And the interesting bit in the article 'However, there are three outsiders in the mix as well, with bids received from Lithuanian company Jetcopter, Canada-based Bornea Dynamics, and, somewhat surprisingly, Deloitte – the international accountancy and consultancy firm.'
Well, Deloitte make their money by winning a consultancy contract, pitching a fantastic sounding set of changes with a superb set of powerpoints and then not hanging around for the result. I can see the attraction in military procurement, they can make an initial pitch, get the consultancy contract and then bail before being expected to have to actually make anything.

Interesting that the NGRC requirements are for only 12-16 troops and a ~5m long cabin. So they’re not asking for any more internal carrying capacity than an NH90 - not even clear that a rear ramp is required.

So my idea of an S-92 sized cabin is probably off. Removing the rear ramp does make a Racer-like solution with pusher props less problematic.

I imagine everyone is going to have trouble with the folding footprint requirement…

Interesting that the NGRC requirements are for only 12-16 troops and a ~5m long cabin. So they’re not asking for any more internal carrying capacity than an NH90 - not even clear that a rear ramp is required.

So my idea of an S-92 sized cabin is probably off. Removing the rear ramp does make a Racer-like solution with pusher props less problematic.

I imagine everyone is going to have trouble with the folding footprint requirement…
I suspect that two of the parameters in play with this decision are 1. cost (prime consideration), and 2. the desire to move only the smallest tactical unit in the platform. A senior infantry non-commissioned officer once told me "I can react better to the loss of a squad than I can of an entire platoon."

Attachments

• IMG_1852.jpeg
    IMG_1852.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 198
  • pm_38_669_669973-0538vqdofv.png
    pm_38_669_669973-0538vqdofv.png
    919.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
Good news for Airbus and the rotorcraft technologies and engineers of France, Germany, and the other European countries. Like the US, I would not be surprised to see the technologies of the NGRC spread across the continent. I suspect that the RACER will be the basis for the eventual design. Given its rapid achievements it would be surprising to see other options arise.

To add some additional context, it was not just Airbus that was awarded a contract - Leonardo and Sikorsky were as well.

Airbus’ headline makes it sound as though they were tapped to lead NGRC as a whole, when in reality they are one of three who were awarded to continue studies.

I heard European pilots biologically have testicles placed much deeper within their crotch, allowing for a higher tolerance of vibration so maybe sikorsky might actually win something this time
It's not just the balls that Raider and Defiant hammered during flight test. So many organs in the human body don't like massive vibrations... and that's assuming the cockpit displays can even be read.

Last edited:
Well as exciting as this will be, it is pretty obvious to me as to what to expect from the three competing teams. Lockheed Martin/Sikorsky changed the door layout on the Raider X and thus have a prototype in need of an engine [Sefran(?)]. I will be very surprised if RACER is not the option presented by Airbus. Leonardo I suspect will either propose a variation of the 609 or be announced as the developer of a European Future Long Range Assault Aircraft in conjunction with Bell.

There is a chance that there are other options that could be arrived at, but given our current aversion to risk, these options are about as radical as I think western nation states are willing to go.

Well as exciting as this will be, it is pretty obvious to me as to what to expect from the three competing teams. Lockheed Martin/Sikorsky changed the door layout on the Raider X and thus have a prototype in need of an engine [Sefran(?)]. I will be very surprised if RACER is not the option presented by Airbus. Leonardo I suspect will either propose a variation of the 609 or be announced as the developer of a European Future Long Range Assault Aircraft in conjunction with Bell.

There is a chance that there are other options that could be arrived at, but given our current aversion to risk, these options are about as radical as I think western nation states are willing to go.
I thought the 609 was explicitly prohibited from military developments?

Given the vulnerability of current helicopter drive systems to gunfire and high + rising cost of especially military grade helicopters see NH-90 for instance, it would seem "assault" and "helicopter" in the same title would either be short sighted or deceptive. "Assault Aircraft" even more off the mark.

I thought the 609 was explicitly prohibited from military developments?
That may be true, but a derivative of the 609 might get past the legalize. However, having thought about it a bit more I will have to agree with @Moose that it is likely that the 609 is really too small. Leonardo has been doing considerable work with larger tilt rotor for Clear Sky efforts, so that may be the genesis of a wholly Italian platform. The idea that the Bell FLRAA aircraft could be the start point is compelling.

That may be true, but a derivative of the 609 might get past the legalize. However, having thought about it a bit more I will have to agree with @Moose that it is likely that the 609 is really too small. Leonardo has been doing considerable work with larger tilt rotor for Clear Sky efforts, so that may be the genesis of a wholly Italian platform. The idea that the Bell FLRAA aircraft could be the start point is compelling.
The 609 is far too small... it was designed to land on pads that could handle a 412 and an aircraft that meets the NGRC requirements will be ~30,000+ lb instead of ~17,000 lb MGW. The 609 rotor controls aren't suitable for a military platform and much of the hardware is 25 years old at this point. Anything for NGRC will be a clean sheet design or based on FLRAA, if the sizing requirements align.

Just seen press release in my inbox

' Leonardo's Cascina Costa (Varese, Italy) site, the first ground run, with rotor testing, of the Next Generation Civil Tiltrotor (NGCTR) Technology Demonstrator (TD) took place. The next phase of the programme involves intensive testing in the coming months, with the aim of performing the first flight by the end of 2024 and then accumulating 200 flight hours to expand operational capabilities in helicopter and aircraft modes.'

1722629031703.png

cheers

Just seen press release in my inbox

' Leonardo's Cascina Costa (Varese, Italy) site, the first ground run, with rotor testing, of the Next Generation Civil Tiltrotor (NGCTR) Technology Demonstrator (TD) took place. The next phase of the programme involves intensive testing in the coming months, with the aim of performing the first flight by the end of 2024 and then accumulating 200 flight hours to expand operational capabilities in helicopter and aircraft modes.'

View attachment 735872

cheers
Well, it's got Valor engine pods on it, but the body looks more 609. interesting...

Wonder if this will actually get approved for civil flight?

I very much suspect that the Leonardo NGCTR will look a lot like the Future Long Range Assault Aircraft (FLRAA). A lot of discussion was observed at Farnborough, in the Bell chalet between Leonardo, UK and Netherlands with Bell. As mentioned in the FVL thread there is a lot of good reasons for this eventuality to be realized.