Which is the better piston fighter if they both gone to production?

• XP-72

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Spiteful F.16

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Do we have any information about spiteful time to altitude ?
All I could see about spiteful is climb rate at 2000ft

Spiteful: 4890 ft/min (24.8 m/s) at 2000 ft. No additional information

XP-72 with twin props: 5250 ft/min (26.67 m/s) at sea level, take 3.8 min to climb to 20,000 ft

P-51H: 5120 ft/min (26 m/s) at sea level, take 4.58 min to climb to 20,000 ft

XP-51G: take 3.58 min to climb to 20,000 ft

F4U-5: 4840 ft/min (24.58 m/s) at sea level, take 4.7 min to climb to 20,000 ft
Spiteful XIV 4m54s to 20000ft

Thank you but where did you got that number from? I can't find Spiteful climb rate anywhere
Took it down so long ago I thought it might be from a book. Just searched those most likely, but didn't find anything, so sorry idk. Can only assure that I'm not making it up. Inital climb for the F.15: 24,1m/s btw, again ? source; never thought anybody would ask or that I would have any answer on the subject.

Took it down so long ago I thought it might be from a book. Just searched those most likely, but didn't find anything, so sorry idk. Can only assure that I'm not making it up. Inital climb for the F.15: 24,1m/s btw, again ? source; never thought anybody would ask or that I would have any answer on the subject.
Thank you alot anyway

The Spiteful never entered service. The few that actually flew were used for testing and evaluation. Apparently with different engines and propellers. I'm not so sure firm numbers for a production or "in-service" Spiteful really exist. There are speed and climb rate numbers for particular aircraft but I didn't spot any time to 20,000 feet figures in the Morgan and Shacklady book.

The Spiteful never entered service. The few that actually flew were used for testing and evaluation.

I have no doubt that if the War had lasted another six months the Spiteful would've entered production.