A cityscape by Syd Mead commisioned by US Steel in 1968. The work is entitled 'Innovations'.

Attachments

• Innovations_Syd_Mead (1968).jpg
    Innovations_Syd_Mead (1968).jpg
    227 KB · Views: 87
The cover by artist & author William H. Keith for volume three of the 'Best of the Journal of the Travellers Aid Society' a supplement for the Traveller RPG collecting articles from the magazine published by Game Designers Workshop.
And obviously derived from the foreground craft in this Panther edition of Trader to the Stars

Attachments

• IMG_5841.jpeg
    IMG_5841.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 52
The cover by Tony Yates, to Laserburn a science fiction minitures combat game dating from 1980 by Bryan Ansell which is a distant ancestor of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40K setting.

Attachments

• Laserburn_CVR_1980.jpg
    Laserburn_CVR_1980.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
'Before The Golden Age' was an anthology edited by Isaac Asimov containing what he regarded as the best of the science fiction written before John W. Campbell Jr became editor of what later became Analog Magazine.

While the US editon comprised a single book, in the UK it was published as a multi-volume set by Futura in 1975 with republications by other UK publishers in later years. The attached image from my collection is of the cover of the third volume of the edition released by Orbit in 1978. According to the ISFDB (Where the full wraparound cover can be viewed.) the cover is by Colin Hay and was repurposed for the TTA series in the 1980s

Attachments

• Before_The_Golden_Age_Three.jpg
    Before_The_Golden_Age_Three.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 18
The cover by Paul Alexander for 'Isaac Azimov's Wonderful Worlds Of Science Fiction 2: The Science Fictional Olympics' a 1984 anthology edited by Isaac Azimov, Martin H. Greenberg and Charles G. Waugh. The cover is depicting the start of the solar sailing race in Arthur C. Clarke's short story 'The Wind From The Sun'.

I also have a small correction to make, the cover to the first volume in the series 'Intergalactic Empires' is the image that I showed in post 11 of this thread where I stated it appeared on the cover of one of the 'Best of Trek' anthologies. Paul Alexander did indeed do illustrations for the covers of the 'Best of Trek' series, but not the image I posted earlier in this thread.

Attachments

• Wonderful_Worlds_Of_Science_Fiction_Paul_Alexander.png
    Wonderful_Worlds_Of_Science_Fiction_Paul_Alexander.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Just spotted this one on twitter/x
GPnM0kEX0AASHJ0

Vincent Di Fate cover art for "Mayflies" by Kevin O'Donnell, Jr., 1979

Courtesy of the Internet Archive, here are the covers for 'The Best of Trek' volumes 6, 8, 9 & 11, all of which were done by Paul Alexander. The cover to issue 11 features a 'The Black Hole' derived spacecraft that is a cousin to the ship that appears on the front cover of 'Isaac Azimov's Wonderful Worlds Of Science Fiction 1: Intergalactic Empires', that I posted earlier in this thread misidentifying it as a 'Best of Trek' cover

Attachments

• The Best Of Trek_06.png
    The Best Of Trek_06.png
    493.6 KB · Views: 17
  • The Best Of Trek_08.png
    The Best Of Trek_08.png
    605.4 KB · Views: 17
  • The Best Of Trek_09.png
    The Best Of Trek_09.png
    465 KB · Views: 17
  • The Best Of Trek_11.png
    The Best Of Trek_11.png
    543.2 KB · Views: 21
I never got to see no. 11

What did the original TREK magazine covers look like.

Last edited:
I never got to see no. 11

What did the original TREK magazine covers look like.
I never saw them either. Some quick web searching did however uncover a Star Trek fan-story I read parts of when I was much younger.

The backstory is interesting. The third issue of a Sci-Fi Fanzine called 'Warped Space' featured an altered history 'Star Trek' tale entitled 'The Sixth Year' by Ed Zdrojewski.

This inspired author/artist Leslie Fish to write a sequel. A full blown fan-fiction epic entitled 'The Weight' which was published between 1976 - 1979 in various issues of 'Warped Space'.

