Merriman's Submarine Modelling Masterclass

Some shapes just cannot be made any other way.

And some shapes need to be made better, like those 3d printed props you had to correct.

Says the guy with a pretty large pile of 3d printed miniatures on his to-paint pile.
It's time for me to be clear as to my problem with robots:

As our lazy society drops all its ability to work without electricity, the day will come when the electrons stop flowing and no one will have the skills to 'make things' with their own brain and hands. We will all die. The traditions -- now quickly fading away -- of Craft must be maintained or we eventually die off as a species. Remember shop class in school? Bring it back... in Spades!

I acknowledge that 3D printing does what I do faster, better, and cheaper than me. It's my selfish sense of pride that forces me to reject that kind of tool.

David
Luddite

It's time for me to be clear as to my problem with robots:

As our lazy society drops all its ability to work without electricity, the day will come when the electrons stop flowing and no one will have the skills to 'make things' with their own brain and hands. We will all die. The traditions -- now quickly fading away -- of Craft must be maintained or we eventually die off as a species. Remember shop class in school? Bring it back... in Spades!

I acknowledge that 3D printing does what I do faster, better, and cheaper than me. It's my selfish sense of pride that forces me to reject that kind of tool.
Oh, I agree that some problems exist.

My thing is that I greatly struggle to get an idea out of my head and into a 3d model I can show other people. If I can get a 3d model out of my head, I can get that made. It's a different skill set than working with my hands.

And I would not generally trust a 3d printed hull or car body to survive the typical abuses RC drivers do to their stuff. So, just like you just did here, 3d model acts as a master to make survivable uboat hulls.

Because there are people who really enjoy the 3d modeling part of that process, and other people who really enjoy the 3d printing part of it. And freaking klutzes like me can get a model of the Rocinante to print out in 8" cubical volumes from a filament printer and then print the details on resin, and then start using my kit building skills to end up with a model I like.

Oh, I agree that some problems exist.

My thing is that I greatly struggle to get an idea out of my head and into a 3d model I can show other people. If I can get a 3d model out of my head, I can get that made. It's a different skill set than working with my hands.

And I would not generally trust a 3d printed hull or car body to survive the typical abuses RC drivers do to their stuff. So, just like you just did here, 3d model acts as a master to make survivable uboat hulls.

Because there are people who really enjoy the 3d modeling part of that process, and other people who really enjoy the 3d printing part of it. And freaking klutzes like me can get a model of the Rocinante to print out in 8" cubical volumes from a filament printer and then print the details on resin, and then start using my kit building skills to end up with a model I like.
You like the result. I like the process.

I'm of the same mind. Part of the art of model making is crafting the parts yourself, not manufacturing them on a printer.

Very kind. Thank you. I have the advantage of knowing from age five what I was going to do with my life. No time wasted on pursuit of dead-end career paths -- I started on this one early and have not wavered from it for over seventy years.
I understand completely - the first time I watched a Gemini Titan launch on German black and white public TV when I was maybe 4 years old at most was when I got addicted to space exploration...

Last edited: