B-21 is following the B-2 path, production tooling, six FSD aircraft but with an accelerated LRIP phase. Should see the second 21 first flight soon. B-21 moving somewhat quicker due to the B-21 being more than likely a "180" derivative, safe guess.

I think the faster time lines are due to advances in digital modeling and the fact that the B-21 program was limited to technologies with a readiness level of 6. The modeling probably played a big role in allowing NG to build the prototype aircraft with full systems on production tooling.

I suspect all four EMD aircraft are raised to production standards, assuming any modifications are even necessary. That does not preclude those airframes from being used for testing.
It would be even better if the test aircraft are brought to full-rate production standards - since nothing would be a "well, that only applies to the test aircraft" item.

It would be even better if the test aircraft are brought to full-rate production standards - since nothing would be a "well, that only applies to the test aircraft" item.
You need extra instrumentation on the test aircraft, and what you find during testing may influence the final production standard (cf the F-35B needing a redesigned bulkhead). The only way to build test aircraft to final production standard is if you have a time machine. You can update them later, but some of the changes may not be cost effective.

You need extra instrumentation on the test aircraft, and what you find during testing may influence the final production standard (cf the F-35B needing a redesigned bulkhead). The only way to build test aircraft to final production standard is if you have a time machine. You can update them later, but some of the changes may not be cost effective.
See also the Tranche 1 Typhoons. One of the bulkheads can't take any more holes in it, or any larger holes, so those planes cannot be updated to Tranche 2 spec.

Which is why I said "brought to" and NOT "built to"!

Which is why I said "brought to" and NOT "built to"!
Which was why I edited myself (I did misread it initially) to note it may not be cost effective. But if you've drilled and wired the aircraft for strain gauges and the like, then ever getting them to production standard may be difficult. In any case, you're likely to have a continuing need for test aircraft, cf the Eurofighter test fleet adding three new Instrumented Production Aircraft in recent years, so converting all aircraft to production standard may not make sense.