In 1988 'The Weight' and other pieces of fan-fiction related to it were published in a volume entitled 'The Weight Collected & Other Stories', the cover attached was by Leslie Fish, who indicated that 'The Weight' was to have been part one of a trilogy, but the other portions never materialized.

Attachments

• The_Weight_Collected_and_Other_Stories.png
    The_Weight_Collected_and_Other_Stories.png
    907.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The Paul Alexander cover to 'The Best of Trek' volume 10.

Attachments

• The_Best_Of_Trek_10.png
    The_Best_Of_Trek_10.png
    297.9 KB · Views: 18
Here are the covers by British SF artist Eddie Jones for 'The Best of Trek' volumes 1-5 & 7. He was succeeded by Paul Alexander who's covers for volumes 6, 8-11 have been posted earlier in the thread.

Attachments

• The_Best_Of_Trek_01.png
    The_Best_Of_Trek_01.png
    302.5 KB · Views: 16
  • The_Best_Of_Trek_02.png
    The_Best_Of_Trek_02.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 16
  • The_Best_Of_Trek_03.png
    The_Best_Of_Trek_03.png
    280.2 KB · Views: 16
  • The_Best_Of_Trek_04.png
    The_Best_Of_Trek_04.png
    304.1 KB · Views: 16
  • The_Best_Of_Trek_05.png
    The_Best_Of_Trek_05.png
    296 KB · Views: 16
  • The_Best_Of_Trek_07.png
    The_Best_Of_Trek_07.png
    310.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Here are the covers by British SF artist Eddie Jones for 'The Best of Trek' volumes 1-5 & 7. He was succeeded by Paul Alexander who's covers for volumes 6, 8-11 have been posted earlier in the thread.
I cant help but notice that the ship on the cover of tbot 3 bears more than a passing resemblance to the Starstreak from 1979s The shape of things to come.
SHAPE_05.jpg

Interestingly the saucer section could detach.

Its actually a pretty dreadful movie with nothing in common with the original 30s sf classic.

I can remember seeing the poster for it and thinking how cool it all looked only to be rather disappointed by the fact that the giant robots were in fact only human sized and there wasnt a blaster/laser gun/phaser etc to be seen.
MV5BYjE3NWI1ZWEtNjk2ZC00YmU0LTliN2QtMGJlYTQzOTI0MWQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg

Jack Palance was in that IIRC.

Over at the Trekbbs, some folks have tried ship art based on those covers—Warped9 is a member who did some—my Google-fu is weak.

Some examples of his work

More
View: https://www.google.com/amp/s/retroscifiart.tumblr.com/post/628915609559810048/art-by-eddie-jones-for-the-best-of-trek-edited-by/amp

Two covers by Boris Vallejo for the Pocket Books 'Star Trek' series. Both stories are by authors known for their work outside 'Star Trek'.

Greg Bear's 'Corona' reputedly originated in a script the author had written for the failed 1970s 'Star Trek' revival.

Barbara Hambley's 'Ishmael' has an interesting backstory as well. Around the time the original series of 'Star Trek' was airing, another channel had a western set series called 'Here Come The Brides', several of the cast appeared on 'Star Trek' as Klingons, the series villain was played by Marc Lenard...

Attachments

• Corona_FCVR.jpg
    Corona_FCVR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Ishmael_FCVR.jpg
    Ishmael_FCVR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
The cover by Peter Ellson for 'Welcome To Mars' by James Blish, the British author who novelized the original series of Star Trek. The spacecraft depicted on the cover may have been partial inspiration for one of the ships on the cover of 'The Best of Trek, Volume 7'.

Attachments

• Welcome_To_Mars.jpg
    Welcome_To_Mars.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 21
The cover artist who succeded Paul Alexander as the cover artist for the series 'The Best of Trek' was John Harris who supplied covers for volumes 12 - 16. I believe some of the images created for the series were recycled for other books.

