Moskva burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its easier to bloody research WW2 than it is to get viable info from this conflict - is the only statement I`m prepared to stand by.

How easy do you think it was to research WW2 while it was happening? How long did it take to get public confirmation of the number of Japanese ships sunk at Coral Sea?

So, you liked that old movie "is Paris burning ?" now discover the sequel "Is Moskva burning ?" (runs for cover)

Schrodinger’s ship - caught between death and life in the media of the world…

Also Heisenberg warship - uncertainity principle presently running high.
The wave function of the Moskva is stuck at both Afloat and Sunk; both Attacked and Mishap. These wave functions will collapse once it is observed.

Here's a montage of the Twitter cell phone video purportedly of the Moskva exploding.
View attachment 676878
Nope. Norwegian vessel from a few years ago.

Does Video Show Russian Warship Exploding?

As first noted by Bellingcat’s Eliot Higgins, this video was taken in 2013, and shows the KNM Trondheim, a Norwegian naval ship, being struck by a missile that was fired by the Norwegian Navy. According to Military.com, the recently decommissioned KNM Trondheim was used as target practice for Norway’s new 880-pound Naval Strike Missile:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um3_6NM6II4

Its easier to bloody research WW2 than it is to get viable info from this conflict - is the only statement I`m prepared to stand by.

How easy do you think it was to research WW2 while it was happening? How long did it take to get public confirmation of the number of Japanese ships sunk at Coral Sea?

I'm pretty sure the Japanese sailors livestreamed the battle. In the audio you can hear a bit of "tora tora tora" and a lot of "ara ara."

From the BBC-link in #49:
Late on Thursday, however, Russian state media broke the news that the ship had been lost.

"While being towed ... towards the destined port, the vessel lost its balance due to damage sustained in the hull as fire broke out after ammunition exploded. Given the choppy seas, the vessel sank," state news agency Tass quoted the ministry as saying.

From the BBC-link in #49:
Late on Thursday, however, Russian state media broke the news that the ship had been lost.

"While being towed ... towards the destined port, the vessel lost its balance due to damage sustained in the hull as fire broke out after ammunition exploded. Given the choppy seas, the vessel sank," state news agency Tass quoted the ministry as saying.
Well, if Russian state media confirms it... then I begin to doubt the existence of the Moskva. I'm becoming iffy on the subject of "water" and "fire" now.

As I understand it, due to the evident hostilities, the old Turkish naval treaty prohibits transit of a replacement via Dardanelles...
Yes, both of her sister ships are active in the Med from the North and Pacific fleets. Ironically they might have issues finding a place outside Syria to refuel and as such might have some issues making the voyage home while sanctions are in place. They might need to be tanked one at a time for the trip.

As I understand it, due to the evident hostilities, the old Turkish naval treaty prohibits transit of a replacement via Dardanelles...
Yes, both of her sister ships are active in the Med from the North and Pacific fleets. Ironically they might have issues finding a place outside Syria to refuel ...
If Moskva is anything to judge by, they might have issues not crumpling like a wet paper bag the next time some sailor decides to go smoking in the ammo magazine during a storm when Ukrainian farm boys are flying drones and launching rockets.

The Ukrainians could do worse than to contract with a blimp company to make a sizable lighter than air vehicle in the shape and color of a John Deere tractor, then simply stalk the ships in the Med. It'll drive the crew buggo.

Alternatively: what exactly is physically preventing them from transiting the Dardanelles? What, fear of breaking some rules?

Not exactly relevant but... ruh-roh:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjyk2vosUs

The USS The Sullivans is sinking.

The old one, not the new one.
View attachment 676893

Yeah, I had a moment when I first saw the headline. And since the video won't play here I figured I should make sure.

Local news coverage from Buffalo.

Yeah, I had a moment when I first saw the headline.

Getting back to the subject of the thread... I have little doubt that a whole bunch of people saw a headline that read in their language "Moscow has been struck by missiles and is burning" and had... a moment.

The rumors of the sinking of the "Moskva" have been greatly exaggerated...it seems.

View attachment 676853
well that aged well......
LOL. True.

TBF though it sank, it was fine, it rolled over and sank, it was proceeding to Sevastopol under its own power, it had reached Sevastopol successfully, it was under tow and then it sank. :D

Kind of coin-toss there at the end.

Half expecting it to turn up off Odessa and start shelling Ukrainian positions.

Last edited:
TBF though it sank, it was fine, it rolled over and sank, it was proceeding to Sevastopol under its own power, it had reached Sevastopol successfully, it was under tow and then it sank. :D

It burned down, fell over, THEN sank into the Black Sea. But don't worry: it has *huge* tracts of missiles.

*Shrug.* It's late. That's the best I could come up with.

It was a fluid situation. A strike! Panic-response...fires...flood the hold...listing a bit...towed-then rolls over. Musashi was down at the bows and you can counter flood only so much.

I feel that even in a decade we won't really know what happened during the whole war, but there will be gigabit dumps of tractor memes for historians to look at.

It may go down in history as War of the Memes (HG Wells missed a trick).

Sure WW2 was confusing at the time but news took time to get back from the front and was filtered by security constraints. Now we are used to 24-hour news and instant information retrieval. Now every smartphone-owning person can give you a live update, every person with internet access can post some random video from 5 years ago and claim it as a 'live' event, every person with image editing software can photoshop some dodgy image. Every event is grist for conspiracy rumour mill peddlers.

It was also 110 years to the day the Titanic sank too... *cue eerie music*

Firstly thats not even the comparison I was making, and secondly yes, I think if 83% of the planets population (one current estimate for 2022) had a device capable of recording and live streaming video and audio in 1940, it probably would have been pretty straightforward !

It burned down, fell over, THEN sank into the Black Sea. But don't worry: it has *huge* tracts of missiles.

*Shrug.* It's late. That's the best I could come up with.
BS.
It obviously died of natural cause. ;)

Half decent CNN article on this. I agree that it’s pretty pointless trying draw any lessons from this as regards the Taiwan and China situation being as all sides in that have across to far more capable weapons systems. I am guessing the Chinese deploy their most capable anti-ship systems in that area for a start.

I feel that even in a decade we won't really know what happened during the whole war, but there will be gigabit dumps of tractor memes for historians to look at.

It may go down in history as War of the Memes (HG Wells missed a trick).

Sure WW2 was confusing at the time but news took time to get back from the front and was filtered by security constraints. Now we are used to 24-hour news and instant information retrieval. Now every smartphone-owning person can give you a live update, every person with internet access can post some random video from 5 years ago and claim it as a 'live' event, every person with image editing software can photoshop some dodgy image. Every event is grist for conspiracy rumour mill peddlers.

It was also 110 years to the day the Titanic sank too... *cue eerie music*
aogLz4X_700bwp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.