued, especially if AL conversion kits were reasonable and practical.

I think there have been hints about a common manufacturing platform for AARGM-ER and SiAW that appeared compelling - there’s a Twitter link higher in this thread.

still the idea of AL-ATACMS is appealing insofar that ATACMS that were destined to be replaced by PrSM over the coming years find a new mission, that gives the US a capability . Ideally, given the lessons learned in Ukraine, production of both would be continued, especially if AL conversion kits were reasonable and practical.

ATACMS production ended years ago (I think c 2007). At this point, basing an air-launched missile off of PrSM makes far more sense.

ATACMS production ended years ago (I think c 2007). At this point, basing an air-launched missile off of PrSM makes far more sense.
Possibly, even using a 500lb warhead, you probably still get 600+km from an air launch.

Last edited:
No one is weaponizing the Army missiles. Whatever NG came up with, likely using the same rocket motor of AGM-88G, is going to fulfill the role. Again, cost of development, cost per round, and rate of production probably drive these decisions far more than capability. The PrSM line is going to be busy filling army needs and as far as I know ATACMs missiles are merely being regrained to ensure their motors work, not put back into production.

The range of a SRAM launched from an SR-71 was supposed to be something ridiculous, "SR-71 Origins and Evolution" quoted 500nm for a launch from an SR-71Bx at 90kft.

I think I have that book lying around and I remember reading about the proposed B-12 strike bomber (Which IIRC only got as far as engineering mockup stage before being cancelled by that arsehole McNamara) which would've carried either three of four AGM-69 SRAMs with a massive range.

Doesn't have much of a warhead though. Seems to have given up a lot to get that range in a small package.

Doesn't have much of a warhead though. Seems to have given up a lot to get that range in a small package.

Yes, I think only 200 lbs, which is almost HIMARS is size. But I think the goal was engaging soft point targets, so that was considered acceptable given superior range and double the firing load. Also I think it is a particularly sophisticated unitary warhead that is 3D printed, so it probably has an absolutely optimal fragmentation pattern. It’s basically a collection of layers of fragments in different sizes and shapes to produce a near perfect distribution, printed with just enough connections to make a single case that can be loaded with explosives.

I think best candidate for SIAW probably just an air launched PRSM

@paralay What range does the Sputnik calculator given for an Iskander-M from the ground with a 700kg warhead then (assume 220kg less fuel)?
Unfortunately, I am not very well versed in the settings of the Sputnik program. Yesterday it was not possible to make adjustments in terms of fuel weight and warhead. It can be assumed that with a decrease in fuel mass by 14%, the flight range will change as well

I understood how to calculate, the starting mass of 3800 kg is known, it is necessary to change the mass after generating 1800 kg of fuel, the mass of fuel is 2000 kg. The flight range is 227 km instead of 382 km, that is, 40 less%

Last edited:
Yes, I think only 200 lbs, which is almost HIMARS is size. But I think the goal was engaging soft point targets, so that was considered acceptable given superior range and double the firing load. Also I think it is a particularly sophisticated unitary warhead that is 3D printed, so it probably has an absolutely optimal fragmentation pattern. It’s basically a collection of layers of fragments in different sizes and shapes to produce a near perfect distribution, printed with just enough connections to make a single case that can be loaded with explosives.
It's exactly HIMARS size, but if you air launch it, it will probably get 700-900km even with a 227kg warhead or 300xM74 bomblets weighing 174kg total.

Unfortunately, I am not very well versed in the settings of the Sputnik program. Yesterday it was not possible to make adjustments in terms of fuel weight and warhead. It can be assumed that with a decrease in fuel mass by 14%, the flight range will change as well

I understood how to calculate, the starting mass of 3800 kg is known, it is necessary to change the mass after generating 1800 kg of fuel, the mass of fuel is 2000 kg. The flight range is 227 km instead of 382 km, that is, 40 less%
Kinzhal mass seems to be stated at 4,300kg and a Google search gives Iskander-M at 4,615kg. However, I've seen 3,800kg, 4,020kg and 4,615kg. There may be some conflation with the -E variant with less fuel. Kinzhal should be lighter than Iskander-M due to reduced warhead weight. 3,800kg might be missile weight minus warhead.

The Russian Iskander-M travels at a hypersonic speed of 2100–2600 m/s (Mach 6–7) and reaches an altitude of 50 km. With a weight of 4,615 kg, it carries a warhead weighing between 710–800 kg, boasting a range of 500 km.

SiAW is an NG product, likely based an AGM-88G which is also an NG product. Full stop.
For now, but that's not the final version according to sources.

How about AIR Lora as alternative to AL-ALTACMS
https://www.iai.co.il/p/air-lora
That's certainly not going to fit the inetrnal bays of an F-35 ;) and weighs 1,600kg but still good for stand-off. A M1.5 launch at 40kft should give around 950km, maybe 1000km at 50kft. Blue Sparrow or Silver Sparrow might not make a bad stand-off weapon for an F-15EX either.

Last edited:
That's certainly not going to fit the inetrnal bays of an F-35 ;) and weighs 1,600kg but still good for stand-off. A M1.5 launch at 40kft should give around 950km, maybe 1000km at 50kft. Blue Sparrow or Silver Sparrow might not make a bad stand-off weapon for an F-15EX either.
If it doesn‘t fit make it fit ;)

Last edited:
Posting for posterity since there isn't another thread for this:

• Lockheed designed the Mako for the Stand-in Attack Weapon competition, but they lost the competition to Northrop Grumman
  • The missile is hypersonic and can be carried internally in an F-35
  • According to Lockheed Martin, in reporting by Sandboxx News, “Mako does not travel in a pure arcing ballistic flight path. It is a true hypersonic weapon that operates and maneuvers in a high-altitude hypersonic regime”
View: https://x.com/AirPowerNEW1/status/1799506443374149731