They bought 36 Gripens for $5bn including setting up local assembly then added another 4. However Brazilian government are short of money due to slowing economy so are considering second hand F-16 C/D despite their inferiority as they could be at a bargain basement price. (Argentina bought 24 for just $300m)

So Brazil will purchase old F-16s for similar to what Argentina did which was $300m and leave the Gripen purchase at 36 by the looks of things because of the economy is not going so well now.

There are bazillions of second-hand F-16s available on the market. Such as those, ex- USAF, stored at Davis Monthan. Or leftovers from Europe: 348 procured 50 years ago, 315 brought to MLU 25 years ago.
Think we will see more and more deals like that. Which will probably finish to bury Gripen exports, as much as F-35 did.
South America is one of those lucky places not immediately threatened by the "usual suspects" a) China b) Russia c) crazy whacky Middleast.

What is wrong with the Gripens? I thought that they had agreed to purchase them at a fair price originally?
Nothing. The problem is the Brazilian government has no money, and the military is a prime target for 'cutting costs'. Since there is a non-insignificant choice the Armed Forces would mutiny if the cutting falls on their pensions, onto equipment it goes.

Mind you, I'm not quite sure this will go on - the news may very well been leaked as form of pressure against cutting Gripen acquisitions, and there always is the option of 'buying neither', if things are truly dire. But the government is feeling the pinch...

second hand Mirage 2000s
I think they're already retired quite long ago.

There are bazillions of second-hand F-16s available on the market. Such as those, ex- USAF, stored at Davis Monthan. Or leftovers from Europe: 348 procured 50 years ago, 315 brought to MLU 25 years ago.
The thing is though, some air forces require fresher airplanes, like Korea for example. During the delays concerning KF-X decisions, they were actively looking around for used Falcons and Hornets as a stop gap, but every available airframes were deemed too old/fatigued. Must be the case for severl other AF as well.

So not every AF would be looking for those used aircrafts, only the most broke ones.

Mind you, I'm not quite sure this will go on - the news may very well been leaked as form of pressure against cutting Gripen acquisitions, and there always is the option of 'buying neither', if things are truly dire. But the government is feeling the pinch...
That must be truly dire situations though, considering the fact that their Mirage IIIs were already retired without proper replacement (apart from the second hand Mirage 2000s that were only just a stop gap). From what I understand, their first batch of Gripens are meant to replace F-5, so still no replacement for M IIIs.

Brazilian AF were talking about a likely second batch (AMX replacement) with a possible third batch (fill the gap the Mirage III retirement has left) and now I don't see the F-5s and AMX not getting replaced.

South America is one of those lucky places not immediately threatened by the "usual suspects" a) China b) Russia c) crazy whacky Middleast.
Then again, they don't need any SSNs (or any aircraft carriers or air defence ships) if we simply consider their regional peers. What Brazil really wants is to become a regional power with force projection capability. It just hasn't gone their way until now because there has been a lack of fundamentals (economics) but we'll see how it pans put in the coming decades.

Anyhow, even if they get the second-hand falcons, they'll eventually beed a replacement sooner than the Gripens.

So Brazil will purchase old F-16s for similar to what Argentina did which was $300m and leave the Gripen purchase at 36 by the looks of things because of the economy is not going so well now.
I know that the Gripens were originally procured to replace the F-5s, but having the second hand F-16s as replacement makes sense in the short to possibly medium term if your goal is to pump up the available BVR capable airframe numbers (if you were senslng the tensions heating up?).

immediately threatened by the "usual suspects" a) China b) Russia c) crazy whacky Middleast.
Gee, I wonder why the Middle East is/has always been so "crazy whacky" (!)

That must be truly dire situations though, considering the fact that their Mirage IIIs were already retired without proper replacement (apart from the second hand Mirage 2000s that were only just a stop gap). From what I understand, their first batch of Gripens are meant to replace F-5, so still no replacement for M IIIs.

Brazilian AF were talking about a likely second batch (AMX replacement) with a possible third batch (fill the gap the Mirage III retirement has left) and now I don't see the F-5s and AMX not getting replaced.
Strictly speaking, the first Gripen batch is replacing the Mirage IIIs - 1st Air Defense Group at Anápolis is the unit receiving them. Second batch would go to a F-5 unit. Problem is that, as usual in the Brazilian Armed Forces, everything needs replacement now. AIUI, numbers(66 airframes, IIRC) would partially cover the Mirage and F-5 fleet(to replace everything, there would need to be some 100-120 airframes, if I'm remembering right).

Strictly speaking, the first Gripen batch is replacing the Mirage IIIs - 1st Air Defense Group at Anápolis is the unit receiving them. Second batch would go to a F-5 unit. Problem is that, as usual in the Brazilian Armed Forces, everything needs replacement now. AIUI, numbers(66 airframes, IIRC) would partially cover the Mirage and F-5 fleet(to replace everything, there would need to be some 100-120 airframes, if I'm remembering right).
Oh, I see. Though one way or the other, the thing is that there's a capability gap that was left/will be left after the retirements.