Attachments

• The Best Of Trek_16.png
    The Best Of Trek_16.png
    262.5 KB · Views: 16
  • The Best Of Trek_15.png
    The Best Of Trek_15.png
    259.1 KB · Views: 13
  • The Best Of Trek_14.png
    The Best Of Trek_14.png
    262.1 KB · Views: 13
  • The Best Of Trek_13.png
    The Best Of Trek_13.png
    281.1 KB · Views: 13
  • The Best Of Trek_12.png
    The Best Of Trek_12.png
    284.5 KB · Views: 14
I have finally found images of the physical rotoscoped for the 1980 Filmation FLASH GORDON

More

The 'Best of Trek' series ended in the mid 1990s with two volumes, 'The Best of Trek' (the unnumbered volume 17) and 'The Best of Trek, Volume 18' both covers were by David Mattingly.

Attachments

• The Best of Trek_17.jpg
    The Best of Trek_17.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 10
  • The Best of Trek_18.jpg
    The Best of Trek_18.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 12
I have finally found images of the physical rotoscoped for the 1980 Filmation FLASH GORDON

More
Awesome article.
I remember watching both space academy and jason of star command back in the day.
It also shows you just how incredibly expensive doing an sf show was prior to cg,the sheer cost of building models and effects shots would`ve eaten up a big chunk of the budget,so its not surprising that these tended to be reused over and over each episode.
You can really appreciate the skill and artistry involved on the part of the model makers and the special effects technicians who had to work for days to produce these shots which would often only appear for seconds on screen but were nonetheless critical to the finished product.

From my own collection, the cover by Keith Scaife for the 1996 UK paperback release of 'Shadow Hunter', author Will Baker's 1993 debut science fiction novel.

Attachments

• Shadow_Hunter.jpg
    Shadow_Hunter.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 17
In the 1980s Orbit books reprinted the fiction of James White. John Harris was the artist selected to do the covers. The attached cover is from my collection and is for 'All Judgement Fled' (1969), one of the author's non-Sector General novels.

Attachments

• All_Judgement_Fled_1987_CVR.jpg
    All_Judgement_Fled_1987_CVR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Jack McDevitt's 'Alex Benedict' series (1989 - 2023) is a series of science fiction mystery stories. John Harris supplied covers for books 2 - 8. In my own collection I have the fifth ('Echo' (2010)) and sixth ('Firebird' (2011)) volumes in the series.

Attachments

• Echo_2010_CVR.jpg
    Echo_2010_CVR.jpg
    772 KB · Views: 8
  • Firebird_2011_CVR.jpg
    Firebird_2011_CVR.jpg
    795.8 KB · Views: 7
The cover by Dean Ellis to the 1970 American release of 'All Judgement Fled' (1969) by James White. Note that the tagline is different from the one used on the cover of the 1987 Orbit edition.

Attachments

• All_Judgement_Fled_1970_CVR.jpg
    All_Judgement_Fled_1970_CVR.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 21
Not cover art, but the moment of 'First Contact' in James White's 'All Judgement Fled' (1969), this image by Ed Morrow comes from the 1967/68 serial version published in 'If' (aka 'Worlds Of If') magazine and is an inversion of some classic 'contact' tropes...

Attachments

• All_Judgement_Fled_First_Contact_Ed_Murrow.png
    All_Judgement_Fled_First_Contact_Ed_Murrow.png
    411.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Not cover art, but the moment of 'First Contact' in James White's 'All Judgement Fled' (1969), this image by Ed Morrow comes from the 1967/68 serial version published in 'If' (aka 'Worlds Of If') magazine and is an inversion of some classic 'contact' tropes...
Keep in mind that any aliens looking bizarre or even repulsive to us would most likely have the very same view of us. Look out for intelligence and intellectual openness, peacefulness, and friendliness, not beauty or attractiveness. Behavior is the top criterion, not looks. Also, spiders are (mostly) on team humanity/earth ecology...

Last edited: