Merriman's Submarine Modelling Masterclass

Just got back yesterday from the two-day event. Perfect weather, and a near perfect venue for scale r/c boat and submarine running.

It was as the Carmel Indiana Veteran's Memorial Reflecting Pool. Much thanks to Dave Hampton and his crew of the local, Indianapolis Admiral r/c model boat club for organizing and running this fun event.

Returning from the first r/c model boat regatta of the season -- this one at Carmel, Indiana -- Post Mission operations and checks had to be performed on hulls and SubDrivers: Cleaning the hulls, addressing mechanical, electronic, and propulsion problems encountered at the venue, airing out the cylinders, placing the batteries in safe storage, and putting the repaired and maintained SubDrivers to bed.

Seriously, take that Barbel-class you have with torpedo tubes out for fun.
The model you're likely referring to is my 1/96 BLUEBACK. It's a pain to get a launcher and weapons system to work well at such a small scale -- but I did it with this 1/96 THRESHER:

What a Plumber's nightmare that thing is!

Much easier to build and employ a 1/72 scale weapon-launcher system.

David

The model you're likely referring to is my 1/96 BLUEBACK. It's a pain to get a launcher and weapons system to work well at such a small scale -- but I did it with this 1/96 THRESHER:
Yeah, scale torpedoes would be ~0.22" in diameter or so at 1/96...

Blueback is probably easier to aim the torpedoes, since those rockets are straight line shooters and the Thresher design angles the tubes outboard...

As much as I truly love and admire your work, just posting the pictures without explanatory text is like watching a silent movie without title cards. But I completely understand if you really want to keep the tricks of your trade for yourself forever instead of teaching the next generation ;).

Last edited:
Yes, what is the teriyaki sauce and the olive oil, really?
Etching solutions to keep the putty from debonding?

As much as I truly love and admire your work, just posting the pictures without explanatory text is like watching a silent movie without title cards. But I completely understand if you really want to keep the tricks of your trade for yourself forever instead of teaching the next generation ;).
THERE ARE NO SECRETS. Only idiots who think there are secretes.

There simply is not enough time for me to take the pictures, post them, and spend hours writing narrative. So. I post the pictures, you look at them, and if you have need of explanation -- a narrative -- simply post your question here and I'll write up a complete narrative (usually supplemented with more detailed pictures) to address the issue.

Silent movies made the audience THINK, to fill in the blanks -- title cards were often a distraction.

So. Ask questions and I'll answer them.

If I was one of those idiots who thought there were secretes to hoard in this Craft then why in hell am I posting these pictures????

Yes, what is the teriyaki sauce and the olive oil, really?
Etching solutions to keep the putty from debonding?
You are correct, sir!

Pickling with acid oxidizes the metals surface producing microscopic pits onto the parts surface that works to mechanically hold filler, putty, primer and paint to the metals surface.

First, the acid bath followed by a water rinsing. The water spiked with baking soda -- the high pH of that water killing any remaining acid.

You, Sir, define and embody the very essence and meaning of what a labor of love actually means. I salute you, Sir!

Last edited:
You, Sir, define and embody the very essence and meaning of what a labor of love actually means. I salute you, Sir!
Very kind. Thank you. I have the advantage of knowing from age five what I was going to do with my life. No time wasted on pursuit of dead-end career paths -- I started on this one early and have not wavered from it for over seventy years.