I don't think that all the legacy squadron needs a 1-to-1 replacement, since Gripens are much more capable aircrafts compared to anything it is replacing + the potential peers in the region stagnated/regressed in terms of military capability. Though in terms of pure quantity, I think they want to keep at least 70-80 aircraft-strong fleet.

The Brazilian test aircraft appears to have them.

gripen-teste-quente-umido_02.jpg

This article suggests most test aircraft now have the change and its been incorporated into the production line. It may well be that particular aircraft was too far along in production to change on the assembly line.

US DoJ opens an investigation on 2014 Brazilian Saab contract:

Saab notes its role in the Gripen deal has passed muster with judicial authorities in both Sweden and Brazil.
“These investigations were closed without indicating any wrongdoings by Saab,” the company says.
That conclusion was apparently not satisfactory for authorities in Washington, who are likely investigating Brasilia’s decision at the behest of US airframer Boeing.

Brazil’s fighter procurement programme, known as FX-2, took place between 2008 and 2014, pitting Saab’s latest Gripen E/F against the Boeing F/A-18/E/F Super Hornet and the Dassault Rafale F3 to replace the FAB’s Dassault Mirage 2000Cs.
Although the French airframer at one point appeared to have the edge, Saab ultimately prevailed. At the time of its awarding in 2014, the contract for 36 jets was valued at $4.5 billion.

US DoJ opens an investigation on 2014 Brazilian Saab contract:

That's almost certainly under the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, which is positively draconian. About as easy to break as the UK Official Secrets Act, with with fines that scale immensely.

South American governments do this kind of stuff all the time; they try to go for the cheapest option and a few years down the road turns out it was a bad idea. Example the Peruvian mig-29s; they bought second hand ones and later they couldn’t get the Russians to service the Airplanes unless they purchased some Migs from Russia. Then there is Colombia’s K-firs, those are probably not flying anymore; instead they should have purchased something new with a longer life cycle.

South American governments do this kind of stuff all the time; they try to go for the cheapest option and a few years down the road turns out it was a bad idea. Example the Peruvian mig-29s; they bought second hand ones and later they couldn’t get the Russians to service the Airplanes unless they purchased some Migs from Russia. Then there is Colombia’s K-firs, those are probably not flying anymore; instead they should have purchased something new with a longer life cycle.
Not sure what is implied here regarding the F-39? A brand new aircraft with a very long service life ahead of it still and a very important client to Saab looking to sell even more Gripen E/F. Most certainly not a bad buy.

Not sure what is implied here regarding the F-39? A brand new aircraft with a very long service life ahead of it still and a very important client to Saab looking to sell even more Gripen E/F. Most certainly not a bad buy.
Brazil/BRICS warning shot?

Brazil/BRICS warning shot?
I have heard this investigation was due to Boeing lobbying, but Boeing has more pressing things to lobby for at the moment, so it doesn't make much sense. Those who say that everything is the fault of 'the joos' are saying that this comes as a result of the Brazilian Defense Minister openly saying the acquisition program of wheeled howitzers for the Brazilian Army(won by the Israeli ATMOS) was on hold 'due to ideological reasons', but that doesn't pass the smell test either. A warning shot, as it were, is quite plausible, but what for?

Does anyone have any photo showing the physical appearance different between JAS-39C/D and JAS-39E/F?

I was talking
I was talking about the speculation that Brazil was getting used f-16.

Does anyone have any photo showing the physical appearance different between JAS-39C/D and JAS-39E/F?
I've been looking for a basic side-by-side 3-views comparison as well but I haven't found anything really useful.

Attachments

• BcjUzzyCIAEVnQ_.jpg
    BcjUzzyCIAEVnQ_.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 16
  • gripenngcloadout.jpg
    gripenngcloadout.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 15
Serious question: What is the USA going to do about when they find something wrong with the acquisition of the Gripens? Force the Brazilians to dump their Gripens in the ocean? Force them to buy high quality "made by Boeing" ( Whos motto is " We never do anything wrong" ) F-18's? (That last statement may contain some almost factual information....)

Serious question: What is the USA going to do about when they find something wrong with the acquisition of the Gripens? Force the Brazilians to dump their Gripens in the ocean? Force them to buy high quality "made by Boeing" ( Whos motto is " We never do anything wrong" ) F-18's? (That last statement may contain some almost factual information....)
Sanction them, which'll push them further to China. So far they've been enjoying a lot of high-tech investments from China without much political commitment in exchange (slightly American-leaning non-alignment) to BRICS but they'll have to get more involved (which is fine in this day and age).

These days the dummies in charge of the US be like:

YOU GET SANCTIONED

YOU GET SANCTIONED

EVERRRYYYBODYYY GETS SANCTIONEEDDDD!!!!!!!!

Oprah-You-Get-A.jpg

It sounds like an FCPA investigation, which means some bigass fines for SAAB to pay. Potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in fines.