Testing new equipment TomS? Certainly is weird though, from all the recent photos that I have seen of the B-21.

Lots of weirdness. The angle of the air data probe looks like it changed, and there might be a skin or film over that flush air data sensor array.

The image that Brian Everstine posted also shows panel lines around the air data probe fitting that aren't there in any of the airborne images I've seen. Usually taped or faired over for flight?
Could be photoshopped or they may be wanting to paint the ports same color as the skin. Point of reference, the YF-23 used a flush air data system and the ports were part of the skin, so you had to look real close to see the ports holes and the main port was right at the tip of the nose. The pitot tubes on the the YF-23 were the reference devices for the flush system. A production F-23 would have been all flush ports.

The image that Brian Everstine posted also shows panel lines around the air data probe fitting that aren't there in any of the airborne images I've seen. Usually taped or faired over for flight?
The image Brian Everstine posted was from the ground tests, likely before some prep work was done to get the plane 'flight test ready'.
Note that, in the first image (ground test), there is a big black outline around the probe. Now, look at the second image from the first flight, where the black area had been covered by some tape or material. So, yes, you are correct!

Interestingly, the markings for the Jackspots were also removed for the flight testing...?
1717189037282.png
1717189077403.png

I was considering the volume of the B-21s nose and wondering if it was possible to put an AESA radar in there, but then remembered the RQ-180 lineage and thought it might utilize an array of AESA TMR modules buried within leading and key trailing surfaces vs a more conventional setup? Sorry for the ignorant question.

I was considering the volume of the B-21s nose and wondering if it was possible to put an AESA radar in there, but then remembered the RQ-180 lineage and thought it might utilize an array of AESA TMR modules buried within leading and key trailing surfaces vs a more conventional setup? Sorry for the ignorant question.
The B-2 has two AESA arrays. I don't see why not. (Don't expect them to be where they are on a fighter.)

Some people think that the two cheek mounted patches, including where the external air probe is on the first machine, are a pair of AESA radars. I personally suspect it has 360 degree coverage, though exactly where arrays are mounted seems unlikely to be absolutely established in the public domain any time soon.

So the B-21 will have two AESA radars reletively in the same position as the B-2. And will they be frequency jumping radars as well? I seem to remember reading somewhere at the time of the B-2 reveal that it had that capability.

So the B-21 will have two AESA radars reletively in the same position as the B-2. And will they be frequency jumping radars as well? I seem to remember reading somewhere at the time of the B-2 reveal that it had that capability.
Low Probability of Intercept (LPI) radars are so commonplace now that it'd be malpractice/treasonous if the B-21 didn't have them. I'd expect the Raider's AESAs to be a generation past the F-35's and be freakishly capable.

So next generation AESA radar with more advanced technology outside of the radar on the F-35. I like the sound of that Jeb.

Any modern radar is AESA and this frequency agile. The question I would have is whether they are GaN or not; the design was frozen in 2018 so the radars might be a little dated. On the other hand NG makes theGaN AESA for F-35 blk 4.

the other question: is there any rearward facing radar? I have not seen any evidence of one yet.

A rearward facing radar on the B-21 would be interesting as that would give the bomber some way of being able to track targets that are threatning the Raider and quite posible to engage them as well.

It would seem silly not to put as much sensor and compute capability as possible on the B-21. If you’re gonna put an airframe like a Raider into a contested space you might as well soak up every EM detail one can, no?

It would seem silly not to put as much sensor and compute capability as possible on the B-21. If you’re gonna put an airframe like a Raider into a contested space you might as well soak up every EM detail one can, no?

Antennas and apetures suck.

The B-21 more than likely will have two very advanced LPI AESA arrays, 360 deg coverage passive peripheral arrays, no active countermeasures (chaff/flares), no AINS (star tracker) and will more than likely have some dorsal mounted antennas, all these will all be more advanced than the B-2 I assume. Whats interesting are the cylindrical (looks to be) upper and lower pop-out antennas, they don't seem to be for flight test only. Plus what other magical tech we may not know about for a very long time. The other thing is the unique OML LO surface texture and treatments, this is really different compared to other LO platforms, 30+ years of LO evolution post-B-2, I assume adopted from the "RQ-180".

That surprises me. AINS means you don't have to depend on GPS for positioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, If you don't see AINS on rollout and publicity photos it doesn't mean it's absent.

I was talking about the AINS being burried much like what the EOTS system is on the F-35, but in a way that still allows it to see the sky through a small window that does not affect the stealth qualities of the B-21.

I have an impression you don't understand what you are talking about. What has targeting system on F-35 with it's framed bottom aperture to do with astroinertial navigation system with top flush circular window on B-2?

Still needs to be able to see the sky, though. So there should be some topside aperture where it's visible.

Sure. But we haven't seen anything close to a detailed overhead shot of the B-21 that would tell us whether these is a suitable aperture or not.

If there is not, it's worth remembering that there was been work on quite a few alternative precision navigation tools as alternatives to GNSS. They could be using some version of terrain referenced navigation, for example.

To my knowledge, the only platforms which used the AINS:
A-12/SR-71
Snark
B-52
B-2
It's quite a pricey piece of equipment as well but yes, would be smart if the B-21 uses AINS.

B-1 does not use an AINS. The B-21 may or may not use one?
No use in nuclear war = no need in AINS. Actually B-1A/B nav system story is much more complicated AFAIR

No use in nuclear war = no need in AINS.
Not sure if I'd agree with you there. Not least because GPS is liable to be taken out by ASATs and such in the opening stages of any strategic exchange.

B-2 AINS nuke hardened like all the other avionics, would be good choice for B-21, plus built by Northrop.

If those squares are for air data, and they function when covered, as I assume they must unless they only did it because the test probe is attached (why?), what kind of sensor are they? My lay understanding is that the current state of the art flush air data sensors are laser based. Is it possible there is a different way to do it that works through a co-designed, sensor transparent RAM? Ultrasonic or microwave or something?